Tire size question

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
Reaction score
My front tire is the stocker. It is marked 140/80 (17 inch) Some of the rear tires to replace it with aren't the exact size. They are marked 140/70, 150/70, 130/80 etc..... I'm on a stock Honda rim.......

Not being a tire guru, I don't know which (if either) of these numbers can be fudged a little, and what the reaction may be (better/worse handling, harder/softer ride, etc.....) any nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

Also, is the "Michelin Pilot Activ" the tire that most trikers seem to rave about?

I can only find one guy in town that is willing to put a rear on the front, and he doesn't have the brands I want. But at least he'll mount and balance it for me if I buy on the 'net.

Does anyone know if bike insurance companies have a problem with rears on front, and/or reverse rotation?

that 130 X80 X will work as long as the rim size is ok I would not gotto a smaller 70 series tire on the ront It will cause the front to dive down lower . I never told my insurance Company . and yes the Pilot Activ is the 1# choice .. I have seen Avon Venom and Dunlop Battle axe used . One guy even used a Shinshion (SP) ( Chinese tire ) with good results

Thanks John. The reason I was having a problem finding the exact size I needed in the MPA was because it was sold out everywhere except Dennis Kirk. I bought it at DK. It's on it's way.

Funny, Kirk said they had 1 left. I bought it, and looked again at the tire listing and there were 2 left. Oh well, it was a good price so I'm not mad about being hustled a little.

You can always go to Parts-Unlimited.com...check the pages for Metzler and there's a Page for One up and Two up Tires....you should always be able to fond a Tire Size Match there. Also....look into Dealers using DynaBeads, a Product introduces to the Market about 3 years ago....they're a Silicone Bead that's used to Balance your Tires w/o any Wheel Weights....used them on my Kawasaki 1500 Classic and got 16,500 Miles out of my Front tire and it still had some left, just wasn't in the Testing Mood with a Front Tire.

Ed

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png