First time trike owner and first time Harley owner

Reaction score
Glad to find this forum. I am retiring and my wife and I decided to buy ourselves a retirement gift for both of us and we bought a 2016 Siver trike. We have had it for about a month and we love it and wondered why we did not do this sooner.
I have a couple of questions that I think maybe some of you more seasoned trikers can help me with:

1. I have the Stage 2 soundsystem and the rear speakers will distort real bad on occasion and the dealer can not find anything. Thinking about third party. We really enjoy the music.
  2. If I do not downshift all of the way to 1st while rolling to a stop, then I will have to take off in 2nd. This is most of the time but not always. Dealer suggested down shifting to first before I stop. Not really what I wanted to hear.
  3. I understand that sometimes finding neutral is normal.
  4. I want to put a little more umph when taking off. My wife, myself, and a little load for the trunk and a little more torque to get going would be nice.

Ride safe

I ride a Freewheeler so I can't offer help, but I can welcome you from San Antonio. If you two are ever in this area let me know so we can meet and ride.

Lola

Glad to find this forum. I am retiring and my wife and I decided to buy ourselves a retirement gift for both of us and we bought a 2016 Siver trike. We have had it for about a month and we love it and wondered why we did not do this sooner.

I have a couple of questions that I think maybe some of you more seasoned trikers can help me with:

1. I have the Stage 2 soundsystem and the rear speakers will distort real bad on occasion and the dealer can not find anything. Thinking about third party. We really enjoy the music.
  2. If I do not downshift all of the way to 1st while rolling to a stop, then I will have to take off in 2nd. This is most of the time but not always. Dealer suggested down shifting to first before I stop. Not really what I wanted to hear.
  4. I want to put a little more umph when taking off. My wife, myself, and a little load for the trunk and a little more torque to get going would be nice.

Ride safe

First of all, welcome to the group!! Regarding your desire to increase performance, I would highly recommend you call Kevin at DK Custom Products (one of the site sponsors) and just have a talk with Kevin about your desires regarding increased performance.

He is extremely knowledgeable regarding this subject and his firm also has all the products to make the correct choices right up front without experimenting on your own.

He also rides a TriGlide and will be your best bet for getting the correct information up front. Regarding your sound system, I have NO comments, and your question on the neutral issue I am not sure what to say as I have never had any difficulty in finding neutral either stopped or prior to stopping. I would suggest that you consider installing Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof transmission lubricant in your transmission if you have not already done so.

Good luck with your new ride, and enjoy!!

Roger

Welcome ..... Cant help on #1] my sound on my 11 Tri-Glide works well.

#2] I always down shift to first when rolling to a stop' I do that with every bike or trike I've ever had?

#3] Finding neutral is tricky, What i do is just a light tap on the heal shifter when stopped in first will solve the problem of finding neutral.

#4] I have ture-duels cat-less, and a stage 1 with the ECM Recalibration, And have no problems with acceleration, But i do ride solo....:Shrug:

Welcome to the forum as far as down shifting i some times have the same issue with my 17 if i dont shift down to first before stopping,what i have found that works for me is to release the clutch just enough to feel a pull then pull the clutch in and down shift pretty quickly,as far as finding neutral i have no issues,cant help with the sound system.

Welcome to the trike forum, quite a few on here know what they are talking about, as few have already explained

All for now Trampas

Welcome to knowledge central! Speakers: ck and die electric connections . No Work , try new speakers. The rest was already covered. :D

Howdy from central Texas! :wave4: Sounds like they've all given some sound advice. Nothing to add, it's great to have y'a here!... Welcome to the 3 wheelers club :clapping:

4. I want to put a little more umph when taking off.

My wife, myself, and a little load for the trunk and a little more torque to get going would be nice.

Ride safe

Congratulations on your retirement gift to yourselves, and welcome to the Forum!

I cannot help with the sound system.

When rolling to a stop in 2nd...after you are stopped, let out the clutch some until you are barely moving...even just 1 inch forward movement, then pull in the clutch and downshift into 1st. It should go with no problem.

Run the redline shockproof in your transmission, Syn3 in your primary, and make sure your clutch is properly adjusted, this should make finding neutral easy.

There is a lot of torque available in your Tri-Glide, for relatively little money.

My Tri-Glide is putting out 106 ft.

lbs. at the rear wheels with just a Performance Plus Stage I Kit.

There are a lot of options in Stage I Kits, and most of them do not deliver a significant increase.

Here's a LINK to a good overview on Stage I kits.

Feel free to write or call with any questions.

Kevin

Hi Ronnie, and welcome to the forums from Florida. I think everything has been covered except the speakers which I can't add to, congrats on the new ride,

Welcome to the Gang ... Most issues have been covered. As for the speakers, On my 15 Tri I had a distortion when new. Tech said he found the speaker loose in the box. Not sure how come that caused distortion, but after he tightened it the distortion went away. :Shrug:

Remove and put loctite or lock washers on all the pinch bolts in the shifter linkage.
This is a very well documented over-sight by H-D manufacturing that has stranded many on the road.

I adjusted the heel shifter 1 spline down. It slightly compresses the rubber floorboard when up shifting.
That makes it more comfortable .... and an easier heel tap to find neutral from first.

Put real gear oil into the tranny > Bel-Ray, Amsoil, Spectra, etc .... as long as it is real gear oil.
It will shift soooooo much better. (I use Bel-Ray 85W-140 all year round).

Welcome!

Bob :D

Welcome to the forum.

One thing I would add is DK Comfort Lift. As so many of us know, it makes the ride so much more comfortable and helps the steering too. Can put it on yourself in about 2 hours. The heel shifter method of finding neutral is the best. So easy. Also see Kevin at DK products for help with your torque. Kevin has some pics of a monster wheelstand on his TG. The good thing about them is Kevin rides more miles per year than most of us and before he sells a product, he tests the crap ourt of it in real world conditions. What works well on the dyno at the shop may not work in the field. Kevin's stuff is field tested and approved.

No I don't work for Kevin, am just a happy customer.

Good luck with your riding.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png