When are the 8 Valve, 6 Speed Sportsters coming?

Sep 30, 2014
Grafton, OH, USA
With the recent debut of HDs M8 engine; I wonder when/if they will introduce that valve train design to their Sportster line? And, finally upgrade the Sportster's transmission to a factory 6-speed?

I have always loved, and owner, and ridden a Sportster thru the years up and until I traded two wheels for three; purchasing my 2015 FLRT. I owned multiple bikes most of the time, but usually always chose the Sportster as my mainstay, throughout.

Now, I am on three wheels and my issues with riding two wheels seem to be well under control and I can ride two wheels again - not for a long trip; but, I can easily manage a half-day ride now (been practicing on an old Guzzi).

So, now that I can ride two wheels again....I am thinking Sportster! But, the Sportster could more than stand some updates in the above mentioned areas.....don't mess with the basic look or design though!

I just read an article on line that HD will release 50 new models in the next few years; I hope one or some of them are 8 valve, 6 speed Sportsters......and punching it up to a 1400 cc motor would be nice too (make that an SE add-on kit option)!
Springman

I had a 2013 1200 Sportster ' It had all the power i needed with the 5sp , The only things i would have changed' Was a larger gas tank, And a tachometer.
Why i traded it in for the Gunner, Was because of the low speed handing, It had to be muscled into parking lot speed turns, Whereas the Gunner drops in like the Sv 650 i had.. Hard to explain it 'Like the Sportster had a gyro in it that was trying to keep the bike upright on slow turns..:Shrug:

I had a 2013 1200 Sportster ' It had all the power i needed with the 5sp , The only things i would have changed' Was a larger gas tank, And a tachometer.
Why i traded it in for the Gunner, Was because of the low speed handing, It had to be muscled into parking lot speed turns, Whereas the Gunner drops in like the Sv 650 i had.. Hard to explain it 'Like the Sportster had a gyro in it that was trying to keep the bike upright on slow turns..:Shrug:

My last Sportster was a 2011 Forty-Eight. One of the mods I did to it was exchanging the Peanut tank for a Super-Low tank; and, I developed a very strong liking for that tank in the process - shape and capacity. The 6 speed tranny is not really about power - its about potential and getting the Sportster to where it can and should be in relation to the bike market; 6 speeds are sort of the standard now and the Sportster deserves to be allowed that point. I am very confident that HD can design a good and reliable 6 speed Sportster tranny if they decide to....I just want them to decide to.....
Springman

I do have an addition thought on this new 8 valve Sportster motor.....it could get the capacity of both air and water cooling - just like the new M8 motor........

I am a straight up, air-cooled enthusiast - no water in my HD please....but, a water-cooled Sportster may catch the interest of others.......

Springman

Yep, the Sportster is a great machine. They are reliable and proven and if I was to buy another 2 wheeler I would strongly consider a 1200T. But, I too would like to see some upgrades to the motor and a six speed trans.

Sunman

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png