2007 Honda Goldwing Trike (CSC)

Mairzy

Jul 24, 2017
Richland Center, WI, USA
We purchased our Goldwing Trike one month ago and both of us have had hip pain and pelvic pain. My husband is 5'11 and I am 5'4. Both 66yrs old. My husbands inseam is 32".

We had no clue that the Honda Goldwing was made for the shorter bike rider. I guess you could say we didn't do our homework.

Have any of you had this problem. Our trike is beautiful and we hate to give it up but all we see are $$$$$ signs in trying to make changes and no guarantee.

Would love to hear if any of you have come up with a resolve to this issue.

Welcome to Trike-Talk....Mary....

I can't help with your problems ' But i'm sure someone on this Forum will have answers for you....

Again Welcome to The Forum...:wave4:

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

I too have a 32" inseam. So I can relate.

First a couple of questions.

1-are the foot pegs (riders) stock? There are some after market boards and pegs that actually move the pegs back for "shorter" riders. When I bought my 08, it had some offsets and I couldn't ride it. Talked my dealer into putting the stock footpads off my 01 onto the 08.

2-Have you ridden a Gold Wing before the trike? Is the seat still stock? The Gold Wing seat is wide and takes a little getting used to. Also, some of the after market seats are even wider.

3-Do you have highway pegs? A relatively inexpensive set of highway pegs allows you to stretch out some and will a leave the hip cramping.

4-For the passenger. Are your floorboards stock? Have they been raised? The Gold Wing is one of the most customized bikes ever made. Could be someone has made it "fit them", and they where short.

Before you spend big $$$, ride it for awhile and see if you don't "adjust" to it.

I don't know if it's true, but I've been told the GL1800 was designed for a 6'0" rider and a 5'6" passenger. I am 6'0" and as stated, 32" inseam. I am very comfortable on stock 1800's, that's why I would suspect some mod that is making it uncomfortable.

You might try messing with your tire pressure and preload settings. Over pressure in the tires can make it rough to ride too, and make for some hip and b$tt discomfort. I am running 35# front and 23# rear. I keep the preload set at 4 single up and 8 on the rare occasion I have a passenger.

Maybe post some pics that show the pegs, boards, seat, etc. Might make it easier to help you out.

Hope some of this helps.

Enjoy the new ride.

I have a 32 inseam but my wife was 5 foot tall. It might be as simple as a couple of seat pads for the both of you and a set of risers for your legs and handlebar risers for your husbands arms to change his shoulder/back-hip pressure. My wife had risers on her floorboards to get her legs up because her bottom was taking all of the pressure like a badly adjusted saddle with none on her feet and legs. We both got a couple of seat pads just because these old bottoms werent meant to sit all day. Plus on the wing you need to fix the lower back pad behind you so you sit up straighter and have better support while sitting. Most aftermarket seat companies do this to the lower passenger pad and it makes a big difference.

Mairzy, first & foremost, WELCOME to trike talk.

Your husbands & my dimensions are near the same. I also have arthritic hips (near replacement time) What I found helped me, was a set of peg lowering brackets. http://wingstuff.com/products/2874-footpeg-lowering-bracket?from_search=1 These brackets also require the chrome mounts for the trike. Much stronger than the cast aluminum OEM.

But these will not work if you have "ground effects" on your ride. When I first got my '07, it had MT's ground effects. I simply removed the foot pegs entirely, and rested my feet on the "floor". That worked well, takes a little getting used to the brake & shifter position. I've since removed my ground effects for other reasons and use the lowering brackets & mounts with stock pegs. Also hi-way pegs for extended rides. I find that many times just elevating one foot relieves the back pressure, where two feet up did not.

Good luck in your endevours. We got ours comfortable enough for us, done about 30k miles this year, so far.

33" inseam with a 2007 GL1800 CSC conversion here. I removed the driver footpegs and just rest my feet on the floorboards. I can shift with relative ease. When foot braking, I just have to lift my right foot up. Works very well for me. I also went Kuryakyn footpegs with the 4-1/2" arms. I can either rest my feet on them or if I want to stretch out, I can rest the back of my shoe on them instead. Between the driver peg removal and the Kuryakyn pegs, I have a large range of positions to choose from...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png