Can HD tell if ecm has ever been altered?

azbob09

250+ Posts
Dec 1, 2009
Wickenburg, Az.
I have a Power vision2 tuner that I had on my 2014 & would like to get it re-licensed & re-programed for the 2017 TG that I have now.
I would save the original stock tune on the re-programed PV tuner & if a possible warranty issued developed I could set it back to the original stock tune.
Could the dealer or HD powers to be tell if the ecm had ever been altered?
I should probable talk with Jamie in the next couple of days?

From what I have been told by what I consider a reliable source, if you restore the original factory tune that you saved in the PV, it is not detectable. If you have made other mods that would require a tuning change, that would raise a red flag. As my dealer service manager put it "If you come in here with a high flow AC and slipons, and no tune has been applied, you are on your own."

YMMV

I have a Power vision2 tuner that I had on my 2014 & would like to get it re-licensed & re-programed for the 2017 TG that I have now.
I would save the original stock tune on the re-programed PV tuner & if a possible warranty issued developed I could set it back to the original stock tune.
Yes with the scanner Digit tech 2

Not sure why you're worried. Considering that many dealers will be more than happy to dyno tune the trike for you. If your servicing dealer is that anal, it is time to find a different dealer imho. Heck, even my servicing dealer will suggest going aftermarket vs the one from Harley.

Not sure why you're worried. Considering that many dealers will be more than happy to dyno tune the trike for you. If your servicing dealer is that anal, it is time to find a different dealer imho. Heck, even my servicing dealer will suggest going aftermarket vs the one from Harley.
You are correct cash is King, tho they do not like any product but their own plus you waiver your rights at least here in FLA

Just me' Mind you... But i never worried about what if i did this' Or did that'' Will it void the warranty?.. Cars' Trucks 'Bikes 'Trikes 'ATV/C's Snowmobiles or my Rhino... I did what i wanted to do on my stuff . That said i also made sure what i did wouldn't blow up the engine' Or burn A hole in the pistons'.Or rub it in the face of the dealer... ETC-ETC-. Doing it that way i never had a problem with any dealer' About warranty's..:Shrug:...
Use common sense and you'll be ok...ThumbUp

Understand what your saying,
However, the problem may not be with the dealer that does all this "work",
The problem may be when you are 1,000 miles from home and at an unknown dealer asking for warranty work on a bike that has non manufacturer approved mods done to it!
Have never understood the manufacturers allowing their dealers to sell/install non approved "parts" and then deny warranty claims because of these non approved parts or mods!!!!!!!!

Understand what your saying,
However, the problem may not be with the dealer that does all this "work",
The problem may be when you are 1,000 miles from home and at an unknown dealer asking for warranty work on a bike that has non manufacturer approved mods done to it!
Have never understood the manufacturers allowing their dealers to sell/install non approved "parts" and then deny warranty claims because of these non approved parts or mods!!!!!!!!
That's exactly what I'm concerned about. Every summer I do 2 or 3 cross country trips & have had a few warranty repairs done on the road. So I'm not always dealing with my local Harley servicing dealer

My '15 Triglide had an electrical breakdown last summer while I was in Sturgis. I have a Power Vision mounted on the handlebars, Vance Hines headers and slip-ons with a Screamin eagle intake. To top that off, I was pulling my trailer when I arrived. Black Hills did the warranty work and helped take the trailer off/on. No issues!

As long as you restore the original tune, the Digital Technician II cannot detect that you have done that...it will look like the original tune with no footprint that you had another tune in there.

That is not to say that HD Corporate could not use more sophisticated equipment than the dealer has to go in there and see some footprints. However, it is highly unlikely that any dealer would send an ECM "out" for any forensic testing.

Your concern of being on the road and getting warranty work is more than just a tuner probably.

On the road you never know what dealer will give what problems...but if the warranty work you need on the road is unrelated to any mods you have, I would not worry, because the warranty can only be denied if a mod is the cause of the problem.

For example, if you have a big power drawing, aftermarket stereo system and the stator goes out, then there is a likelihood the warranty work would rightly be denied.

But if you have a tuner and an aftermarket A/C and slip-ons and the GPS goes out...or the stator goes out, since the tuner, A/C and slip-ons are unrelated to the stator or GPS, there is no basis for the warranty work being denied.

Kevin

Considering that there are probably more Harley's out there with tunes than not, that is the least of ones worries.

:Agree: Years ago before i was into Harley's' I was looking to buy a used one as a second bike... But i didn't want one that was messed with.ie All kinds of do-dads that were added to them, What i found out was after looking high and low... A used stock Harley [Un-Molested] Did not exist... :Shrug:

As long as you restore the original tune, the Digital Technician II cannot detect that you have done that...it will look like the original tune with no footprint that you had another tune in there.

That is not to say that HD Corporate could not use more sophisticated equipment than the dealer has to go in there and see some footprints. However, it is highly unlikely that any dealer would send an ECM "out" for any forensic testing.

Your concern of being on the road and getting warranty work is more than just a tuner probably.

On the road you never know what dealer will give what problems...but if the warranty work you need on the road is unrelated to any mods you have, I would not worry, because the warranty can only be denied if a mod is the cause of the problem.

For example, if you have a big power drawing, aftermarket stereo system and the stator goes out, then there is a likelihood the warranty work would rightly be denied.

But if you have a tuner and an aftermarket A/C and slip-ons and the GPS goes out...or the stator goes out, since the tuner, A/C and slip-ons are unrelated to the stator or GPS, there is no basis for the warranty work being denied.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your thoughts on this along with the conversation we had back in MV last summer.
Could I send the Power Vision back to you for re licensing & can you reload the PV with a starting tune for my 2017 TG with just Rinehart slip on's w/ high flow baffles or should I go thru fuelmoto for this?

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your thoughts on this along with the conversation we had back in MV last summer.
Could I send the Power Vision back to you for re licensing & can you reload the PV with a starting tune for my 2017 TG with just Rinehart slip on's w/ high flow baffles or should I go thru fuelmoto for this?

You do not need to send it in...just contact the shop (by phone or email below) and they will show you how to get the additional license, and then can email you a new tune for your set-up.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png