Highway Speed Chirp

prm

Jun 8, 2010
Tennessee
This afternoon my trike started a chirp at highway speed.

It has about 350 miles on it since the conversion, and was not making the noise before today. Around town and up to 55 MPH nothing. At around 60 if I roll the throttle off, I get about a half second chirping noise. Also, I noticed that if I pull in the clutch and release it at this speed, I get the same half second chirp. The trike seems to be running right except for the annoying chirp.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar, and what did you do to stop it???

Radio not turned up loud enough.Honestley I don't have a clue just thought I would through that in.GOOD LUCK RIDE SAFE

I have a "03 Ultra Classic. I have the same (or at least similar) chirp when I release the throttle. It started after I upgraded to big bore and seems to be coming from the breather area. Engine has never given a bit of trouble and I've asked several other , more knowledgeable, folks with no results.

My trike builder does mostly Gold Wings ~ guess the HD was a little different??? The belts were adjusted too loose. Took it to a local HD dealer, NO MORE CHIRP.

Ya'll got it....it's belt chirp. It may come back in the rain, but then go away. Mine will occasionally do it downshifting under pressure in the mountain curves. I think the Harley guys have "something" they can apply to the belt, but the normal rule is to leave it alone, other than adjusting I mean. Gates says don't put any sort of lubricant on it, unless they have changed lately.

2-wheelers will do it also and I have owned two Ultra Classics that would, especially in the rain. There is a spacer behind the drive pulley that should be checked when they make a conversion, but most folks don't do it. If the belt rides close to the outer edge of the pulley...that will also cause it to chirp.

You folks with these shaft-driven rigs have to remember that us Harley guys, and the Victory too I think...run on a rubber band back there......rubber squeaks!

Yeah, the GW is a little different. It doesn't have a belt. Probably confused the poor guy looking for your drive shaft.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png