Hannigan 180 front end kit

Reaction score
I'm taking my Hannigan GW trike to KY so they can see why the installer has it sitting low and while it's there I may have them install their 180 kit.

I'd like to hear from those that have the kit on their Wing.

Would you do it again if you had to replace your ride with another one?

Please let us know why it is setting low, thanks

As far as the 180 front, pretty big hit on cost for a fat tire!!! I asked a former manager at Hannigan what was done to the "inside" of the forks. For some reason, I never got an answer!!!!!

I've followed the reports of one owner of the 180 on another forum. He posts praises for it with high mileage on the tire.

I never got to test one so all I can do is post what this person had to say. Obviously he thinks it's great and well worth the money.

Have you checked out the front available from EuroWing?

BTW. NL,CT to Murray, Ky is quite a trip!!!! Did you ask if another installer closer to you could be paid by Hannigan to check it out?

Last edited:
Please let us know why it is setting low, thanks

As far as the 180 front, pretty big hit on cost for a fat tire!!! I asked a former manager at Hannigan what was done to the "inside" of the forks. For some reason, I never got an answer!!!!!

When I asked during my factory tour I was told they added heavier springs to the forks.

As far as cost goes, if you had the 180 front end installed during the kit installation it would add about $1,000 over the normal rake kit and new front tire. Additionally, the new wider fender is built longer on the back side which save buying a fender extender. From the reports I've read, the primary one being the same person you are talking about, the ride, handling, and tire wear all significantly improved.

As far as the Eurowing front end, I have questions but after repeated attempts to get some technical answers I have been unable to get a response. I question whether the built in rake kit would be sufficient for long wheelbase trikes like my Roadsmith since the Eurowing wheelbase appears to be the same as original bike. Plus, I've seen no reviews on how it handles compared to other front ends.

As far as cost goes, if you had the 180 front end installed during the kit installation it would add about $1,000 over the normal rake kit and new front tire.

Not sure where your price came from but, the 180 front is approx. $4,000!!!! That's substantially more than a rake kit and new front tire!!!!

When I asked during my factory tour I was told they added heavier springs to the forks.

But, what does heavier springs mean?? I wanted to know exactly what they were incase I wanted something different!

When I got my Hannigan, I was told by one installer, he had sold 6 customers "heavy springs"(not the 180 fronts). 5 of those had returned asking for the OEM springs to be reinstalled, so he quit insisting on heavy springs!

Some time later, it seems, Hannigan made "heavy springs" mandatory with any of their kits!?!?

Let me be clear.. I love my Hannigan kit on my 2012 Wing. That being said, I have also had questions that Hannigan never seemed in a hurry to answer.. The calipers are so small the rear brake pads do not last long at all. Also, I had to have the Progressive springs removed since the ride was so rough it broke my front fender. When I posted on this site about why Hannigan put such puney brakes on the rear they never answered, even with several reminders. When I got them on the phone they simply said that the brakes are motorcycle brakes. Hell, I knew that. Nothing looks as good as my Hannigan kit, ( IMHO) and I would probably buy another one but I wish the company was a little bit more forth coming.

............... Also, I had to have the Progressive springs removed since the ride was so rough it broke my front fender.............

FRR, I'm not saying stiff springs didn't cause your front fender issue but many have had that issue including myself. When I was doing a little research on the goldwing front fender I found more mention of this occurring on 2012 models than other years. Most feel the fender extensions are the major cause of this problem..........I'm not completely sold on that.

Good Luck with your Hannigan.

FRR, I'm not saying stiff springs didn't cause your front fender issue but many have had that issue including myself. When I was doing a little research on the goldwing front fender I found more mention of this occurring on 2012 models than other years. Most feel the fender extensions are the major cause of this problem..........I'm not completely sold on that.

Good Luck with your Hannigan.

Dennis, you bring up a good point here. I ride some rough roads here in Clermont County, (I'm sure you know where that is) and those Progressive springs shook my bike to pieces. My installer even mentioned that most of his customers that bought Hannigan's had him change the springs out back to stock. Oh, and I did take that fender extension and pitch it when I got my new fender. I know it didn't weigh much, but I didn't want to take any more chances.

.................... Oh, and I did take that fender extension and pitch it when I got my new fender. I know it didn't weigh much, but I didn't want to take any more chances.

when I replaced my front fender I went through the same thoughts. I wanted it on as I felt it offered protection to that area but I sure didn't want to take the risk of maybe another broken fender.

I ride a CSC and I feel it's front suspension is too harsh. Many times it feels as the only suspension (give) is what little the front tire itself offers.

I ride a CSC and I feel it's front suspension is too harsh. Many times it feels as the only suspension (give) is what little the front tire itself offers.

Several reasons for that feel!

1. One of the biggest is the thought one needs to run 42psi in the front end!!! Just not true. Try reducing pressure to 36psi and see what you think!

2. A stuck ADV. Take it apart and clean it, check to make sure it functions properly

3. Yes, it can be the fork springs. Most of those "heavy springs" are just that, to heavy. Stock springs are good enough. Springs do wear out!!!! Mine were replaced at 32K miles with new take offs from a trike shop. Cost me shipping to get them!

Oh, and don't forget to change the fork oil at the proper intervals!

Several reasons for that feel!

1. One of the biggest is the thought one needs to run 42psi in the front end!!! Just not true. Try reducing pressure to 36psi and see what you think!

Quilty as charged running 41 PSI. BUT my front tire is wearing flat. I'm concerned that by lowering the air pressure would expedite that.

2. A stuck ADV. Take it apart and clean it, check to make sure it functions properly

Ill take a look at my manual and see if this is something I feel I can handle. Thanks

3. Yes, it can be the fork springs. Most of those "heavy springs" are just that, to heavy. Stock springs are good enough. Springs do wear out!!!! Mine were replaced at 32K miles with new take offs from a trike shop. Cost me shipping to get them!
Since I bought the bike used and it has the rake kit (what ever CSC calls theirs) in it I've often wondered if it had some aftermarket springs installed.

Oh, and don't forget to change the fork oil at the proper intervals!

It's on the list of to do things. Got a oil weight suggestion?

Quilty as charged running 41 PSI. BUT my front tire is wearing flat. I'm concerned that by lowering the air pressure would expedite that.

Tires are not that expensive! The quality of the ride is greatly improved at the lower PSI.

BTW, I have no experience w/the Avon trike tire. Not sure what the "good" psi for it is???

The tire presently on my trike was on it when I bought it. I don't remember it having a flat profile on it when I got it however with the approx. 3000 mi. I've put on the tire it definitely has flattened out. I have no idea the total miles on the tire but I'd bet its not going to get anything near what some of these guys & gals on this forum are getting.

The tire presently on my trike was on it when I bought it. I don't remember it having a flat profile on it when I got it however with the approx. 3000 mi. I've put on the tire it definitely has flattened out. I have no idea the total miles on the tire but I'd bet its not going to get anything near what some of these guys & gals on this forum are getting.

What kind of tire is it?

Tires are not that expensive! The quality of the ride is greatly improved at the lower PSI.

BTW, I have no experience w/the Avon trike tire. Not sure what the "good" psi for it is???

Avon told me to run 40-42 psi. I do. figure they designed and built they probably know the stresses, temps, etc. and what is best. I'm running two up and heavy.

Tires are not that expensive! The quality of the ride is greatly improved at the lower PSI. BTW, I have no experience w/the Avon trike tire. Not sure what the "good" psi for it is???

Im with you and the 36psi front. As Ive stated a ton of times here. Ride quality is to me is greatly improved at 36 psi even less 33 is where Im at now with the Avon.The Avon tire.....................If someone had a new MPA and came over here. They could have mine.

After 1500 miles and a lot of experimenting with pressures. I overall don't like it.:gah:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png