Battery Replacement

Aug 9, 2012
E. Haddam, CT 06423
Hi folks, I am in need of a new battery for my 2012 HD Trike. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or recommendations for a new battery over the stock HD batteries? You feedback will be most appreciated.

Got a Big Crank for my Harley which is just a rebranded Deka from what I understand. And Deka is the OEM battery. Sometimes you can get them for less than this but I wasn't complaining when I needed a new one.

Yep.... Big Crank ETX30L Got mine from Battery Mart...99.95 delived to my door....That was back in 02/12/15..
By the way there was nothing wrong with the stock battery...Just like to change them every 4 years...

If you keep a battery tender connected when not being ridden you can easily get 7 years out of a battery. I've even heard of one guy getting 9 years out of one but I think after a full 7 years I'd change. That's when I changed mine in my 07 at the winter of 14. The original battery was still cranking but I could tell it was beginning to get slower doing it.

If you keep a battery tender connected when not being ridden you can easily get 7 years out of a battery. I've even heard of one guy getting 9 years out of one but I think after a full 7 years I'd change. That's when I changed mine in my 07 at the winter of 14. The original battery was still cranking but I could tell it was beginning to get slower doing it.

I didn't 86th the battery i charge it once a month , And then use it as bench tester,
To test lights and 12v motors..I also wired my Litebox..streamlight to it to keep its battery pack charged..When i throw something out..It is done, Finished.Its land fill....:)

I replaced my 5 yr old battery this week w/new OEM HD battery. Old still had good cranking power. Battery Tender connected 24/7 when parked in the garage. I don't take chances regarding how long I can get life out of batteries or tires. I don't like walking and relying on a cell phone for a life line in Tn is not always an option. I get 10% military discount on all parts at my HD dealer. Plus side of that is if something goes south, I can return it. The inconvenience of returning something by mail/UPS out-ways the convenience of front door delivery. JMTCW Good luck on whichever route you choose.

Replaced mine today on the road. a group of us took a ride and about 75 miles from home it would not crank. the closest thing around was an O'reilly and they had a ETX30LA I put it in and everything worked. the battery was in a 2014 Triglide so only three years old and stays on battery tender when parked.

Replaced mine today on the road. a group of us took a ride and about 75 miles from home it would not crank. the closest thing around was an O'reilly and they had a ETX30LA I put it in and everything worked. the battery was in a 2014 Triglide so only three years old and stays on battery tender when parked.

Batteries are mysterious black box's... Some will last 8 years, and some will give up the Ghost in only a year or two...:Shrug:

Batteries are mysterious black box's... Some will last 8 years, and some will give up the Ghost in only a year or two...:Shrug:

Heck I've had them quit in a day after carefully following all directions which include charging for 24 hours. Test fine and the 3rd or 4th start...DEAD. You would think after all this time they would have a good dependable battery. But nope. They are basically the same thing they were 80+ years ago. I keep hearing rumors new batteries are much improved but I'd be hard pressed to prove it. Luck of the draw how long it will last but you do have the best chance keeping one on a tender when not in use. Especially with these computer controlled bikes now. They have 24/7 drain on the battery.

Battery Mart. Com Big Crank Battery good price and good battery. Hit or miss with some batterys as far as how long they last. In FL I am lucky to get 3 years out of them and thats hooked up to a tender 24/7. Doc

Battery Mart. Com Big Crank Battery good price and good battery. Hit or miss with some batterys as far as how long they last. In FL I am lucky to get 3 years out of them and thats hooked up to a tender 24/7. Doc

That's where I bought mine ' Via Amazon 99.99$ two years ago? Can't believe how fast it came ' Ordered it in the afternoon got it the next day ��

I change my battery, every couple of (three yrs) years.....Something about a bike not starting, when your far away from home..BUT.. then again, a bike not starting in your own garage totally sucks also....O' it's kept on a tender yr around!

The last time it didn't start (10 yrs ago) I was with a couple of Harleys (all friends by the way) and I still hear about it every time we all go out riding together:Shrug::Shrug:

It's the usual (~friendly~) Harley vs Honda bashing :Coffee::Coffee:...............fun, fun, fun!

Ronnie

I'm in the battery replacement mode as well so lots of good information in this thread. Curious about some of the replacement batteries being use as they fall below the recommended specs in the owner's manual... 405 CCA and 28 Ah. Would appreciate any feedback on this....

Thanks

Doug

I'm in the battery replacement mode as well so lots of good information in this thread. Curious about some of the replacement batteries being use as they fall below the recommended specs in the owner's manual... 405 CCA and 28 Ah. Would appreciate any feedback on this....

Thanks

Doug

I replaced my battery 2011 Tri-Glide two+ years ago with a big -crank EXT30L

26ah/400cca, And it starts just fine... I don't know if Harley does this' But some company's tweak the numbers so as you can only find the ''exact'' numbers from their own branded parts...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png