Tour Pak on Free

Nov 4, 2015
palm bay
I saw a tour pak on a Freewheeler. The guy had a mounting plate that bolted to the trunk lid using the luggage rack holes then provided correct mount holes for tour pak - sort of an adapter if you will. Anybody know who makes them?

tour pak

I saw a tour pak on a Freewheeler. The guy had a mounting plate that bolted to the trunk lid using the luggage rack holes then provided correct mount holes for tour pak - sort of an adapter if you will. Anybody know who makes them?

I tried that on my freewheeler. I made the bracket out of aluminum. In less than 1000 kms the trunk hinge was so loose I was afraid of it breaking off

I actually have a HD tour pack from my old 1979 FLH in my garage. I thought about painting it to match and putting it on my Freewheeler. After thinking about it I think it would be too much weight for the hinge and gasket. Also, if you have the tour pack full and need to open the trunk that would be a lot of weight on the hinge and the trunk lid retainer strap would not be able to hold the weight. I think it would be a bad idea.

Sunman

IF you look at the directions for the 'luggage rack' it says you only have a 25# capacity, you will be using 1/2 of that for the tour pack, The 'Freewheeler' is the sports car model, kind of like a Dyna to an Ultra. If storage capacity was your goal, should have taken a second look at a Tri-Glide. Trying to convert your 'Free' to a 'Tri' will cost you a bunch of money and screw up the Freewheeler.

BUT, it is your bike and money, so have fun

IF you look at the directions for the 'luggage rack' it says you only have a 25# capacity, you will be using 1/2 of that for the tour pack, The 'Freewheeler' is the sports car model, kind of like a Dyna to an Ultra. If storage capacity was your goal, should have taken a second look at a Tri-Glide. Trying to convert your 'Free' to a 'Tri' will cost you a bunch of money and screw up the Freewheeler.

BUT, it is your bike and money, so have fun

What you say is true. I traded a full-boat tri-glide for my free for that reason. However I have health problems that require more luggage capacity. I live on 'formula' that isn't readily available so I must carry enough for any trip I'd like to make and I need an Oxygen concentrator. I currently have a H-D 'suitcase' on the luggage rack for the Oxygen but a 6 day supply of grub takes up half the trunk. A bit more capacity that could be removed for local rides would be handy.

tour pack

What you say is true. I traded a full-boat tri-glide for my free for that reason. However I have health problems that require more luggage capacity. I live on 'formula' that isn't readily available so I must carry enough for any trip I'd like to make and I need an Oxygen concentrator. I currently have a H-D 'suitcase' on the luggage rack for the Oxygen but a 6 day supply of grub takes up half the trunk. A bit more capacity that could be removed for local rides would be handy.
With a little ingenuity I don't think it would be hard to make a rack like you see on some car trailer hitches to carry stuff It would be easy to make your own bumper and have the rack as a easy on and off then your warranty would not be affected because it would not be a trailer hitch I see mystery design trikes have such a rack in their accessory page

With a little ingenuity I don't think it would be hard to make a rack like you see on some car trailer hitches to carry stuff It would be easy to make your own bumper and have the rack as a easy on and off then your warranty would not be affected because it would not be a trailer hitch I see mystery design trikes have such a rack in their accessory page

Looks like that's the best alternative since a tour pak damages the trunk lid hinge. I'm thinking a stock 'Trunk Protector' (bumper) with a rack tied on with good quality hose clamps.

When I bought my Free I looked at the idea of adding more storage. Didn't want to add to the trunk lid, but thought about going over the top of it. Put a hinge on the right side of the trunk, a latch on the left, and the tour pak could swing up to the right and the FW lid would be clear to swing to the left. Penciled in a basic sketch, then decided I didn't need the extra space that bad. Here's the drawing if someone's feeling adventurous...
bb04.jpg

Rack is approx 48 x 20. YES Common sense prevails as to not loading a lot of heavy stuff on the rack. He travels with the trike trailered behind a RV. The rack is used to go shopping with the trike when the RV is parked.

tour pac

I wonder what Harley would say about a rack like that. Do you think they would void the warranty because of there being a trailer hitch on the bike or if you had pictures of the rack would they be ok with it. in my mind they should be ok but who knows. A rack like that would be very helpful for carrying camping gear. I myself would make it a little smaller but that's just me.

You might look into something like this. But you'd need to install a trailer hitch. I found an Aluma MCT locally on CL for a decent price and will tow that when I need more space.

http://www.tagalongtrailers.info/

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png