Optimum RPM at 70 mph?

dmillsr3

Jun 10, 2016
Double Oak, TX, USA
1987 Electra Glide
Trike conversion
Stock front pulley (34T I think) and stock rear pulley (70T confirmed)
Rear tires diameter 25.5. The stock rear tire should be about 25.7 in diameter.

My rpm at 70mph is 3500. I am thinking it should be about 3000 or a little less.

I think the best way to adjust would be a smaller rear pulley. I can find a 65 T pulley. But I don't know how to calculate the result. I can find plenty of rpm/mph/gear ratio calculators but I have NOT found one to take pulley size into consideration.

I could go to a taller tire but at more expense than a rear pulley.

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

Last edited:
1987 Electra Glide
Trike conversion
Stock front pulley (34T I think) and stock rear pulley (70T confirmed)
Rear tires diameter 25.5. The stock rear tire should be about 25.7 in diameter.

My rpm at 70mph is 3500. I am thinking it should be about 3000 or a little less.

I think the best way to adjust would be a smaller rear pulley. I can find a 65 T pulley. But I don't know how to calculate the result. I can find plenty of rpm/mph/gear ratio calculators but I have NOT found one to take pulley size into consideration.

I could go to a taller tire but at more expense than a rear pulley.

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

Here is a online calculator from Baker Transmissions >>> https://bakerdrivetrain.com/pages/calculate-gear-ratios-on-your-motorcycle-rpm-vs-speed

Don,
Optimum gearing can mean different things. With a trike and a stock evo engine you will need rpm's to do anything above 60 mph. If you change gear ratio to reduce cruising engine rpm you will lose any punch at 60 mph and hurt performance off the line. You can do engine mods that will improve performance such as cam and compression but you need rpm's regardless. 3000 rpm's at 70 mph will feel like you are pulling a log trailer.

Another option is a 6 speed transmission. You can gear your drivetrain down to give you off line performance and still have usable rpm's at highway speeds.

EXAMPLE: 2007 & 2008 FLH changed their gearing from a 70 tooth rear sprocket to a 66 tooth. They are real pigs (sorry to anyone owning a stocker) taking off after trike conversions. Changing the primary chain and gear really improved all around performance making it easier to take off and you can actually utilize 6th gear for pulling rather then to just save engine rpm's.

Different ways to skin the cat.

3000 rpm

Don,
Optimum gearing can mean different things. With a trike and a stock evo engine you will need rpm's to do anything above 60 mph. If you change gear ratio to reduce cruising engine rpm you will lose any punch at 60 mph and hurt performance off the line. You can do engine mods that will improve performance such as cam and compression but you need rpm's regardless. 3000 rpm's at 70 mph will feel like you are pulling a log trailer.

Another option is a 6 speed transmission. You can gear your drivetrain down to give you off line performance and still have usable rpm's at highway speeds.

EXAMPLE: 2007 & 2008 FLH changed their gearing from a 70 tooth rear sprocket to a 66 tooth. They are real pigs (sorry to anyone owning a stocker) taking off after trike conversions. Changing the primary chain and gear really improved all around performance making it easier to take off and you can actually utilize 6th gear for pulling rather then to just save engine rpm's.

THANKS JIM
I was really thinking of building a trike with either a softail evo or a evo sportster. Your remarks on the RPMs and the speed made me think KEEP THE FREEWHEELER its all I need
Thanks
I really get a lot of great info from this forum

Don,
Thanks once more for your advice. I plan to address engine mods or six speed transmission later this year. Trike is pulling strong up to 75 (haven't gone above that). Overall pleased with performance, but my MPG is kinda low--about 20 mpg. Thought mpg would be higher and thought getting the rpms down might help that, but I don't want to sacrifice that much performance.

Thanks once more for your advice. I plan to address engine mods or six speed transmission later this year. Trike is pulling strong up to 75 (haven't gone above that). Overall pleased with performance, but my MPG is kinda low--about 20 mpg. Thought mpg would be higher and thought getting the rpms down might help that, but I don't want to sacrifice that much performance.

The 6 speed trans, In my opinion will take care of most if not all of your problems...

At 80 I am pulling 3300 rpm's with a Crane Fireball 300 cam and ported heads. So it can be done gearing is stock. MPG is between 30 and 35 depending how I ride that's with an S&S carb. Evo's are good strong easy to work on motors.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png