High speed flutter

GoldWingrGreg

<b>JustWings.com</>
May 12, 2016
Zephyrhills, FL, USA
This owner complained about an unusual flutter (or chatter) while in 4th or 5th at 70 mph. When I test road it, I immediately noticed a vibration that got worst with speed. I could feel it in my feet and see it in both mirrors. At 70, a flutter could be heard, and when throttling off, it lessoned, and increased when throttled on. The owner described it as "play cards in spoked wheels." However, it was not nearly that loud.

To me it felt like a shaft not spinning true, and then spinning true. On this design, the shaft goes through the OEM swing arm. I wondered if the shaft was wallowing (no longer spinning centered causing a vibration) because of worn splines or a bad u-joint, and if so could the shaft be rubbing on the inside of the swing-arm tube (causing the flutter). After removing the shaft, a bad front u-joint was found and indeed there is evidence of the shaft rubbing inside the swing arm's tube.

IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG

Although things are serious they look like they were about to get real serious.
Is that yoke bent or did you open the joint area to make viewing the joint easier? A little hard to tell.

Either way it's time to put a new card in the spokes!

Good catch Greg!! I'd always heard the inline driveshaft configuration was a big selling point for that kit. Food for thought with other owners to keep in mind. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Rule of thumb ... never assume what comes "new" out of the box, fits, is correct, assembled correctly, and is good:( Basically, never assume anything about it !!! Prove it to yourself that it fits, appears to be good, and that it is correct.

Update ... getting ready to install new shaft assembly. But, when I checked for movement in the front u-joint, it has perceptible movement. I've contacted the trike manufacture and am now waiting for them to send a replacement shaft with good u-joints on both ends.

It appears this trike company starts with a complete, but used, GL1800 shaft assembly. Then they modify the OEM shaft by welding a rear yoke (or shaft assembly) to the rear of the OEM assembly. The rear part comes with a new joint. But the front joint is used ... which is fine, so long as they start with a good, modifiable, core.

Last edited:
I believe the owner bought it used in 2004 from a trike dealer who was triking it at the time. If I recall the story correctly, the trike dealer bought it as a REPO. The Wing is a 2004 with 56k on the ODM.

I believe the owner bought it used in 2004 from a trike dealer who was triking it at the time. If I recall the story correctly, the trike dealer bought it as a REPO. The Wing is a 2004 with 56k on the ODM.

Thanks Greg,

It's great to have you posting here again on Trike TalkThumbUp

Thanks Greg,

It's great to have you posting here again on Trike TalkThumbUp

Thanks Dave ... but you are probably referring to another forum that I used to post on ... I started posting here a short while ago. Fortunately for us all, it appears that the mods are very receptive to posters who post good information. If you know of other GL1800 owners who need assistance that I might be able help on, please direct them here. As always, I share my information/knowledge for free.

Last edited:
Thanks Gregg,
I'm also on that "other board" although under a different name!:mad:
I was always happy to see you post with true info...I just had my bike triked (although I have exactly one mile of experience under my belt with a trike- too cold/salty/icy/snowy) yea, yea i know being from Fla. you have no idea what I'm talking about..lol... BUT come this April i'll be out there hopefully riding again....
Again thank you for everything and good helpful info!!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Ronnie
Springfield, Massachusetts

Rule of thumb ... never assume what comes "new" out of the box, fits, is correct, assembled correctly, and is good:( Basically, never assume anything about it !!! Prove it to yourself that it fits, appears to be good, and that it is correct.

For me this also means to check Honda OEM parts right out of the box. If it appears correct, and it's an assembly, verify that the bolts are tight. Occasionally I find stuff that is not.

Thanks Dave ... but you are probably referring to another forum that I used to post on ... I started posting here a short while ago. Fortunately for us all, it appears that the mods are very receptive to posters who post good information. If you know of other GL1800 owners who need assistance that I might be able help on, please direct them here. As always, I share my information/knowledge for free.

Greg we miss you on Prowler RTE's. Be nice to see you again on one sometime.

Greg we miss you on Prowler RTE's. Be nice to see you again on one sometime.

Thanks ... Marie and I tried to make the "Welcome back snowbird" one, but once we got rolling, we knew we'd be late, and rode to 3 Banana's instead. We were camping that weekend in the Ocala NF. Possibly someday I'll show up at another one.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png