H-D M8; Bloom Is Off The Rose ................

MikeyTX

Dead animals deserve balloons...
May 9, 2016
Big Bend Country, TX
Over the past week, I've had the sales departments from no less than 4 different Harley dealers I've dealt with over the years call and ask if I would like to be part of a focus group to test ride the new M8, touring bike of my choice, then give my input.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Sure thing ............ Did not fall off the turnip truck and hit my head. Gives me the impression sales must be tanking already because of the bad press the engine is getting on the forums. They must be using records from either past bike sales or service write ups to cull phone numbers.

What bad press are you really talking about? Forums are a funny thing and things tend to get blown out of perportion. Not always but quite often by folks that really don't know what their talking about. Have only seen a few issues mentioned on the M8 no more than when the 96 and the 103 came out. Also have seen many positive postings as well.

This is is nothing new on forums.

Ride Safe All, :)
Bill G

Have you been following the M8 issues on any of the forums ?

I have seen a few oil leaks and an oil pump where the manufacturing vender did not clean out some metal shaving causing a failure. The oil leaks were improper installation. Also saw an issue where a breather passage was not drilled.

Inform me that is why I ask.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Last edited:
Been quite a few over on the H-D forum board. That along with the admission from several dealer service departments I've spoken to where I knew I'd get an honest answer.

Mikey, I am not sure if the bloom is off the rose specifically based on the reported M8 problem bikes/trikes? It may be that our Harley dealers are trying to capitalize on the new powerplant and the M8 is giving them a reason to contact old customers and try and get them to upgrade to 2017 bikes/trikes. I suspect that there is a somewhat discrete window where the new motors and limited upgraded features have some draw that may help to increase sales. As Bill G. pointed out, I think forums can tend to distort the frequency of problems that the MOCO is actually experiencing in the field?

I think the time of year being so close to the holidays and the laggard economy are forcing dealers to become more creative to get customers through the door for many of these "Taj Mahal" size dealerships with staggering overheads.

Been quite a few over on the H-D forum board. That along with the admission from several dealer service departments I've spoken to where I knew I'd get an honest answer.

Ok yes, I believe you but what was the main theme of the issues? Was it mainly one thing ore many. What were the issues your dealer buddies were seeing?

Bill G

- - - Updated - - -

Mikey, I am not sure if the bloom is off the rose specifically based on the reported M8 problem bikes/trikes? It may be that our Harley dealers are trying to capitalize on the new powerplant and the M8 is giving them a reason to contact old customers and try and get them to upgrade to 2017 bikes/trikes. I suspect that there is a somewhat discrete window where the new motors and limited upgraded features have some draw that may help to increase sales. As Bill G. pointed out, I think forums can tend to distort the frequency of problems that the MOCO is actually experiencing in the field?

I think the time of year being so close to the holidays and the laggard economy are forcing dealers to become more creative to get customers through the door for many of these "Taj Mahal" size dealerships with staggering overheads.

Great point exactly but you made it way way better than I did. ThumbUp

Ride Safe, :)
Bill G

Seals, sending units, pump failures related to particles in the oil.

Ok so it's nothing that I have not read about as stated. There was a batch of oil pumps according to forum postings. These post stated the outsourced manufacture of the oil pumps/components did not get all the metal shaving out of the passages. This mess up causing your listed issues.

we can only hope this is not a wide spread issue.

Ride Safe All, :)
Bill G

Im thinking the Bloom is off all roses... All bike sales are down' Also car and truck sales are down... Were at the end of a bubble right now.... Things are gonna get tighter this winter. Till the normal Heebie-Jeebies/worries about a new administration wear off.....:Shrug:

We will never know. It is not something the MoCo will make public. We only know about the failures that are posted to the forum. Just as we also are now hearing from those that haven't had issues. What we don't know and never will know is the overall ratio of failures vs non failures during the warranty period. It is however having an effect on sales as evidenced by the data mining dealers are doing in an effort to get people in for test rides in the hopes of selling them a new m/c with the M8. Add to that the issue of many dealers still having last years models still on the floor. Not good.

- - - Updated - - -

Ehhhhhh. Market's off to a flying start. The numbers have been fantastic.

I've had a gain of over 22k from the dumb asses that panic sold election eve when it became apparent Trump was going to win.

God bless them and their stupidity. The net gain after taxes just paid for my wife and 3 childrens Christmas presents. I'm sure the local Rolex AD was ecstatic when I wrote a check vs using plastic. :Coffee:

lol You are sooooooo funny. Not a chance. This '16 is my last. I've already made that decision. When this trike goes away, that's it. I'm not getting any younger. :AGGHH: I'm simply grateful to still be riding in my early 70's

- - - Updated - - -

And, it is more than evident to the rest of us here. It's time for you to do another fence inspection isn't ? :D .................:pepper:.............:clapping:

Issues with the M8??

I have a 17 Tri Glide, which I've only had a few weeks. Just turned 1K miles, so obviously not a lot of miles yet. I've had no issues, and I think the M8 is awesome.

Maybe I'm missing the "bad press". What issues are being reported?

Actually guys, I have seen this exact topic before....when the TwinCam came along.....

And, as I remember, it was not the best of economic climates then; but, it seem to have endured....and even evolve.

I do not have a M8; but I think they are a great step forward and think I may possibly. But, for now I will just ride my 2015 FLRT and ponder the future.

Springman

WHAT?
I have a good friend who is a #1 tech @ at a MN dealership, There are NO major issues with the M8
My local service manager was a lead tech for 25 years now a service manager and has NO info either, I dunno who started this and dont care I am a proud owner with a warranty til 2023 so bring it MOCO:) JMO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png