Dreaded CSC Driveshaft Failure

rhino65

250+ Posts
Reaction score
Well got underneath of my CSC trike degreased yesterday and inspected the driveshaft. Just my luck it does have 2 cracks on rubber donut. Considering the Mountain Trike shaft. I realize it could last another 1k miles or go another 10k or more. This is the 2nd driveshaft since kit was installed according to receipts that came with trike when I purchased it last Friday

Since you recently purchased your trike and evidently plan on keeping it awhile, I would suggest you invest in the upgraded rear end which apparently resolves their problems. I think it's about a $1,000 but maybe someone on here who has had it done can give you more specific info.

A friend here with a 2008 has his changed and loves it. Particularly loves not having to worry about it any longer.

Good luck!

Well got underneath of my CSC trike degreased yesterday and inspected the driveshaft. Just my luck it does have 2 cracks on rubber donut. Considering the Mountain Trike shaft. I realize it could last another 1k miles or go another 10k or more. This is the 2nd driveshaft since kit was installed according to receipts that came with trike when I purchased it last Friday
I did my 08 with mountain driveshaft , It was a lot better than the rubber donut ? But the drive line still had a lot of play in it , the gear box had about a 1/4 turn of play in it , I bought the kit from CSC to replace the drive shaft & remove the gear box, I did it myself it was a lot of work you have to remove just about the complete kit , they give you all the instruction , its winter you need something to do ? I paid $ 500. for the kit, they said its about a 8 hour job if the factory does it ? You can go to the CSC & look up the instructions.

Replacing with upgraded kit is more than I want to tackle. (Done enough of them jobs past 30+ years) I'm 2 hrs from Neihaus in Lichfield. They quoted me $1400 for new upgraded kit. Driveshaft from Mountain Trikes is $520 shipped. Considering going with Neihaus if that price is installed.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/
Look here for cv axles and parts, if you know the part number they have GREAT prices

The cracked rubber was not the problem.
The splines on the DRIVE SHAFT would strip.
The front part was Honda and CSC made the rear half.

The splines on the two parts were different hardness.

Replacing with upgraded kit is more than I want to tackle. (Done enough of them jobs past 30+ years) I'm 2 hrs from Neihaus in Lichfield. They quoted me $1400 for new upgraded kit. Driveshaft from Mountain Trikes is $520 shipped. Considering going with Neihaus if that price is installed.

Replace the drive shaft & remove that stupid gear box . that gear box weighs 27 pounds with 20 pounds of rotating weight , when I changed mine it rolls better, shifts better & gets better gas mileage. That's my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

The rear wheel bearings are 95 cavalier non abs .

You mean CSC uses a gear box between the trans output and diff ?????

:xzqxz:

I looked using Google but must have used wrong terms.

The gear box is a 1 to 1 ratio.

The only purpose it served was to have less of an angle on the universal joints.

They did for a short time but eliminated it years ago. Not sure what years had it, maybe some one else knows.

I have a 06 CSC on my 03 Valkyrie.
I was not aware that there was a problem with CSC drive shafts.
What are some of the issues. :xzqxz:
Gideon 2 Front Side View.jpg

Should be the installed price, that's what I paid at Horizon trikes down in Arkansas last spring. Well worth the money in my opinion. The price from the factory was around 800.00 or so when I priced them, don't remember for sure. I thought about doing it myself, been wrenching for over 30 years and no doubt I could do it but I decided I really didn't have the time and wasn't really set up to do it. They started on it on Monday and I picked it up Tuesday around noon and I'm really impressed with the improvement. The factory guys also told me they have been installing them since 2012 I believe.

This replaced the transfer case rear end they started installing in 2006.

Since 2012 they said they have had 1 come back due to failure and it had a ton of miles on it. That was a salesman talking so take that for what it's worth but when I talked to Horizon they also confirmed it was a much better set up and I think they have installed a lot on new builds, not so many retro fits but didn't have any issues with mine.

I have a 06 CSC on my 03 Valkyrie.
I was not aware that there was a problem with CSC drive shafts.
What are some of the issues. :xzqxz:
View attachment 40927

Your kit is based on a GL1500.
The driveshaft problems were on the GL1800's.

- - - Updated - - -

They did for a short time but eliminated it years ago. Not sure what years had it, maybe some one else knows.

When mine was converted in July of 2007, CSC told me that I was getting
one of the new drive shafts with the Gearbox.

The drive shaft stripped about 2 1/2 years later.
The GEAR BOX self destructed at around 55,000 miles.

The latest version of the CSC driveshaft started in 2012. It is an automobile style driveshaft that is virtually bullet proof. The gear box and Honda driveshaft with rubber isolator was used from 2007 to 2011. The rubber coupler has carbon fiber belts that are encapsulated in it. The cracks that you see are very much normal. Only when the strands of fiber are showing do you need to replace it; which is rare.

CSC has had both customers and dealers replace them at their expense, which according to the manufacturer was not necessary.

As for the upgrade, it is well worth the investment indeed, and if you contact Dwight at CSC and mention this very post, he will get you a nice discount. :D

Your kit is based on a GL1500.
The driveshaft problems were on the GL1800's.

- - - Updated - - -

When mine was converted in July of 2007, CSC told me that I was getting
one of the new drive shafts with the Gearbox.

The drive shaft stripped about 2 1/2 years later.
The GEAR BOX self destructed at around 55,000 miles.

Thank you for your reply.
I am glad to hear the 1500 was OK. Sorry you and others are having a problem.
Gideon 2 Front Side View.jpg
God bless and Ride Safe.
Gideon

The latest version of the CSC driveshaft started in 2012. Itis an automobile style driveshaft that is virtually bullet proof. The gear boxand Honda driveshaft with rubber isolator was used from 2007 to 2011. Therubber coupler has carbon fiber belts that are encapsulated in it. The cracksthat you see are very much normal. Only when the strands of fiber are showingdo you need to replace it; which is rare. CSC has had both customers anddealers replace them at their expense, which according to the manufacturer wasnot necessary. <o:p></o
As for the upgrade, it is well worth the investment indeed,and if you contact Dwight at CSC and mention this very post, he will get you a nice discount. :D

Is that discount retroactive???

The latest version of the CSC driveshaft started in 2012. It is an automobile style driveshaft that is virtually bullet proof. The gear box and Honda driveshaft with rubber isolator was used from 2007 to 2011. The rubber coupler has carbon fiber belts that are encapsulated in it. The cracks that you see are very much normal. Only when the strands of fiber are showing do you need to replace it; which is rare. CSC has had both customers and dealers replace them at their expense, which according to the manufacturer was not necessary. <o:p></o

As for the upgrade, it is well worth the investment indeed, and if you contact Dwight at CSC and mention this very post, he will get you a nice discount. :D

KUDOS to Dwight at CSC! I have talked to Dwight on several occasions and he is a stand up guy.

He is a partner in CSC and has been with the company for a long time and knows the product.

He's very service oriented and values his customers and monitors this site. If you have any questions, shoot him a PM or call him.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png