Stock Air Box Back On Re-Did, Re-Rout EBS Catch Can Set Up

Mar 5, 2015
Bakersfield California USA
I installed the Stock Air Box back on our 2017 trike today. I also re-installed the (EBS) catch can set up I had previously used. I decided to re-rout it out of the air box and re-rout it under the frame.

I think it turned out well. I had to make a clamp and mount it to the existing exhaust clamp (see pic hose running through clamp).

I had to drill a small hole in the stock air boxs bottom for the hose to exit and rout the path of the hose not to touch anything and not to get melted.

Ride Safe All, :)

Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 471
Sorry your stage 1 air cleaner didn't work out for you, surprised you didn't take it the dealer for a download

All for now Trampas

Trampas,

My 2017 trike runs very well stock. For me the stage 1 was about looks and an experiment. My bubbly will buy the stage 1 from me for what I paid for it. He builds high end hot rod Harley motors at his engine shop.

On the 2017 models with the 107 M8 there is no more downloads like on previous years. You have to now buy the HD Screaman Eagle EPA legal street tuner or an aftermarket tuner to tune the 2017 M8 engines.

I did not want to spend $300.00 to $400.00 dollars to get that little extra. As said I find the 2017 trike with the 107 M8 to run just fine stock plenty of power.

Also I can live with the looks of the stock air box. Plus I can now use my catch can mod.

Ride Safe My Friend,

Bill G

You would have to buy a aftermarket tuner since the HD one is not for triglide, I looked it up one time when I was talking to the service department and they mention that one from harley. I looked at online and it does not show any triglide at one, everything is all 2 wheelers and even the CVO's. I called harley up and they said it is not recongnize by harley for triglides, I ask him why not and he could not answer it, go figure.

All for now Trampas

EBS

I see that your hoses run up and over the air cleaner. You may have trouble with that as there may not be enough pressure to push the oil up and it may block off your air flow. I had that trouble with my freewheeler until I routed the hoses to all flow downward.

I see that your hoses run up and over the air cleaner. You may have trouble with that as there may not be enough pressure to push the oil up and it may block off your air flow. I had that trouble with my freewheeler until I routed the hoses to all flow downward.

Thanks for your feed back,

The factory hoses ran the same way over the filter. I had this same set up on my previous mod on this 2017 with no issues before I moved the catch can further down to the frame.

I have seen simular mods done by others. It seems to work just fine, it is really just a vent. I don't think pressure plays to much into it functioning correctly as a vent.

Also the 107 M8 vents to two diffrent places. Another vent goes to a space in the crankcase. Previous year Harley motors did not do this.

What year was your Freewheeler??

Time will tell.

Ride Safe,

Bill G

Last edited:
You would have to buy a aftermarket tuner since the HD one is not for triglide, I looked it up one time when I was talking to the service department and they mention that one from harley. I looked at online and it does not show any triglide at one, everything is all 2 wheelers and even the CVO's. I called harley up and they said it is not recongnize by harley for triglides, I ask him why not and he could not answer it, go figure.

All for now Trampas

Thats is news to me and you may be correct. My dealer tells a diffrent story. I talked to them about it just before I did my testing on the stage 1 without a tune being done.

Ride Safe, :)

Bill G

Gerald,

The more I thought about it it made me think why take a chance. So I re-did the lines to go low it was easy enough to do. Why take a chance that it will be an issue on the road. It is just a vent so this way there should be no restriction at all.

See pic's of re-rout to flow downward instead of over the filter. ThumbUp

Thanks again for your feed back on this. :)

Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 444
vent

Gerald,

The more I thought about it it made me think why take a chance. So I re-did the lines to go low it was easy enough to do. Why take a chance that it will be an issue on the road. It is just a vent so this way there should be no restriction at all.

Bill G

looks good. you will have no problems now for sure.

Looks like you had to drill another hole in air cleaner by the looks of it, basically I think this looks better and it won't have to go uphill so to speak

All for now Trampas

Looks like you had to drill another hole in air cleaner by the looks of it, basically I think this looks better and it won't have to go uphill so to speak

All for now Trampas

Yes, I had to drill another hole but it is on the inside of the air box out of sight. The hose would not squeeze between the filter and the cover coming down the front side so the hole had to be done.

It worked out well this way. The hole also serves as a guide and support for the hoses path. Also the hole does not affect the function or strength of the air box in anyway.

Take Care Friend,

Bill G

Thanks for this write-up. I have been considering the very same idea for my 2012 as I am running the stock air box with a K&N filter with the air box modified for increased air flow. Getting the oil vapor out of the air cleaner is a good idea and my ideas for an EBS are very close to what you did. Great pictures.

Bill G ?

Gerald,

Bill G

Is this 3/8" fuel line you used for routing ? Looks like also 2- 90* elbows and a Tee ? Like this mod. I only have 100 miles on my 17 Tri with no oil yet showing in the filter area. I am surprised to see no drain hole in the plastic filter housing ,looks like water would puddle there. Thanks Doc

Is this 3/8" fuel line you used for routing ? Looks like also 2- 90* elbows and a Tee ? Like this mod. I only have 100 miles on my 17 Tri with no oil yet showing in the filter area. I am surprised to see no drain hole in the plastic filter housing ,looks like water would puddle there. Thanks Doc

Doc,

The tubing is 1/4" I believe. It is some tubing I had laying around from some smog stuff that was removed from a duel sport a few years back. Yes two 90 and a T, also some spring clips.

The tubing needs to fit tight that's why I used the spring clips. When you change the venting from positive pressure to negative pressure with the mod. Any loose fitting hoses will or could weep oil vapor.

I bet if you remove your air filter and look in the throttle body you will see a small puddle of oil in it like in the pic below.

Harley has routed the vapor back in this way for years and has worked to meet EPA requirements. I look at it like this, if you can remove the hot oily vapor from the throttle body without major mods, why not.

If it was a major mod I would have left things alone but it's a pretty simple mod to do. It has has to be better for the motor taking the hot vapor out of the throttle body.

The pic below is of my 2017 trike stock set up at around 800 miles or so. I got the catch can from DK Customs. It seems to be the right size.

Ride Safe, :)

Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Pulled the stock nipple, I see it is 1/4" Sorry.

Correct 1/4" also there is a very small seem at the bottom of the stock air box. I don't think it is air tight.

I suppose this could weep water out but how affective it would be is another thing. Yes, I agree in your other post a weep hole might be a good thing.

The long run of tubing I used is thicker more heavy duty in size but was 1/4". It all fit nice and tight.

Take Care, :)

Bill G

Bill G

Correct 1/4" also there is a very small seem at the bottom of the stock air box. I don't think it is air tight.

I suppose this could weep water out but how affective it would be is another thing. Yes, I agree in your other post a weep hole might be a good thing.

The long run of tubing I used is thicker more heavy duty in size but was 1/4". It all fit nice and tight.

Bill G

Thanks for the pictures and info on the breather. I still have no oil in the intake dry as a bone but I am doing your mod anyway and drill a weep hole in the air box. I have always vented the breather to ground in years past and it has worked out great for me , Never did it with the stock air box. I like what you did and am going to do it. Thanks Doc

Bill G

OK I did your mod,

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_140429.jpg
    IMG_20170405_140429.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20170405_133051 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_133051 - Copy.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20170405_133102 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_133102 - Copy.jpg
    885.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20170405_133157 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_133157 - Copy.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20170405_133244 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_133244 - Copy.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20170405_140420 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_140420 - Copy.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20170405_140437 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_140437 - Copy.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20170405_140815 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_140815 - Copy.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20170405_140823 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_140823 - Copy.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20170405_140830 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170405_140830 - Copy.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 212
All 1/4" with barbs on the fittings . Will not come loose. I show a pic of the holes I drilled in the air box the smaller is for a drain may not be needed but hay I was in there

, 1/2"hole for the 1/4" ID fuel line. Plugged the back of the paper filter were the stock line went in. All went well and $28 at Ace they had it all.3 ft of 1/4" fuel line 2 mini clamps 2 90* nipples 1 Tee all with barbs. Thanks Bill G.

These new breathers do not breath as much as the twin cam going by what I felt before the hose install at the breather bolts now it is all out the hose to atmosphere.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png