Regional sayings

Note: This is not from a Yankee. A Yankee is someone from the North. I am a DamnYankee - someone from the North that came down and stayed.

A comment on Y'all -

When I moved to the Northwest Arkansas area from Minnesota, I was introduced to "Y'all" in normal everyday speech. I have noticed while traveling around, and meeting folks from around South here for the Wallyworld headquarters, "Y'all" has slightly different meanings around the area.
In this area (NW Arkansas, SW Missouri) Y'all is always plural. If you say "Y'all come over." to a single person they will be slightly confused as to who you mean.
In some other places it seems that it is both singular and plural. In some other places it is plural, but if you are talking to a single person and say "Y'all come over." you have just invited that person and His wife, children, in-laws, cousins and a close friend or two.
And there are places that are too far north to be the South, but too far south to be the North that "Y'all" becomes "You'uns"

Mosey
As in, one will walk along at a leisurely pace.
...I'm going to mosey over to this other store.

Good deal!
...in agreement.

Minnesota:

Dinner = Lunch

I grew up in PA. Lived in TX and NM for many years prior to moving to MN in 1996. I learned right away that there are many different words in MN for things that the rest of the country calls something else. Carbonated soft drinks are Pop. Casseroles are Hot dish. Camper shell for your pickup is a topper. You bet and you betcha mean sure or yes. I now find myself using most of these terms. I still call lunch lunch.

There seems to be some misunderstanding as to the definition of gravel roads. In the Dakotas roads are a spectrum.

Prairie Road = a cow path, anywhere where someone has driven before but primarily within the past six months.

Dirt Road = a section line path without gravel that is bladed at least once a year just before the pheasant hunters arrive.

Gravel Road = a dirt road where some trucker mistakenly dumped a load of gravel back in the 1960s.

Improved Road = He also painted the bridge. The politicians are still charging an annual tax levy on that one.

My grandfather would always say:Sometimes life is like licking honey off a thorn .At least that's what I thought he said..I could never understand what he meant by that when I asked him. What with his damage tongue?

New Jersey.... The Jug Handle....And i can't Splane it to anyone, Its a Jersey thing.:gah:
But i'll try, To make a left turn at Some intersection's, Right turn' Right turn..
If you want to make a ''U'' Turn ;Right turn' Right turn' Left turn.....Clear as mud....:confused:

When I was in college in the 70's there was a guy that lived on floor below us in the dorm. He only stayed a semester and I didn't know him very well, but he was from out east somewhere. He sounded a bit like he was from New Jersey, but not quite compared the the 2 others I knew from there. More than his accent, it was the way he put his sentences together was interesting. The one I remember most was. "I went to the closet, and there they were. My boots. Both of them. Gone!"
I've always wondered where he was from that folks spoke like that.

When I was in college in the 70's there was a guy that lived on floor below us in the dorm. He only stayed a semester and I didn't know him very well, but he was from out east somewhere. He sounded a bit like he was from New Jersey, but not quite compared the the 2 others I knew from there. More than his accent, it was the way he put his sentences together was interesting. The one I remember most was. "I went to the closet, and there they were. My boots. Both of them. Gone!"
I've always wondered where he was from that folks spoke like that.

Sounds like he was from Jersey... :D
But sometimes its not what you hear, But its what you think you heard ' That you didn't hear' That you thought you heard....:xzqxz:

This is another one of those North Dakota things verses out East or California:

Stock market: out East or California the Dow Jones or New York Stock Exchange, North Dakota it's the cattle and hog prices.

When I moved from Chicago to N. Central Arkansas, (Yes, I'm a Damn Yankee too.) I was confused by "don't care to". Here it means "I don't mind helping" as in I don't care to pick you up from work.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png