Knock Sensor Removal

Sunman

900+ Posts
Apr 6, 2011
Bellville, Texas, USA
I have a friend with a 2001 GL1800. He needs to remove the knock sensors but he can not get the wire disconnected from either sensor. He says he has tried to pull it loose, used pliers and tried to pry it off with a screwdriver but he is afraid to get too aggressive with it as he is afraid he will break the wire connector or the sensor. Is there a trick to getting the wire disconnected from the sensor? He has tried both the left and right bank sensors but can not get either one disconnected.

Thanks for any help.

Sunman

I have a friend with a 2001 GL1800. He needs to remove the knock sensors but he can not get the wire disconnected from either sensor. He says he has tried to pull it loose, used pliers and tried to pry it off with a screwdriver but he is afraid to get too aggressive with it as he is afraid he will break the wire connector or the sensor. Is there a trick to getting the wire disconnected from the sensor? He has tried both the left and right bank sensors but can not get either one disconnected.

Thanks for any help.

Sunman

Howdy Danny... I'd bet there is a release on those connectors somewhere. Sort of like the one that connects the ignition switch dash part. That sucker has caused more grief then the law allows!! A dental mirror or something similar may be handy to have in this situation... :xszpv: :xszpv:

You have to remove parts to get to the 1p connector

It's usually a tab to push down on and pull off. The circled piece is holding it in place and then once tab is lifted on the connector pull down, odds are there is a seal inside to keep water out. Red arrow point to seal.

Need a service manual? There's one here for the GL1800: https://www.manualslib.com

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 156
  • a3f99be7be4e3a425fa193af9e9cf4bc.jpg
    a3f99be7be4e3a425fa193af9e9cf4bc.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 126
  • P3070165.jpg
    P3070165.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 125
Howdy Danny... I'd bet there is a release on those connectors somewhere. Sort of like the one that connects the ignition switch dash part. That sucker has caused more grief then the law allows!! A dental mirror or something similar may be handy to have in this situation... :xszpv: :xszpv:

Hi Jerry. He is having fits with it. I will pass along the suggestion for the dental mirror, that might work.

Hope to see you in October in Kerrville. We are signed up and looking forward to it since we missed last year but my mother is now 95 and not doing well so we are day to day on any plans.

Sunman

You have to remove parts to get to the 1p connector

It's usually a tab to push down on and pull off. The circled piece is holding it in place and then once tab is lifted on the connector pull down, odds are there is a seal inside to keep water out. Red arrow point to seal.

Need a service manual? There's one here for the GL1800: https://www.manualslib.com

Thanks Trike Lady! I will send this info to him. I don't know for sure if he has a manual or not. He has removed the tupperware to get to the sensor.

Sunman

Tell him not to pull on the wire. It is a shielded wire. As other have said, he must release the lock point on the connector, and then pull the connector down.

Tricks: to loosen contamination between the connector and the sensor, try pushing up on the connector, and also spray it with BrakeClean (red can). If the lock point is pushed, after spraying it with BrakeClean, it should come off easily.

The crew has U covered here good

I would add to lube the terminals and the locking tabs and plastic shoulders in Trike ladys pics JMO

shopping
This pic shows another view of a weather pak connector found on many vehicles up to and including ur trike, I hope this helps also

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png