Rear Shock

manxnorton

Jun 25, 2017
New Chicago , In. USA
Has anyone tried to use a stand alone shock without the airbag setup? 2014 RT. I cannot get a decent ride on this machine no matter where the air pressure is (40 _65 psi ) It seems like the airbag only is doing the suspension. 24 K on the machine. Nothing but rough roads in Northern Indiana also..... It has always been a rough ride, maybe the shock ( whatever it doe's) has never been anygood..

Welcome Jack 'To Trike-Talk....:wave4: If you think your roads are rough, Just take a ride out my way in New Jersey, Some of our pot holes are deep enough to lose Jimmy Hoffa in....:laugh:....Wish i could help you i gave up my Spyder a few years ago, But I'm sure someone will come on with the help you need...Agin ...Welcome...:clapping:

rough roads

Welcome Jack 'To Trike-Talk....:wave4: If you think your roads are rough, Just take a ride out my way in New Jersey, Some of our pot holes are deep enough to lose Jimmy Hoffa in....:laugh:....Wish i could help you i gave up my Spyder a few years ago, But I'm sure someone will come on with the help you need...Agin ...Welcome...:clapping:

Yes the roads are bad. I came across a smooth secton and almost lost control. Soon they will all be toll roads and one will pay for the holes we drive in.......

what do you mean by decent ride? :confused:

What air pressure are your tires set at? :xzqxz:

Are you sure the compressor is working and not leaking air too?

Do not have a compressor, and I have no leaks, tried pressure from 45-70 and stil have a harsh ride. Tires are, 28 rear and 20 fronts. Thanks

Ok now I am confused. You have a 2014 RT Spyder with no air compressor that is mounted on the bike for the rear shock??

Do not have a compressor, and I have no leaks, tried pressure from 45-70 and stil have a harsh ride. Tires are, 28 rear and 20 fronts. Thanks

Your bike's compressor that airs up the shock is what he means. All Spyder RTs have them on board.

OK lets try this.:xzqxz:

You adjust your rear shock with a shock pump by hand and have disconnected the on board air compressor? :confused:

My Spyder is the very stock RT, Air is adjusted under the seat with Schrader valve. My spyder has no extras, it is a plain machine. The dealer I got it from says he cannot give away this model as it is so plain. It is a 2014 RT SE6........

Well I have a 2014 Rt and have a air compressor. I wasn't aware the Rt was made without one. I know the Rts has a few less chrome things but the compressor is still t there

My dealer told me to use 24 in rear and 18 in front, on my F3 Limited. Not what the book calls for, but his recommendation. Being an F3, it rides a little rougher than an RT anyway, I think. My wife's says her RT rides smooth at 28 rear, 15 front. Good luck and keep adjusting until you get what works for you!

since I found out a basis RT does not have a compressor. Like above stated adjust till you are comfortable.

But also does the rear raise up and down when you put in air. And how are you putting in air with what type of device??

shock

OK lets try this.:xzqxz:

You adjust your rear shock with a shock pump by hand and have disconnected the on board air compressor? :confused:

Never had a pump, plain jane RT's the air is done manually under the seat with the schrader valve. Still would like to know just what the shock doe's which in my case is not much......

Never had a pump, plain jane RT's the air is done manually under the seat with the schrader valve. Still would like to know just what the shock doe's which in my case is not much......

It's should stiffen up or soften the ride over bumpy retain when used with air. You want a better shock Ella has then but pricey. They set it up to your weight and how you ride

Shock

since I found out a basis RT does not have a compressor. Like above stated adjust till you are comfortable.

But also does the rear raise up and down when you put in air. And how are you putting in air with what type of device??

Yes, it goe's up and down when air added, use a compressor carefully to get desired psi. I can push down on the passenger handles about four inches, and that goes away when we get on. No matter where the psi is (45-65) it has always been that way so it is hard to tell if the shock is doing anything. Combined weight on the machine is less then #300 lbs..

There never was a compressor on this model RT SE6 it is a basic RT. Adjust air under the seat via Schrader valve.

I'm guessing you've tried an old fashioned bicycle pump then...you could definitely 'fine tune' it much easier that way.

I don't know...I'm at the end of a 10 hour shift, so I'm not thinking straight.:seestars:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png