VN Vets Coming Out

Thanks James, I will look them up. I keep a membership in the Legion but don't really stay too active, just visits once and awhile at a couple different ones. Dropped the VFW after a few years. I got tired of all the crap they sent out trying to get you to buy all the time.

It is amazing how something just jumps out at you and you have to read it all the way through. That is what happened with this thread.

I am NOT a VN vet but I was in the Air Force ‘73 – 79’. I will say that I am a VN Era Vet but I am very adamant about NOT using the term ‘VN Vet’. I feel that it would dishonor those that actually were in VN, “Boots on the Ground”, if I were to say that. I also have no respect for anyone that would or will falsely use that term to get attention.

I am pretty much a loner, apparently have been much of my life. Only had one or two friends in school, and none of those were what you would call “lifelong”. So when it comes to losing ‘friends’ in the war, I am just not sure. I guess I say that to get to this.

My sister and brother-in-law were visiting us and the VN Wall ‘traveling wall’ was in town for the weekend. I had never gone to ‘The’ wall for the reason that I mentioned above. But I have always wanted to visit. So we went. A motorcycle group was there as hosts and as we walked into the field, a silence was cast over the whole area. As I stepped up closer to the wall, I just broke down and cried, much as I am doing as I write this. I never expected it to hit me like that. I was totally awe-stricken by the sheer number of names on that wall. It seemed like it goes on forever.

Yeah, I volunteered my service to my country. I served my time. I would have gone had they sent me. But ‘I’ didn’t have to go the VN. I was one of the lucky ones. Or at least I have thought so. I have the utmost respect for those that served in VN. And THAT is why I will never refer to myself as a VN Vet. I DO NOT have the right to.

THANK YOU for your service. Thank you for your courage. Thank you for your honor. Thank you for your willingness to give your lives for others.

Running From Irma

We closed up our Cape Coral home early (Tuesday) and headed our in the RV. I-75 was still pretty busy but didn't have much trouble and all the gas stations were still open. Ended up in Cottondale Florida to sit this thing out.

Camper next to me had seen my VN sticker on the back of my RV. He asked me about it which started a conversation. Bobby B. (USMC) had not talked to anyone about his 3 years in country until the two of us stood in this campground and chatted it up. I found a campaign ribbon sticker later and gave to him which I'm sure he will put on the back of his RV.

We exchanged emails later and I'm sure will stay in touch. Him and his wife just began full time traveling in their RV and if Irma doesn't blow our home apart we will be selling and doing the same for a few years.

This friendship began because of that $2.00 VN sticker on the back of my motor home!

VN vets coming out

I served with the USMC in Vietnam in '68-69, don't talk about it, but just sit and watch as people give their opinions, they have changed a lot over the years.

The current disrespect for the symbols of freedom is discussing.

I have traveled to The Wall and seen the names of friends and relatives, I have been to Arlington, Tomb of the Unknown Solider and the changing of the guard.

I have seen and heard the Marine Corp Band and the Silent Drill Team

Thanks to all that have served.

I was fascinated by airplanes since childhood so when I got my draft papers in 1965 I enlisted in the USAF and got my choice to work on airborne Radar and Navigation systems. After tech school I was assigned KC-135 refueling tankers in Ohio. I volunteered for Vietnam with my buddy but was sent to Utapao Thailand where I worked on KC-135s and B-52Ds, I had a younger brother in Vietnam at the same time. I again volunteered and was sent to Okinawa for psych and survival training and put on flying status. I was ordered to fly often to Vietnam on Tankers to support all the Fighter jets assisting the "boots on the ground troops". I share most of the same medals, VCM VSM Vietnam medal of Gallantry w/Palm leaf, and ribbons for serving in a combat theater. I used to be a member of the AL but quit, it was just another name for a bar. Once I was told that I was not a Real Vietnam vet because I didn't put my boots on the ground in-country, my reply was I, while in Thailand, volunteered to fly every day needed in support of ground troops and my brother there, I went gladly and proudly, then added that also some of our bomber pilots, Thailand fighter pilots and Navy pilots (McCain) never had "boots-on-the-ground" until shot down and were killed or captured. Most guys I worked with just wanted to do their time stay safe and go home, they did not to go flying around in a war zone in a giant flying gas can, so yes I consider myself a Vietnam Veteran and will proudly display my VN decals!

I was fascinated by airplanes since childhood so when I got my draft papers in 1965 I enlisted in the USAF and got my choice to work on airborne Radar and Navigation systems. After tech school I was assigned KC-135 refueling tankers in Ohio. I volunteered for Vietnam with my buddy but was sent to Utapao Thailand where I worked on KC-135s and B-52Ds, I had a younger brother in Vietnam at the same time. I again volunteered and was sent to Okinawa for psych and survival training and put on flying status. I was ordered to fly often to Vietnam on Tankers to support all the Fighter jets assisting the "boots on the ground troops". I share most of the same medals, VCM VSM Vietnam medal of Gallantry w/Palm leaf, and ribbons for serving in a combat theater. I used to be a member of the AL but quit, it was just another name for a bar. Once I was told that I was not a Real Vietnam vet because I didn't put my boots on the ground in-country, my reply was I, while in Thailand, volunteered to fly every day needed in support of ground troops and my brother there, I went gladly and proudly, then added that also some of our bomber pilots, Thailand fighter pilots and Navy pilots (McCain) never had "boots-on-the-ground" until shot down and were killed or captured. Most guys I worked with just wanted to do their time stay safe and go home, they did not to go flying around in a war zone in a giant flying gas can, so yes I consider myself a Vietnam Veteran and will proudly display my VN decals!

You are indeed a Vietnam Veteran and thank you sir for your service!

Boots on the ground to me anyway, Also means over the ground, In a county near the ground, On a Ship near the ground...You are a Nam Vet....I was there and very grateful to those guys over my head, And off shore, Was an RTO, And it was nice to have that support ....Just a prick 25 call away...

[Nam 66]

+1 on the support Rhino2.

Now that it has been brought up, I remember the first time I witnessed F4's. We (buds) heard on the air that a air strike was coming in. We knew where it was going to strike but didn't know which way they were coming in from. Well they (2) came in from behind us very low. Scared the chit out of us. Very silent in front of a jet but not behind.

Watched another air strike with 2 phantoms an a spotter bronco. Very precise.

Also watched F4's take off side by side at Da Nang air base.

Also saw Puff the magic dragon fire air strike at night. Awesome!! Sure glad we owned the air!!

Humped the prick 25 when on patrol.

Thank's for the memory's and welcome home Rhino2.

+1 on the support Rhino2.

Now that it has been brought up, I remember the first time I witnessed F4's. We (buds) heard on the air that a air strike was coming in. We knew where it was going to strike but didn't know which way they were coming in from. Well they (2) came in from behind us very low. Scared the chit out of us. Very silent in front of a jet but not behind.

Watched another air strike with 2 phantoms an a spotter bronco. Very precise.

Also watched F4's take off side by side at Da Nang air base.

Also saw Puff the magic dragon fire air strike at night. Awesome!! Sure glad we owned the air!!

Humped the prick 25 when on patrol.

Thank's for the memory's and welcome home Rhino2.

Thanks back to you...:wave4:Twice we had B 52's drop their load at night in front and made deep water holes...We dug in and didn't hear a thing till the whole world started shaking..

And the napalm runs you didn't hear the jets [I think they were F105's ?] till they did the loop and were going back...

Display proudly. A lot of Vietnam veterans are fast to pass judgement we all had a job and it took all of us to do the mission. I say WELCOME HOME BROTHER. SALUTE

In July 1969 I was entering a building on base when a fully loaded and fueled B-52, 124 500lb bombs exploded off the end of the runway on takeoff. Windows blew out, concrete block walls cracked and doors split and I have severe hearing loss especially in my right ear, it was like a major earth quake with lots of carnage and damage all around. I can't describe the loudness! I still have bomb shrapnel from the cleanup. You can read about it here http://users.acninc.net/padipaul/pnl016_10_06/ROF.htm

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png