Run around. Can someone point me a way thru this?

Skytex

Aug 18, 2010
Waco, Tx, USA
Ok, So i've finally got the money to get what I think I want. A Can-Am Spyder. I've looked at them ofton over the last 3 years since they came out but i've never gotten a chance to try one out. I can't ride 2-wheelers due to screwed up inner-ears not giving me the balance to keep one upright. I have tried 2-wheelers. Anyways, I started seriously calling around today and got a huge run-around.

First, I called a dealership that had a demo to test ride. They said you have to have your M endorsement to test ride it. So, I called the DPS to see what all I would need to gain this endorsement (I've already got my A CDL). They said I needed to take a motorcycle safety class. So, we called a couple of those and posed my problem to them that I would have to ride a trike and could not ride a bike. One hung up on us at the mention of a trike, the other blew us off. A little reading and calling later we found out that there are trike classes around Texas. We called these, No one rents trikes. We found one in killeen but as I said, they do not rent trikes and no one that dose. Thus, I need a trike to take the class to get the licenses to test ride the trike in the first place.

I'm certainly not going to go drop $13,000+ on a desire that I think I may enjoy it. Without finding a place that would rent a trike of some sort, I'm stuck in a loop I can't seem to find a way out of. I would even be willing to pay what I think is a high fee for the trike class just to get to try one at this point, but i can't get one to ride for it. The cheapest class I've found is $195 in Killeen TX. One place in Dallas offered to do it for $780 and I still have to bring my own trike. Finally, I've taken to looking online for a solution to this conundrum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Waco, TX (between austin and dallas/ft worth).

Let me get this straight you are between a ROCK and a VERY HARD place. I would think a dealer would take you to a parking lot to let you try it . HAVE you ever ridden a motorcycle. Let me tell you a story. my sister in laws boy friend wanted a Bergman scooter. (Automatic ) . Told the dealer he wanted to test drive it. Dealer said no .Her friend has his license M endorsement from 20 years ago. I guess he rode a dirt bike 175 cc . Anyway he finally buys the bike, gets on to leave the dealership , starts it up puts on his helmet and takes off in a wheelie lands on the grounds spins around and does $400 damage to the bike . The dealer says " exactly why we don't let people test drive them." Without an endorsement no chance. Now my friend had the same problem you have no balance, We finally convinced them to let her take a test on a trike. Her husband left her a 2003 GW trike when he died 3 years ago. so all she needed to do was get a permit. Maybe with a permit you can try one . Still think he should let you try it in a parking lot on a SAT
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/new-members-area/3613-old-bike-new-rider.html

I'll ask tomorrow if a ride around the parking lot would be allowed but i'm not too hopeful considering a new spyder is running 20k+. sorta like asking for a test drive in a viper. What are you calling a permit?

I would also see if u can find someone in the Goldwing Riders Ass. they offer safey courses for trikes at their rallies.. Maybe if u explained ur problem they might be able to help U..and they have chapteres all over..

Good luck...

Yeah I tried to get ahold of them today but didn't get an answer. I pretty much started hitting every source i could find for info. I"ll try again tomorrow.

I know if you had a motorcycle license they would let you test ride most trikes. When the Tri-Glides first came out some dealers required you to watch a video of the Tri-Glide.....unique problem

I would think that a dealer would let you ride as a passenger with one of their licensed operators driving. I know it wouldn't get your hands on the controls, but you would get to find out if you could safely ride it and not have a problem with balance. That would go a long way in helping you decide if it's worth spending the money. Then after you own the bike, you have the ride to do the riders course and get your license.

Yeah I tried to get ahold of them today but didn't get an answer. I pretty much started hitting every source i could find for info. I"ll try again tomorrow.

Don't know about Texas but here in West Virginia we have what is called a "Learners Permit". It is good for three months and allows you to ride a motorcycle during daylight hours only and no passengers. I had to have one as a prerequsite for the AMA Motorcycle Safety Course and was awarded my MC endorsement after passing the course. This permit is obtained by taking the written portion of the motorcycle test. I would think most states require learners permits and possesing one would make it legal for you to test ride a Spyder. Just a thought???

Check you state DMV laws. In SC if you have a regular Drivers license you do not need a trike license. There is also a "Beginner" Class M in which all you do is take a writtten test. Most shops around here will let your test ride a Bike with the beginner license as long as you rode into their parking lot on a bike, if you show up in a cage then they are going to want to see a full Class M.

I guess it's about proving you are not going to trash their Bike or trike.

Only other option is to try and find someone kind enough to let you test theirs.

I.m surprised that you have to have your own trike to take the course in Tx. Here the MSF gives a trike course and you use theirs. The problem is, there is only two courses a year. If TX has a permit program, go get the book from DMV and after you read it, go take the written test. That may give you the opportunity to ride in the parking lot.

HI Skytex,

sorry you're having so many problems. If you lived closer i'd let you try out my spyder. I just wanted to warn you that not all states (mine included) allow testing for an M rating on a trike. But we do have a learners permit that is good for a year. I'm with the others, try any dealers in your area & ask them to let you ride in their parking lot. You shouldn't have any issues, especially if their demo is the SE version with the clutchless shift. Good luck, I love my spyder & only wish i'd found it sooner.

janetb

What a rough situation. What has been the outcome? Here in NZ the Canam Spyders only require an automobile licence. Good luck and keep the pressure up and something good is bound to happen.

Skytex, I worked a Goldwing trike course in Killeen a couple of weeks ago. They require an M endorsement to take the course. I live in Copperas Cove and may be able to help you. You probably talked to the people at Total Rider which meets classroom portion at Killeen Power Sports and have their range portion By Buffalo Billys and 439 in Killeen.

If John at Total Rider and Texas law will allow you to take the MSF course on a trike I can rent you mine I would have to take it to the course and bring it home after each day and bring it back the next day and again take it home. The range portion is a 2 day affair. I will do that for $125.00. I live about 25 miles from the range so the money is for my time.

My trike is a 2006 Goldwing GL 1800.

Talk to John first and then let me know via a PM

Skytex, I just spoke to Liz Elliott she is John's Wife. She said they do not teach the MSF on trikes so I would not be able to help you.

However, she gave me the DPS number 512-424-2021. She said they can tell you specifically what you need to find a trike training course. Explain your situation to them.

Last edited:
try spyderlover.com they should be able to help you

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png