Voyager Licensing

Jun 18, 2014
Oak Harbor, Wa., USA
Finally installed a Voyager kit on my Vstar 950. I have taken the written knowledge test for a 3-wheel license and passed. Now, here is where I am confused - I know Washington state requires a 3-wheel endorsement, according to the literature on the Skills Test it states as follows:

"The following vehicles were identified as being unsuitable to be tested within the three wheel test:

Motorcycles with an installed stabilization conversion kit having wheels that may touch the ground at anytime."

What has been the experience of other Wa state residents? Did you call it a trailer and ride with the MC endorsement or try and borrow a trike? And to top it off, there's not even a 3-wheel skills class until January 2017.

Finally installed a Voyager kit on my Vstar 950. I have taken the written knowledge test for a 3-wheel license and passed. Now, here is where I am confused - I know Washington state requires a 3-wheel endorsement, according to the literature on the Skills Test it states as follows:

"The following vehicles were identified as being unsuitable to be tested within the three wheel test:

Motorcycles with an installed stabilization conversion kit having wheels that may touch the ground at anytime."

What has been the experience of other Wa state residents? Did you call it a trailer and ride with the MC endorsement or try and borrow a trike? And to top it off, there's not even a 3-wheel skills class until January 2017.

The issue here, to me, is you are not riding a true trike(3 wheeled), so, why take the a test for a 3-wheel license?
You are riding a 4 wheel vehicle, which by the way can be converted back and forth to a 2 wheel vehicle.

Stableization converstion kit is a motorcycle 2 wheeler with training wheels. I am sure any other 3 wheel converstion would be ok. Then again having a 3 wheeler indorsment is all new to me :Shrug:

I wonder if they are referring to those landing gear or ghost wheels type rigs.I think I remember reading here at one time that some states didn't like those things at all.Of course they may be referring to those and the voyager type rigs.

Wash State Trike endorsement

This a little confusing -
RCW 46.20.500:

(7) A person operating a motorcycle with a stabilizing conversion kit must have a valid driver's license specially endorsed by the director for a three-wheeled motorcycle to enable the holder to operate such a motorcycle.

It's a catch 22 as I have to have the endorsement yet I not allowed to use it to test on. The only option is to take the 3 day training class and use the company's trikes. I've ridden motorcycles and trikes for 50 years and wanted to just take the riding test. Kind of a bad deal.

On another note, can't even go to the DMV to take a written part of the test to get a motorcycle/trike learning permit; you have to use one of the state's contractors. I wonder who lobbied for all this - not the riders I bet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png