Rake, rake, rake

Ol' Man Jeb

1750+ Posts
Sep 8, 2013
Bettendorf, Ia
I have a '96 GL1500A w/Motor Trike conversion. How do I tell if it is raked? From reading prior posts, and from the way it steers, my best guess is that it is not. Either that or my age and infirmities have caught up with me.

Try to find a stock 1500 bike and measure distance between lower back of fender to front of motorcycle. (or call a friend who has one and have them measure it) Then measure trike the same way. IF distance is same then no rake. Anything greater = rake.

hay Jeb

if it is hard to turn the front wheel most likely you don't have but go ahead and check a bike that don't have a rake and measure like other have said. if it is not and you put one on it is like power steering. I have a 2000 gl1500 se with a 6 deg. rake and love it

I have a '96 GL1500A w/Motor Trike conversion. How do I tell if it is raked? ...
Clues above, looking at distance for example between rear of front fender and lower cowl, look at the scoops on side of rotor cover (stock they are near level, raked tilts them up in front)

Look at triple tree as well. Honda OEM is black while Champion EZSteer is billet aluminum. Mine has Champion EZsteer 6 degree kit I installed 2004.

IM001888.JPGIM001898.JPG

Attachments

• IM001887.JPG
    IM001887.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 277
I have a '96 GL1500A w/Motor Trike conversion. How do I tell if it is raked?...

You can look up above the front wheel, under the fairing at the lower triple tree from under the front of the trike and if it is black cast metal like this, it is the stock trees and not raked. If it is unpainted machined aluminum, it is aftermarket and raked.

stock lowe triple tree gl1500.jpeg

Motor Trike Rake

Because the Motor Trike conversion to a trike has a shorter wheelbase than many if the other conversions, they don't really push the rake kit. I suggest you call Motor Trike and ask them how much rake they recommend. If you get too much rake it will feel a little squirrely. We usually put a 6 degree rake on the bigger trikes, but I'm guessing they will recommend something smaller.

Because the Motor Trike conversion to a trike has a shorter wheelbase than many if the other conversions, they don't really push the rake kit. I suggest you call Motor Trike and ask them how much rake they recommend. If you get too much rake it will feel a little squirrely. We usually put a 6 degree rake on the bigger trikes, but I'm guessing they will recommend something smaller.

Our 1st Goldwing trike, a 1994 GL1500 Motor Trike classic, came to us without a rake kit. It lived it's early life on straight roads of the prairies in Minnesota, so no rake was deemed needed by the previous owner. We brought it down to the Ozarks and the need became immediately apparent. I tested 1500's with 6° and 4.5° rakes. Riding the 6° rake all my attention was needed unless actively cornering. To me it was very twitchy, any lapse of awareness and I was wandering all over the road. For me the 4.5° rake was just right.

As usual, YMMV

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png