What's that noise ?

Feb 20, 2017
Clayton, NC, USA
A little while back I installed a 6 degree rake kit on my wife Sue's 93 Goldwing . After riding it a few hours we stopped for a break and got some drinks and sat down to relax.

I asked Sue how she liked her bike and she said it was making a funny noise . Being afraid something was wrong I hopped on it and took it for a spin, seemed normal . Thinking better of it we took it REAL slow back to the house where I could put it up and check everything over , funny thing was the noise went away .

I checked every nut and bolt on the Tow Pac and then the bike, nothing ,nada , not a squeak . HMMMM I took it out again and it rode normal . After beating my brain up worrying about her safety I decided to ride on the back while she drove , still nothing at first .

Finally she decided to take off quick and low and behold I heard the noise , she was squealing the danged tire , LOL . I had her pull over and adjusted the air ride to put some more pressure on the back tire, completely fixed it . I have a wild woman for a wife, LOL.

Sounds to me like you could use a bit more down force on the bike's rear tire and you might have too much down force on the trike's cart wheels...

When I picked my bike up after the installation, the guys at Tow-Pac told me that to check down force on the trike tires, grab a trike tire with both hands and give a sharp tug upward and you should JUST be able to break the trike tires loose...

I ride an 1800 which is quite a bit torqueier (is that a word??) than the 1500 and I have never broken my rear tire loose yet...Just this man's opinion and we all know what those are worth!!;)

Your wife kinda sounds like mine - I always kid her and say she has two speeds - - - off and on!!! She loves driving my F-250 with the V10 in it and my tools are always plastered up against the tailgate when I get it back!!!

Les

PS - I would also go back into the steering head after a few thousand miles and recheck head bearing torque just to be on the safe side... It usually tends to loosen up a bit... I just installed a 4.5 degree on mine and I'll be in there in a few months rechecking head bearing torque...

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png