Rear tire coming apart mounted in front. (Read 1st post)

Ever hear actual account of rear tire mounted in front/forward rotation coming apart?

• Yes, I have first hand knowledge.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Yes, I heard it second hand.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • yes, I heard it third hand.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 239 95.2%

• Total voters
I had a Bridgestone Batleax 45 put on the front of my trike. I only have about 3K on it. I don't ride in the rain a lot, here in Az, but when I have there has never been a problem. The shop that put it on said it should be reversed and they do it all the time, so that's the way I went. :)

That's exactly my question. I have a respect for hydroplaning since totaling a Toyota Tundra pickup due to that. I also question since a rear tire is designed for acceleration, isn't it capable of braking? After all, rear tires also brake. I'm getting ready for a front tire replacement on my trike and am trying to make a choice. I've gotten 28,000 on front tires when my Goldwing was 2 wheels using Metzler. During the past several years I've seen several Metzlers lose chunks of rubber and won't use them again.

The primary function of the rear tire is acceleration and the front tire braking. The rear tire has a limited braking function. If you look at a bike with directional tires, the treads run in opposite directions. Reversing a rear tire mounted on the front just puts the treads in the correct direction, plus lessens the stress on the tire's overlapping belts while braking. Attaching pictures of directional Avon Venom rear tire I just had mounted in reverse direction on our trike.

Attachments

• Avon1.jpg
    Avon1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Avon2.jpg
    Avon2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 117
Keep us posted on how it preformed...:wave4::wave4::

Will do.... It will get a workout next month when we go to Key West... The nice weather we have been having is making me itchy to go.

Why would you use a rear tire in front? I cannot come up with a reason to do that on my ride.

Your bike still leans, so you wouldn't want to use a rear tire in front as you need the shape and structure of the usual front bike tire. With a traditional trike and the fact that it corners more like a car wheel does, the rear tire (same size as the usual front one) works very well and gives extra rubber on the ground for a much longer life. Those who have moved to that option swear by the handling and longevity.

I would love to see the math that shows that a front tire on trike with a rake kit is the same as my Tacoma's front tires! Two things make tires come apart; a defect in the tire, or using a tire contrary to its design.

I would love to see the math that shows that a front tire on trike with a rake kit is the same as my Tacoma's front tires! Two things make tires come apart; a defect in the tire, or using a tire contrary to its design.

Immediately upon Triking a 2-Wheel Motorcycle, You are forcing the 2-Wheel Motorcycle Tire to perform tasks it wasn't "exactly" designed to do. The Tire now has to perform the task of "Totally Steering" the Trike. "Lean" will no longer be used as the main and helping factor. Front Motorcycle Tires tend to have smaller radiused treads, and more flexible sidewalls than their Rear counterparts. Triking a 2-Wheel Motorcycle also puts more load carrying responsibility on the Front Tire (I've checked this using Race Car Wheel Scales using my Trike and a stock 2-Wheel Gold Wing). A stock front tire is up to the task, as far as safety, but a Rear Motorcycle tire with it's extra Tread Rubber, Stiffer Carcass, and Wider Tread Radius will give You More Mileage, Quicker Corner Turn-in, and a Slightly Wider Contact Patch.....ThumbUp

Skuuter,
Very nice answer.Be interesting to know the numbers and also the difference between a trike that is raked vs,
. a non raked model.
Thanks for the info,
Tip

Skuuter,
Very nice answer.Be interesting to know the numbers and also the difference between a trike that is raked vs,
. a non raked model.
Thanks for the info,
Tip

Thanks...ThumbUp....I'm at work and don't have the exact "total" weight numbers with me, but I do carry the difference around in my brain of raked and non-raked...;)....My Trike: 2010 Gold Wing 1800 with a Motor Trike IRS Kit on it with a 4.5 Degree Rake Kit. It had stock rake and trees on it when I first purchased it. Later I added the Raked Trees after riding 3 different ones belonging to Friends that had Raked Trees on em'...Raked Trees on a Trike, in my opinion: MANDATORY...!!! The Trike, full of fuel weighs 1,264 lbs. I scaled it on the Race Car Scales while stock, then later, raked. The Frontend scaled 173 lbs lighter on the frontwheel with the Raked Trees....pretty substantial percentage.

Now, for the "odd" thing I inherited after raking...before, there was only about 6 lbs difference between the Rear Wheels (right side heavy) now the left rear shows 21 lbs heavier than the right. This has absolutely no effect on anything, but it's there....and no, nothing is out of plumb, etc. From Racing Cars for years, this is not an uncommon occurance on the scales though.....ThumbUp :Trike1:

New rear tire up front at 40 psi is super...... Front end is responsive, high speed cornering is no issue, and no longer shift body weight in fear of high speed flips. ThumbUp

I have the MPA rear tire mounted reversed.
The first one I had 28,000 miles on it and I now have my second one on with only 3,000 miles on it.
Never heard of MPA's coming apart.

I'm thinking the run em in reverse info is seriously flawed info. Sure you can do it but the info I've read about it sounds screwy at best. I'm running my BT45 as any normal tire would be and don't expect to have any problems.

Some run them in reverse some run them normal,so far from what I have seen it doen't seem to matter.I have run them both ways with no dicernal difference.I am running an MPA now on a 1500 GL and it is really nice.Have about 3000 miles on it so far.

Got about 8K on my BT45. No wear at all so far.

I do have a friend with a 2 wheel Gold Wing. Talked to him today. He now has 36K on his BT45. I guess that might be one reason to use a rear tire on the front by itself.:)

I talked to my machanic and he told me he had called Mitchelin in Greeneville S.C. and the tech. told him that the MAP should be reversed when put on the front because of the tread pattern.If put on forward the treads would be backward and not shed water properly. The front tire does not pull like the back wheel does so the tread design is important I am on my second MAP after getting 15,000 on my first one, have 13,000 on this one and it looks as if it could go another 3,000. I am not the authority on this, just repeating what I was told and my experiance.

My original frt tire is in need of replacing.I was wanting to put the rear size dunlop e-3 on it.I called dunlop & they advised me against it,so i'm going with frt.e-3 instead.I talked to a gentleman named Rob,his phone# is 800-845-8378,This conversation took place on7-16-12

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png