2014 tri Glide oil drain plug location ?

May 11, 2013
SUN CITY WEST. ARIZONA
Ok 1st of all my last new bike was an 2006. So Now I'm getting tired of paying the dealer for changing my oil on my 14 Tri Glide BUT!! I'm not sure which plug is for the Motor oil ? Can some post a pic of the plug for me. :D Even at 72 I want to do my own maintenance on her. So Instead of just taking a stab at it I want to be careful and do the right one. Thanks for any help you can give me on this. Rick

Ok 1st of all my last new bike was an 2006. So Now I'm getting tired of paying the dealer for changing my oil on my 14 Tri Glide BUT!! I'm not sure which plug is for the Motor oil ? Can some post a pic of the plug for me. :D Even at 72 I want to do my own maintenance on her. So Instead of just taking a stab at it I want to be careful and do the right one. Thanks for any help you can give me on this. Rick

Hi Rick, It's the one on the bottom front of the engine, closer to the front tire. Should also replace the o ring on the plug too. There's pic's in the owners manual also.

Hi Rick, It's the one on the bottom front of the engine, closer to the front tire. Should also replace the o ring on the plug too. There's pic's in the owners manual also.
HEY BOB. Long time No see or hear from. Not sure which one your talking about still. Can you post a pic of the one your talking about. I think I'm way off then :xzqxz:. Sending you a message.

If you are looking at the oil pan from the primary side of the engine you will see two bolts ,one looks more like a set screw located towards the center of the oil pan, the other which will be closest to you will have a hex head on it for a box end or open end or socket along with a hole in the center for an allen wrench,it is the one closest to the out side towards the frame rail.Hope this helps.

THANK YOU ALL AZBOB, Steve, & Snickers Thaks again for your help. That thing from ronnie's made it right for me. You guys are great. Rick:biggrin: Tomorrow is off to the HD shop for that over priced O ring & some Teflon :D.

Don't use teflon on the plug, don't need it, just the o ring is all. Don't over tighten the plug either, use a torque wrench and go with the lowest setting for the plug, I have never had any problems doing it the way I do JMHO, you need to get a manual also if you don't have one, it is very helpful.

All for now Trampas

oil plug

Don't use teflon on the plug, don't need it, just the o ring is all. Don't over tighten the plug either, use a torque wrench and go with the lowest setting for the plug, I have never had any problems doing it the way I do JMHO, you need to get a manual also if you don't have one, it is very helpful.

All for now Trampas
Yeah Don't use Teflon. I used Teflon on my oil drain plug. I turns Yellow just like the color of brass. it also gets hard just like brass. I thought my motor was shot. took a sample into the Harley dealer, they were about to rip my motor down for repair Some one upstairs must be looking after me cause another customer was listening to the conversation and he asked do you use Teflon. We then got the particles checked out and sure as heck it wasn't brass it was Teflon. Boy did I feel stupid but what a relief

Yeah Don't use Teflon. I used Teflon on my oil drain plug. I turns Yellow just like the color of brass. it also gets hard just like brass. I thought my motor was shot. took a sample into the Harley dealer, they were about to rip my motor down for repair Some one upstairs must be looking after me cause another customer was listening to the conversation and he asked do you use Teflon. We then got the particles checked out and sure as heck it wasn't brass it was Teflon. Boy did I feel stupid but what a relief

Great info.....I don't use teflon, But its good info for someone thinking of using it for other engine applications....ThumbUp

Were you using teflon tape or teflon paste?

I have used teflon tape on every drain plug hole (engine, primary, trans) for the last half million + miles. Never had it look like anything other than oily teflon tape when I pulled the plug.

I know it's probably not necessary anymore...but just something I do from years gone by...better safe than sorry.

Kevin

teflon

Were you using teflon tape or teflon paste?

I have used teflon tape on every drain plug hole (engine, primary, trans) for the last half million + miles. Never had it look like anything other than oily teflon tape when I pulled the plug.

I know it's probably not necessary anymore...but just something I do from years gone by...better safe than sorry.

Kevin
Teflon paste. worked in a gas plant for years, not a fan of the tape.

The Teflon tape is not there to seal anything anymore it is there because the two different metals. Aluminum oil pan and steal plug. Granted probably never going to corrode enough to be a problem most of us. What ever sealing it may have is just a bonus.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png