Rear tire coming apart mounted in front. (Read 1st post)

Ever hear actual account of rear tire mounted in front/forward rotation coming apart?

• Yes, I have first hand knowledge.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Yes, I heard it second hand.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • yes, I heard it third hand.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 239 95.2%

• Total voters
All I can tell you is this . Don't ask a tire salesman they don't know about trikes . I have a Macadam 50 you can't even buy them any more . It is a rear tire configuration . I have had it on the frt of the trike 5 years & for 24,000 trouble free miles, I have it at 40 # . I have driven it hard through twisty turns . I have held sustained speed of 80 miles an hour, I have driven 100 miles in the pouring rain ( cars were pulling off the road ) so what are you trying to get out of your front tire my doubting Thomas friend. VERY Dangerous to run a radial tire on the front of a trike . also I don't like paying my tire salesman $150.00 ever 7,000 miles. I don't like the hopping feeling in turns.

Last summer when I traded trikes my trade in had almost new Michelin pilot rear tire mounted backwards on the front. He made the comment that he would have to replace the front tire. I ask him why and he told me that the Michelin rep told him that when their tire is mounted reversed like that there is no longer any warranty on the tire and they are not responsible for any thing when it blows. :Shrug:

Well guys you have me confused , I have Bridgestone radials on my Victory cross country and going to trike it with CSC Ventura, someone said a radial tire on the front is dangerous on a trike?
Are you saying. Ave to find a bias ply rear tire in the same size and run it on the front and throw away the current front tire when I trike it? Dealer ever said anything about this

Well guys you have me confused , I have Bridgestone radials on my Victory cross country and going to trike it with CSC Ventura, someone said a radial tire on the front is dangerous on a trike?
Are you saying. Ave to find a bias ply rear tire in the same size and run it on the front and throw away the current front tire when I trike it? Dealer ever said anything about this

can't speak to them being dangerous but the original front tire on my vtx was a dunlop and it lasted just 4000 miles--i replaced it with the michlon pilot mounted backwords and just replaced with another piolit a couple weeks ago with 23000 miles on original.

The radial isnt dangerous,it just wears out more quickly than a bias-ply tire. Just wear it out and then switch to a bias-ply of your choice. Between the MPA,ME880 ,lasertech,BT45,Pirelli and such ,Im sure youll find one that will suit your needs.

FWIW, I mounted a brand new rear Dunlop 402 (MT-90x16) on the front of my Harley Softtail about a year ago. I mounted it in the normal direction, not reversed, because it looked like it would shed water better. (Channel water away rather than into the center.) It was left over after I "triked" my Electraglide. Since I was unhappy with typical front tire life, I decided to try a rear since I had it and nothing it would fit. (I use 150/80 rear tires on the Softtail.) Handling and braking are at least as good as with a front tire. Ride is the same. Tire life is much better, barely visible wear at 8,000 miles. Plus tread depth on rears is deeper than fronts. Haven't ridden in significant rain, so don't know about wet handling. I ride pretty briskly in the local twisties (yes, on a Softtail). I'm planning on mounting the same on the trike when it needs one.

Just FYI. If we are talking about a Gold Wing.....
The tire size is:
Brigestone BT-45 - 130/70 R 18
MPA (Michelin Pilot Active) 400H 18

Both are "Bias Ply. There is a difference in the Speed Rating.

Just FYI. If we are talking about a Gold Wing.....
The tire size is:
Brigestone BT-45 - 130/70 R 18
MPA (Michelin Pilot Active) 400H 18

Both are "Bias Ply. There is a difference in the Speed Rating.

Bob I was wondeing who told you for the MPA 400H 18?
I would be very careful on going more than the 130/70 with the Wings plastic fenders.

I bought a MPA online and mounted it on the front in reverse 5000 miles ago and it still looks new and handles way better than the Dunlap or Metzler. This is mounted on a VTX1800.

Hi;

I've had a Avon Venom rear reverse mounted backwards on the front.

I mounted mine in reverse because the tread pattern was directional & it was mounted to push water to sides when braking.

It has been on for 15000 miles with good tread left. The only problem is the Avon sidewall cosmetic cracking. My bike is a Royal Star Venture with a Voyager add-on. 1/2 mileage as 2 wheels - other half with Voyager.

JohnB

I have the 130/18 rear Mitchlin Active on the front expected life is around 40 K but the handling is awsome. Our builder Honda of Sumter puts them on the front of all CSC and Champion units they build . my 2012 Champion on a 2010 GL 1800 is fantastic !

I have the 130/18 rear Mitchlin Active on the front expected life is around 40 K but the handling is awsome. Our builder Honda of Sumter puts them on the front of all CSC and Champion units they build . my 2012 Champion on a 2010 GL 1800 is fantastic !

CONGRATS to Your Dealer for being on top of the Game.....pepper

I put the Dunlop rear tire from a 2008 Utra (I think 404) on the front of my Tridglide in the reverse rotation. The dealer that installed it for me had no problem with installing it. Then at 20,000 miles on this tire I hit a deer and it puncher the tire and I had to replace it. At 20,000 the tire looked great and looked as if it would run another 20,000 miles. The original tire that came on the trike was worn out at 20,000 miles.

The dealer I took my trike to for repairs after hitting Bambi's mother would replace the front tire with another rear tire however he would NOT reverse it. After a long discussion with him and showing him the articles I found on this forum about reverse rotation he finally agree to put it on reversed.

Just had to replace rear tires at 45,000 miles. Also Dunlop Signature. The Harley Stealer told me I had to get these rear tires from him that they were different than a car tire and would not work. I went to a Goodyear dealer and got another set of Dunlop Signature rear tires (same exact tire). Needless to say Harley wanted $440.00 for two and Goodyear got $220.00 for two balanced and mounted.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png