No Rear Fenders-- Road Grime

Sep 13, 2010
Hawkinsville, GA
I am converting my bike into a trike using the Frankenstein 30" axle and I am thinking of not running fenders. Any advice on no fenders? How much dirt and road grime will be thrown up? I am not too worried about when it is raining as I would have on rain gear.:p

Well from experience the back of your jacket will get pretty dirty. Also some states may give u some flack. You don't plan on having a co-rider I hope.

Probably more "State Hassel" than anything.....The "Frankensteins" look soooo cooool stripped down to bare bones...:wtg:.....a bare bones Chopper Trike is in my distant future someday....I love "The Look".....:wtg:

In a lot of states any motorized vehicele that is going to be driven on public roads have to have fenders.
Some places enforce it some do not.
So I would be checking your state laws.
Here in Indiana several years ago we had a state inspection law.
At that time I was working part time at a place that sold honda motorcycles and I was certified to inspect them.
I do not know how many choppers and v.w. trikes I had to fail because of no fenders,so you need to check your state laws and see if they have a state inspection law.
May save you a lot of trouble down the road.
:confused::confused::confused:

Any advice on no fenders? How much dirt and road grime will be thrown up?

ALL OF IT:rolleyes:
Seriously, you better check your states vehicle laws. You may have to have fenders whether you want them or not!
Believe it actually has something to do with keeping debris from being "thrown" at following vehicles!

Yea as long as they don't leave GA.

not really. states tend to have reciprocity amongst each other and will honor the home states laws as long as you are just traveling. as mine is registered in texas; i've been through 7 different states (including Ga) and had absolutely no issues at all regarding lack of fenders.

yes, you will throw up some debris, but i haven't been through anything yet that would convince me to put them on.

grimm

not really. states tend to have reciprocity amongst each other and will honor the home states laws as long as you are just traveling. as mine is registered in texas; i've been through 7 different states (including Ga) and had absolutely no issues at all regarding lack of fenders.

yes, you will throw up some debris, but i haven't been through anything yet that would convince me to put them on.

grimm

Grimm you are correct as long as it's not deamed a safety issue by the officer that pulls you over. Most states try to keep their laws the same as everyone else, but there are a few differences. And like helmets they do not have to honor what is legal in your state when you are in theirs. Most officers will give you a break if your passing through and its not a big issue, but if you are going to be around awhile you will have to comply with that states laws. In Florida you can not have a license plate frame that covers up the state name decal or any of the numbers/letters. The move over law is another example. Not all states have that, but if you speed by an officer in Florida without slowing down or moving to another lane you will get a ticket, even if you are from another state.

Grimm - what tires & wheels you running if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to do a conversion on a Deuce and want something bigger than the 295/50s that Frankenstein offers in their package. Love the look of you machine - except the forks are about 3 feet too short <grin>

Grimm - what tires & wheels you running if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to do a conversion on a Deuce and want something bigger than the 295/50s that Frankenstein offers in their package. Love the look of you machine - except the forks are about 3 feet too short <grin>

i'm running Mickey Thompson 31X16.00R15LT Sportsman S/R tires out back. 13.9" footprint with 15x12 MT drag wheels. in front, i'm running a 160 Deuce rear wheel/tire.

grimm

I have been fenderless for 5 years now. (s-10 chevy rear end) no problems with debris or road grime for me or my "passenger". been from NC to Missouri and Florida with no hassles from any LEO's

I have found out that if it is registered in ga and you have no fenders, then you can go across the states and bo hassel from the law, i run no fenders on my newest vw trike, old school and plenty of skulls to keep the vampires away, grinn

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png