• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Park brake adjustment

Reaction score
For those of you with a service manual, I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 2013 TriGlide. I need to know the proper method for adjusting the park brake arms on the calipers. In one spot with the arms fully released (against the stops) there seems to be quite a bit of drag on the rotors and when applied is stopped very solid. One notch looser and there doesn't have much drag on the rotors while released and no holding power when applied. I haven't messed with the adjustment on the handle to see if I can get more holding power when engaged. Thanks in advance.

Lose it!

For those of you with a service manual, I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 2013 TriGlide. I need to know the proper method for adjusting the park brake arms on the calipers. In one spot with the arms fully released (against the stops) there seems to be quite a bit of drag on the rotors and when applied is stopped very solid. One notch looser and there doesn't have much drag on the rotors while released and no holding power when applied. I haven't messed with the adjustment on the handle to see if I can get more holding power when engaged. Thanks in advance.

My (former) dealer could never get the adjustment right on my '13, then resorted to using just the knob on the handle to make it "work'.

At 7K, I had to replace pads and rotors thanks to the shoddy workmanship. The OEM parking brake is now hanging on the wall in my garage, and my new parking brake is kept in the right windshield pouch; a 1.5" by 15" piece of velcro to wrap around the front brake lever if, and when, I need it.

My solution: lose it! Remove it and hang it on the wall before it costs you big bucks to replace pads and rotors.

Just changed pads. Probably 30-40% left. Rotors looked OK. This is why I am looking for the park brake adjustment.

With my 11 Tri, If i want to adjust the park brake i just do it with the knob in the handle... Loosen the small Allen set screw and turn the knob, To where it ''JUST'' holds the trike from rolling, Too tight and it will ware the brake pads quick, Too loose and it won't hold ..Its a balancing act, And needs to be readjusted often, That said i never use my park brake.. I park in first gear...ThumbUp

Addendum to Post #2 (above)

After having the rotors and pads replaced at 7K with MoCo parts, the parking brake assembly was retired to the garage wall. At 30K, the MoCo rotors were still in great shape and a set of EBC pads were installed front and rear. My Velcro parking brake has been used maybe half a dozen times.

I'll check the EBC's regularly, but expect to get quite a lot more miles out of them than MoCo pads. They are also stopping my '13 TG quicker than ever before.

You don't need the parking brake so, lose it altogether (eliminates the HD mechanic from screwing with it) or, just don't use it. Like Rhino says, first gear works well, too.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png