Front tire wear after installing a trike kit

Apr 24, 2016
Boyce, LA, USA
Okay, I have looked for this subject in the search and have not found anything which helps. After installing a Hannigan kit on my 2009 LT, I have found that the front tire, a Metzler 880, is showing abnormal wear. After about 6,000 miles, it is wearing right down the center of the tire. The treads are almost gone. Of course, the sidewalls will not wear because there is no leaning. I have heard that some have retrofitted a flat profile car tire on the front. Seems to me that this could be a bit tricky. I would appreciate any input on this subject. Thank you all.

I run a rear tire (the exact same size as my original front tire) turned (backward rotation) on the front of my trike.

I don't need side flex and the rear tire is made of much harder rubber. It handles just fine in all weather and road circumstances and I have 25,000 miles on it.

I am just now thinking of changing it out.

I get a bit stiffer ride on the front end but not nearly so bad as to get me to do things differently, I am running a Dunlop elite.

Why backwards???

Okay, thanks for that. But, why mount the rear tire backwards. I have read this off an on and have never had an explanation as to why the rear tire should be mounted in reverse.

The belts are installed opposite on the tire body due to the directional torque of the rear tire(driving force) being opposite of the front tire(braking force). Therefore you will be using the rear tire as a braking force only which is why you put it on backwards.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png