Who Commutes with their Tri-glide? Thinking doing this want the pros vs cons.

Reaction score
Who Commutes with their Tri-glide? Thinking doing this want the pros vs cons.

Group,

Haven't been here in awhile. Happy New Year, etc..

I've got a question. How many of you commute everyday with your trike? I'm looking at another job up north from where I live, where I would be able to ride my trike on the HOT lanes. I think it would be great, just worried about the beat down it would take from flying debrie, etc... It would be about 44 miles one way.

I was thinking of getting a Suzuki 650 to use for travel, if the Trike would not be a good choice. But, I figured there has to be a few of you that use your Trike for commuting.

All advice is welcome.

Take care,

Don

I don't like congestion much

Safety my only concern cars! in a hurry going to work already late or trying to get home for hockey game etc. be careful! fearless
Group,

Haven't been here in awhile. Happy New Year, etc..

I've got a question. How many of you commute everyday with your trike? I'm looking at another job up north from where I live, where I would be able to ride my trike on the HOT lanes. I think it would be great, just worried about the beat down it would take from flying debrie, etc... It would be about 44 miles one way.

I was thinking of getting a Suzuki 650 to use for travel, if the Trike would not be a good choice. But, I figured there has to be a few of you that use your Trike for commuting.

All advice is welcome.

Take care,

Don

Safety my only concern cars! in a hurry going to work already late or trying to get home for hockey game etc. be careful! fearless
Fearless,

I agree. I would rather ride my Trike, more comfortable, etc... But don't want to beat the tar out of it. So to speak. But, I figure I can put all types of "trike bra's" on it. To keep the paint fresh .

If you are worried about paint chips ETC, Don't commute with it, It will get sand blasted real fast..And also you'll be mixing it up with car drivers that are in a hurry to get to work, And consider a bike in commuting traffic a nuisance...And can be dangerous...:Shrug:

Just to add in my younger days i would take my bike to work one day a week just to break up the boredom of driving my car in every day.. 120 Miles round trip...

When I'm in the office, my main mode of transport is my trike. 28 miles 1-way. If the trikes in the shop, then using backup 2-wheeler. If really severe weather and only 2-wheeler available, then truck. Trike used in most weather.
Since I travel for a living, I go for nice multi-hundred mile rides. All paid.
Remember, a wet day on the road beats a dry day in the office.

I ride mine to work a few days a week now (40 mile round trip),and since I live in FL, it is something that really makes the trip more fun. I used to ride every day on my '14, but with ride to work miles added to touring miles, I ended up putting 52K on the clock in a little over two years. Fortunately, I was able to get a good trade-in price on it when I bought my '17... 50K seems to be the magic break point where the price drops off quickly. Also, it would be a good idea to look into a day cover to keep the dirt and UV from beating it up while it is parked outside.

Guess it depends on your intent; are you going to keep it forever (like I originally thought) or look to trade it in on newer model? Either way, it is a great way to get to work!

I ride mine to work 18 miles one way every day, weather permitting and once the days get longer. My aged eyes do not handle the pre dawn light as good as they used to in the late fall and winter.

Hi Don, nice to see you back.
I get up to your neck of the woods on the trike about once a year, and that is enough! I'd be more worried about the sports cars with the bumble bee mufflers slipping in and out of traffic and the texters and makeup appliers than I would be about road gunk. I don't feel a bit comfortable in your heavy traffic. Just my :twocents:.

Being a mgr, I was issued a co. car. My last year of employment, all co. cars were taken away, anto use personal cars and be on the mileage system. So I used the FLH. When confronted, just told them I don't have a spare car to use , nore am I purchasing one.

All the gofer bs stoped, and all the job check ups got passed on to others :clapping: Made out good on that program @ 40mpg.

Who Commutes with their Tri-glide?

I rode mine 50 miles one way, the last year that I worked. Some days it was below freezing and other days over 100°. I worked in my office and had access to one of our company vehicles if needed. When I started riding my Tri-Glide to work I took back roads with very little traffic, it was 10 miles longer but worth it except when it was below freezing.
Retired and not missing the work part.
Ride Safe

WANTED to ride to/fro work but there was too much involved, being female.

Would have had to wear riding suit/boots over office clothes to keep from getting splashed...or...pack office clothes on bike then change in the restroom real fast prior to entering office...or...keep office clothes at the office and change when I got there...only to reverse the process to go home.
Then there was the helmet hair to hassle with. :gah:

I know, you GUYS would not have had all those hassles.
Carla

Being a mgr, I was issued a co. car. My last year of employment, all co. cars were taken away, anto use personal cars and be on the mileage system. So I used the FLH. When confronted, just told them I don't have a spare car to use , nore am I purchasing one.

All the gofer bs stoped, and all the job check ups got passed on to others :clapping: Made out good on that program @ 40mpg.
Bunch of cheap bastids it sounds like to me.

Retire and then you will not have to worry about this. Dang when I was working, it was a lot of coat and tie stuff. It would of been a blast if I could of pulled it off. Jim

I ride mine to work a few days a week now (40 mile round trip),and since I live in FL, it is something that really makes the trip more fun. I used to ride every day on my '14, but with ride to work miles added to touring miles, I ended up putting 52K on the clock in a little over two years. Fortunately, I was able to get a good trade-in price on it when I bought my '17... 50K seems to be the magic break point where the price drops off quickly. Also, it would be a good idea to look into a day cover to keep the dirt and UV from beating it up while it is parked outside.

Guess it depends on your intent; are you going to keep it forever (like I originally thought) or look to trade it in on newer model? Either way, it is a great way to get to work!

Thanks I appreciate it. I have a 15 only 5, 000 miles. Love my Trike. But, as you said before you know the miles will come up. That's why I was thinking of going with another bike that could handle the load on miles, and ride the Trike a few days aweek for a change up. Round trip would be about 90 miles on most days.

Hi Don, nice to see you back.
I get up to your neck of the woods on the trike about once a year, and that is enough! I'd be more worried about the sports cars with the bumble bee mufflers slipping in and out of traffic and the texters and makeup appliers than I would be about road gunk. I don't feel a bit comfortable in your heavy traffic. Just my :twocents:.

I hear you. To be honest I would only ride it on the HOV or route 1. But even that can get bad. I'm still debating. But its all if I get a job up north. Better money, but I would rather commute on a Bike where at least I can enjoy the ride. :cool:

I commute to work every chance I get. 3 miles country roads to our Golf course. I work maint. dept, The Mexicans that work the Sod Farm next to it call my bike the "Black Horse". ok-:D:D
Awesome. Mine is "Vador" on my plates. :cool:

I rode mine 50 miles one way, the last year that I worked. Some days it was below freezing and other days over 100°. I worked in my office and had access to one of our company vehicles if needed. When I started riding my Tri-Glide to work I took back roads with very little traffic, it was 10 miles longer but worth it except when it was below freezing.
Retired and not missing the work part.
Ride Safe
That's how I feel I have no problem adding a few miles on back roads just to feel the breeze and enjoy the bike. I am like you I don't mind the weather. Just got some great TourMaster riding gear for legs, and will by the better jacket next year at the motorcycle convention or on sale via online. So I'm set just need the job change. :cool:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png