Test Ride Question...Buying Without One

frankj

90+ Posts
Aug 24, 2013
Williamsburg MA USA
Hi. looking to eventually buy a used Valkyrie or Honda Tike, everyone says to test ride as many as you can, but there very few trikes around where I live and even then not all the ones I'm interested in, Roadsmith, MotorTrike, DFT; and if I find one from a private seller they may not allow a test ride.

I'll be at Americade, MotorTrike is there, but their ride is just figure eights in a parking lot, so my question is, have any of you bought a trike based on what make you liked and no test rides, are the different kits that radically different?

Thanks
Frank

Hi. looking to eventually buy a used Valkyrie or Honda Tike, everyone says to test ride as many as you can, but there very few trikes around where I live and even then not all the ones I'm interested in, Roadsmith, MotorTrike, DFT; and if I find one from a private seller they may not allow a test ride.

I'll be at Americade, MotorTrike is there, but their ride is just figure eights in a parking lot, so my question is, have any of you bought a trike based on what make you liked and no test rides, are the different kits that radically different?

Thanks
Frank

I bought two New Trikes, One in 2008,[Spyder] No test ride..Would the test ride have make any differences in buying or not....
Don't think so...:Shrug:

The other new one in 2011, With that one '[Tri-Glide] the dealer handed me the key/fob and said ride it where ever you want, And i did...And i bought it..

When I bought mine I had never rode a trike or a goldwing so I had no idea how it was supposed to run or ride.I knew I could trust the seller to tell me what was what to the best of his knowledge so I bought it.

I bought my "03 Goldwing without taking it for a test ride. It was 10 years old with less then 11,000 miles and had been triked since new. The first time I rode it was to back it off the trailer. Have no regrets.

Just the opposite for me! I would never buy any vehicle with out a good demo ride or drive. Either I ride/drive or the seller, dealer or private, takes me a ride.
If a dealer or a private seller wants to make a deal, a demo ride/drive is part of it.
Nor have I ever sold a vehicle without offering to take a potential buyer for a demo ride/drive of what ever distance desired.
Took quite of few rides on several trikes, including a trip to Hannigan in Murray, Ky. when I was "lookin".

When I bought my 15 TG, I test rode it before I bought it. Most Harley dealerships encourage you to ride the actual bike/trike you want to buy before you buy it.

The import places I went to before I converted weren't that way. The only bikes in the shop you were allowed to ride were the used ones, if they so happened to have a used version of what you wanted, and most of the time they didn't.

I called a shop about 2 hours away and asked about a Piaggio MP3 500 that my wife could test ride. They at first said no, and I asked them how they could expect to sell something if it couldn't be test ridden first. He changed his tune and said he would allow it if we put down a $100 refundable deposit. I'm okay with that.

Like to hear a comment from a dealer/installer on this. How about it Randy, would you allow a test/demo ride for a potential customer.

How can you tell if they are really a buyer or just a joy rider???
Do you have used/trade ins or any new ones in stock?
I rode 4 different trike brands(used) at 2 different installers + one brand new Wing/Hannigan while at the "factory" in Murray, Ky.

Looked and priced several others at many different installers but, unless I was really interested, would not ask for a test ride.

I remember 1 test ride that ended almost before it started! Terrible head shake!!!! Told the mechanic and his response was, "Oh, the bearings just need tightened up some!"
Really!!!

If I was selling, I'd make sure "things" were right before any potential customer asked for a test ride!!!!

Never went back there again!!!!

Ive sold at least 5 bikes and a few ATC/ATV's off my driveway... And the only way anyone is gonna get to test ride it is if they gave me the money i was asking in cash to hold while they test rode the bike....

Bought mine off Ebay and shipped to me. The price was good enough that I figured worse case on any repairs I would be ahead of the game. In the end i put another 3 grand into it and have a great running and riding trike, set up how I want. No regrets on the deal, ride pretty much every weekend with GWVIPER and his wife who I met here on TT. Money well spent.:D

A good friend told me about a trike that popped up for sale on this site. Bought it over the phone after having another friend that lived close by look it over. Rented a car and drove 400miles to pick it up, first ride was out the door and 400 miles home. I already knew I wanted a hannigan RSV and the price was worth the chance I took buying it this way. I have sold a few 2 wheelers, the only way they can test ride is if they put the cash in my hand first. If they bring it back with no damage and they are not happy for any reason they get their cash back. My 2cents?

Craig

Great Info..Thanks

Bought mine off Ebay and shipped to me. The price was good enough that I figured worse case on any repairs I would be ahead of the game. In the end i put another 3 grand into it and have a great running and riding trike, set up how I want. No regrets on the deal, ride pretty much every weekend with GWVIPER and his wife who I met here on TT. Money well spent.:D

That's the direction I may go, buy off Ebay, or used in my area, based on a lot of the responses and how many of you bought your trike without a ride, the need for me to test ride is not a deal breaker. I have a Valkyrie that I've owned for 17 years and ridden Goldwings so the trike will be one of those bikes, if I find one on Ebay and it's a great distance away I can have someone from the Valkyrie Riders club I belong to that lives near there check it out for it for me.

If a dealer had a used one for sale there would be an opportunity for a test ride, but the cost for a trike at a dealer would cost a lot more than private sale.

Frankj, I don't know how far Cornwall Bridge CT. is from you but you might want to contact Kent Road Motorsports. He has a couple of sweet deals posted on his website. Checking with Roadsmith too, they are usually at Americade and they do a great 1/2 hour demo ride. They weren't there last year, not sure about 2017. Also Motor Trike at Americade, We took a reverse trike GL1800 out for a ride last year and we loved it, especially the Mrs.

Bought my 2017 Triglide without ever having ridden a Trike before. Already had researched trikes and knew what my choice would be. Dealer delivered the Trike to my residence and picked up my 2010 Ultra Limited as a trade-in. Rode the Trike for the first time that day and loving the experience.

First time i road a trike was in 2014 in Daytona at Biketoberfest,wife twisted her ankle and couldnt get on my Road Glide so i rented a Tri Glide for 3 days.knew then that i would have one in the near future.

Sorry you live so far out.

We have been to many event s like you. Some time the rides are just trough a parking lot pretty much what you were talking about. I will say that Motortrike has left us take trike out for a good test ride 16 to 20 miles on nice twisty roads.
The last Motortrike I had out for a test ride was a reverse trike. I like it a lot. they are a little less expensive to buy than the rear tike.

I just bought a 2014 GoldWing with CSC side car kit on it. It was in the middle of a snow storm. It has 3400 miles still looks like new. Looking it over top to bottom it was spotless and the engine of course started and sounded like a GoldWing should. (My brother in Law owns an engine shop and all he dose is rebuild engines for the last 40 years. Believe me it an engine isn't right he will tell you.) I still haven't ridden yet other than on and off the trailer to bring it home and park it in the Garage.

If you can have a friend that knows or works on trikes go to check it out that would be great. I have done this with used cars and tractors some times. Have take my wrench turning friend with me.
It sounds like you are doing your home work.
Good Luck

I just got my Roadsmith trike home a week ago 2/27/17... My 2010 Honda Goldwing was converted into a beautiful trike... Last week was the first nice day of the season (very warm) and my builder called and said that my bike was ready..

His question was: I can transport it to you tonight or you can come and get it to ride it home that morning.....[well, that was a no-brainer as my wife was out of work that day and available to drive me the 80 miles to the builder shop]

So my first/only time ever on a trike was that day that I rode her home the 100++ miles [notice how my mileage changed from my original quote??] I just happened to get lost, on the way home, probably due too the hugh smile I had on my face the whole time..I didn't get home till much later that evening...wife was home, and didn't even ask why it took her 1 1/2 hours to get home and it took me over five hours to ride the exact distance....and usually when I come home with a smile on my face she always asked my why I was late and what bar did I stop in this time, and if I got laid or something.....Anyways my first ride was very pleasurable....

Glad I listened to you all, and converted to three!

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png