Anyone know Valkyrie's well?

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
Reaction score
I can't find a Valk discussion board on the web. I think some of you own a Valk, so I thought I'd ask here.

I know nothing about boxer engines. I'm looking at 2 Valks at the local dealer right now. One has 45K miles, the other has 65K miles. *Assuming* an owner does his scheduled maintenance, what kind of lifespan can you expect from the engine. With 6 carbs, is it a nightmare to keep running smooth? What does it cost for a dealer to sync up all those carbs? Are there any know issues with these bikes that I should be looking for? Are parts easy to get? It wasn't a big seller, and has been out of production a long time now. This is for 2 wheels, wasn't intending to trike it.

Thanks guys.

As for as the engine is concerend it is a hoped up 1500 engine,they added four more carbs,a diffrent cam shaft and my understanding is heaver valve springs so it would rev up higher and done away with the reverse and a couple of other minor changes out side of that it is a 1500 gold wing engine.
Unless you abuse it and as long as you do your seceled maintanice on it you should have no problems.As for as the carbs,unless it sits a lot just leave them alone run some sea foam through it every once in awhile.
If you are one where you can not ride during the winter,fill the tank up put some stabil in it go for a ten mile ride bring it home put it on a battery tender cover it up and for get it,you may want to change the oil and oil filter and clean it up real good before you put it away.
Do not I repeat do not go out and start it up every couple of weeks and start it up to keep the battery charged up this will not only cause condesation in the exhaust and cause them to rust out but will cause condensation in the engine which is not good for them.
When riding season comes again uncover it and start riding.
:D:D:D

Steve,
try yahoo groups, surely there will be one there,
ray[neck]

Hi Steve . I got two of them a 98 and a 2000 . I spend alot of time on the Valk site VRCC . Great people there, Most do there own work. Do not like the prices at the stealers. Take my word for it , do NOT park it without seafoam or stabil in it. Will plug the low speed jets. 6 hours to take apart and put back together. I triked both of them, one for my wife and one for me. We both really love them, all the power you could ask for and a smooth ride.
Just like this site go there and interduce yourself. You will find another real friendly place to hang out.
Loner

Being a 1500 hop up motor the lifespan of a Goldwing 1500 motor with schedule maintenance and a New cam belt at 100,000 miles and new plugs at 75,000 is about 175,000 on average . They can go longer but then you have to tinker with them a little. At this point it is not broken in yet so go easy with it, keep it under 85 MPH for long periods of time .Short 20 min. burst are ok. I would have the brushes checked or replaced in the alternator , that seems to be the only trouble spot with them

I don't own one and have never ridden one, but one of the core members in my little riding group has been all over the lower 48 and most of Canada with us riding his. He has owned two that I know of. He sold the first one he had, borrowed his brother-n-laws Road King and rode it for around 3-months. Gave the RK back to his brother-n-law and bought another used Valk. He has never had to go find a Honda shop to have a thing done, but I do recall on one trip that he had a coolant leak around one of the front cylinders. I figured it was a head gasket, but he rode it all the way back from Oregon and never really had to add any coolant. I asked him about it on the next trip and he told me it was "some sort" of gasket in the area of that cylinder, but not a head gasket. Told me it was something minor and may have been around the water pump for all I know.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like the 2 Valks should be good for a long time yet.

Take my word for it , do NOT park it without seafoam or stabil in it.

Was chatting with a guy at a PGR mission last week. He couldn't come on his Valk because he had parked it for 3 weeks w/o Seafoam and the carbs were all gunked up. 3 weeks sounds pretty quick. He blamed it on the Ethanol in gas.

That sounds like maby a bad filter on petcock in tank. And bad gas. Pull tank, drain and check filter. If older than 4 yrs. replace and think about rebuilding petcock. Three weeks is too short of time to have problems like that. Usally happens when gas dries out. Not a hard job to pull tank and clean. Refill tank half full add can of sea foam and go for about 10 mile ride try to keep the rpm's low, just above idel. Take it home and park over night. Should feel inprouvment next day. If it dont clear up by the time you run the tank out you might have to pull carbs:( Best of luck. Send him to Valk site VRCC and check tech .
Loner

That sounds like maby a bad filter on petcock in tank. And bad gas. Pull tank, drain and check filter. If older than 4 yrs. replace and think about rebuilding petcock. Three weeks is too short of time to have problems like that. Usally happens when gas dries out. Not a hard job to pull tank and clean. Refill tank half full add can of sea foam and go for about 10 mile ride try to keep the rpm's low, just above idel. Take it home and park over night. Should feel inprouvment next day. If it dont clear up by the time you run the tank out you might have to pull carbs:( Best of luck. Send him to Valk site VRCC and check tech .
Loner

Had his bike in for service already at that time. So what's your take on a Valks' life (mileage) expectancy? Know of any know problems with them? My membership is "in the works" at VRCC

If maintained 200,000 sounds about rite. The biggest and most common from reading the tech posts is hydralock, stock petcock does not shut off and with a sticky float it will fill the cylinder full of gas and when you hit the starter it will lock up. It will sound like a weak bat. Don`t go any farther pull the plugs and try turning it over. If it does not turn over then its the bat. If it turns over then you got lucky and it will put gas to the other side of your shop. Does that sound like the voice of experience? If you did not get lucky it probably tore the head off the starter which means complete tear down. Like I said in the other post about 4 years for petcock, then rebuild or replace with manual one. There are several other things that go bad but only with abuse or lack of maint. Take care of the old girl and she will take care of you for many years.
Loner

Well, that ain't gonna work. I get PAINFUL cramps in my right hip if I sit too straight up on a bike. I drove a Valk today, the rider profile is much too straight up for me. Sat on a Wing, same thing. Looks like I'll have to stay on something with a nice recline, like a VTX.

Was hoping to get away from V-twins if I could.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png