Safety Issue (Brakes)

Reaction score
I own a 2016 Tri-Glide Ultra and really love the bike's operation until yesterday. On several occasions I have had to use my brakes to keep from impacting another object and they have performed with no issues. However yesterday I rode home during a light rain and did not drive through any standing water the issue arose when I tried to stop to make my turn home.

When I hit the lower brake pedal which is supposed to engage all three brakes nothing happened the bike kept traveling like when you ride through high water and had gotten the brakes wet. Lucky I attempted the turn in advance and used the front brake to slow down.

I have ridden in the rain before with no issues but this is the first time it has happened and now I am really worried about it. I only have 13,500 miles on the bike so I know the brake pads are not worn excessively and the bike performed flawlessly this morning riding in to work.

If someone has had this problem before I need your help!!! Please advise because I am clueless. Thanks

Im thinking the brakes did get wet.....Especially since after the rain their dry now' And working...:Shrug:.. I have an 11 Tri.. And i always use both brakes..Mine are inderpended of each other...And in the rain the rear brakes will take just a little longer to stop, If i don't use the front also.... Till they dry....All that said i would check the rear pads just on case.......

My Next Plan

I still do not see how the brakes could get that wet. My thoughts are why did it affect the rear brakes and not the front brake? Anyway when I haul it down for the next service I will have Harley Davidson look over the rear brakes.

I still do not see how the brakes could get that wet. My thoughts are why did it affect the rear brakes and not the front brake? Anyway when I haul it down for the next service I will have Harley Davidson look over the rear brakes.

The front rotors are larger than the rear and out in the air flow where they can shed water , And also they are drilled, The rear rotors are smaller not drilled, and being under the fenders hold water longer...And in my humble opinion, Substandard to begin with..

brakes

On my 2015 freewheeler the rear brake pedal has to be pushed very hard when there is even a little moisture on the road. However my front brakes work very well even in a heavy downpour. One time it was lightly raining, I came to a corner a little to quickly, I put on the rear brakes normally nothing happened I then kind of panicked, hit the rear and front real hard and all three wheels locked up now I know when its wet I have to apply quite a bit of pressure on the rear brake, then they work fine

Rhino,

Do you know of any brake upgrade kits for trikes that are better than the stock brakes?

Yes....EBC Brake pads...Vast improvement over the stock pads... ThumbUp I honestly believe if Trike's had to through the same regulations that Automobiles have to meet the rear brake systems on The Tri- Glide would be recalled, Including the Mickey Mouse park brake...

Does anyone know of any automobile that so many people have find after market brakes and how many people that also have to disconnect their park brake completely.:Shrug:

Your front brakes are 70% of your stopping power to begin with, always have been.

If you hit the brakes with no effect at all check you reservoir levels if your pumping your brake there is a reason, Air in the system and fluid level?

Have Harley check out your master cylinder, Also some brake systems have an in line check valve of sorts so not so much pressure is required.

The rear brakes on my champion kit are Volkswagen which work great on a Volkswagen but I'm not overly impressed because of the smaller size brake master cylinder/ reservoir system etc. It was meant to stop a two wheeler.

If it had a car sized master cylinder it would make a difference.

I always use both brakes when stopping, my system acts independently from each other. If the rear brakes get wet they loose effectiveness, It doesn't matter if you drive through standing water. The mist created by the tire is going to get them wet.

All part of the learning curve I guess?

Rhino,

Where can I order 11.5" rear rotors for my trike and I do appreciate your assistance.

I have a 2011 Tri, And last year i got my rear Rotors from revzilla.com 238$ ''Total'' delivered to my door... But at the time they only listed 2009 to 2013... So you'll have to check with them for your year...:Shrug:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png