Maggie Valley 2017?

Folks the season is getting close.If anybody has some thoughts or suggestions join the planning group and sound off.Talk has slowed down but let's fire this thread up.

Folks the season is getting close.If anybody has some thoughts or suggestions join the planning group and sound off.Talk has slowed down but let's fire this thread up.

Great idea Marc.ThumbUp

Are the dates September 4 through September 8 the final dates?:Shrug:

I have joined the group and would be willing to help with the BBQ if you have it again this year. I would lead rides but I do not know the area. Would be happy as a Tail Gunner and keep Big Mike on the up and up.

Last year I rode behind Mike as he led the group and I was able to call out road hazards such as loose gravel, turkeys, potholes and oncoming traffic over the CB. Folks in the group who could receive that info were happy to be informed before reaching the hazard.

So looking forward to MV. After last year, that is on my list to do annually. The dates last year worked out perfect and traffic wasn't bad at all for the Labor Day weekend. (I traveled Fri/Sat from New Hampshire). So for me those dates are fine for me.. Also, when we took a group to the Dragon, traffic was very light. I personally was disappointed in that ride....the Dragon was overrated in my opinion.

Didn't stay at Best Western last year, but plan to this year where everything is going on. Good to fix a date so booking can begin. Hey Zook, you are going this year, right?

Great idea Marc.ThumbUp

To the best of my knowledge nothing is set in stone yet.My idea in making the post was to try to kinda jump start discussion back to life and maybe get things planned out so booking can begin.

Dennis I agree on the dragon but living about an hour from there I guess its not as special to me as others.I did map out a route taking in the dragon and Cherohala with Bald river falls thrown in.I didn't go on that ride last year so I don't know the exact route that was took but I posted a link to my version in the planning forum if you want to check it out.I could make changes but the time involved makes for a long day to start with.

Previously I said I don't know the area well enough to lead rides. That's still true but; I'm willing to give it a try if I can get some coaching to do pre-ride GPS planning.

Previously I said I don't know the area well enough to lead rides. That's still true but; I'm willing to give it a try if I can get some coaching to do pre-ride GPS planning.

Ed I used google maps for the route I posted but I already had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do.America Rides Maps is based out of Waynesville and has maps of the area with some rides already marked that are inexpensive and with the written directions could probably be transferred to the gps.I'm far from experienced in this.Hope this helps.

Dennis I agree on the dragon but living about an hour from there I guess its not as special to me as others.I did map out a route taking in the dragon and Cherohala with Bald river falls thrown in.I didn't go on that ride last year so I don't know the exact route that was took but I posted a link to my version in the planning forum if you want to check it out.I could make changes but the time involved makes for a long day to start with.

Several of us did the Dragon and Cherohala ride last year. Yes it was a long day but I really enjoyed it. I've been looking at some of the other rides in that areas such as Devil's Triangle, Moonshiners28, Diamondback etc. For one thing, there is no shortage of great riding in that area.

Maggie Valley 2017

At this time, my wife Wendy and I are planning on making the trip to Maggie Valley.

Have been on the Blue Parkway a couple of times but not familiar with the immediate area around Maggie Valley.

Larry

Ed I used google maps for the route I posted but I already had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do.America Rides Maps is based out of Waynesville and has maps of the area with some rides already marked that are inexpensive and with the written directions could probably be transferred to the gps.I'm far from experienced in this.Hope this helps.

Marc, I am not an expert by any means but I am reasonably adept at using the Garmin HomeBase mapping software. The wrinkle is the new GPS unit and the unknown fashion it will react to a route plotted on the software and then imported. I should have that ironed out by the time I get there. What I need is the local knowledge of where the photo op and food stops are so we can avoid "fly-bys" and turn arounds.

I looked for your Google Map link but didn't find it. Please repost.

I already have America Rides Maps on my acquisition list for this season. :)

I have joined the group and would be willing to help with the BBQ if you have it again this year. I would lead rides but I do not know the area. Would be happy as a Tail Gunner and keep Big Mike on the up and up.

It's about time you woke up from your winter nap and got aboard! :D

Great idea Marc.ThumbUp

:Shrug: As Dave asked, is Sept 4th through the 8th the final set in stone dates? Need to be able to plan time off for both my wife and myself. We missed last year after planning to come down due to work and health issues. We would really like to make it this year. We have been to Maggie Valley on our own a few years back. Nice country to spend time in and the Wheels Through Time Museum is a favorite place to get lost in...

Marc, I am not an expert by any means but I am reasonably adept at using the Garmin HomeBase mapping software. The wrinkle is the new GPS unit and the unknown fashion it will react to a route plotted on the software and then imported. I should have that ironed out by the time I get there. What I need is the local knowledge of where the photo op and food stops are so we can avoid "fly-bys" and turn arounds.

Try this. https://goo.gl/maps/YZdDEYVw1BT2 I did not go on that ride last year so this may be close to what was done but from what I remember hearing there are some differences.

Several of us did the Dragon and Cherohala ride last year. Yes it was a long day but I really enjoyed it. I've been looking at some of the other rides in that areas such as Devil's Triangle, Moonshiners28, Diamondback etc. For one thing, there is no shortage of great riding in that area.

Those are all good rides from what I hear.I like the Devil's Triangle but it would almost be a day ride by itself from Maggie Valley.There are many good roads in the area for sure that would make goods rides just a little planning required.

Ed I spent enough time talking to you that i'm confident that you would do just fine.

I have made the last two I WILL NOT miss this one. There is to much fun at this gathering.

Jerry I did not make last year but it took 2 wrecks to stop us from getting there. this year I am sure our luck will be better. will make our reservation as soon as we get the info.

PS no I am not going to buy you all the beer you can drink ( may be a few )

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png