Switched to a Spyder

amhc59

Jun 18, 2014
Oak Harbor, Wa., USA
Hi! Dan Here. Traded my 950 Vstar with a Voyager conversion for a 2011 Spyder RT. Voyager was too hard to steer for an old man like me and rode too rough. Liking my Spyder and the ride is great - still getting used to the handling - rode 2 wheels for over 50 years so it's a big change. Did build 3 VW trikes back in the 70's but didn't handle like the Spyder does. Just takes time.

Yes it will take a little time. I came to my Spyder after 50 years on 2 wheels and 4 years on a Goldwing Trike.

Relax your grip and steering will be easier.

Your Spyder VTwin is not a Harley or a Vstar,let it rev don't lug it. I usually don't shift until around 5500. I never go to 5ht gear unless out on the freeway,on back roads and and around I am usually in 3rd or 4th.

Your bike has power steering so don't muscle it and relax your grip,things will get easier.

Ride Ride Ride.

Welcome to the world of the Spyder.

Welcome to Trike Talk from eastern Kentucky!

Bought a 2016 Spyder Ltd for my wife about 3 months ago. She loves it! She finds any excuse to ride it. She's even taken to the grocery store to pick up a few items, even though it's only a mile away. :laugh:

Yes it will take a little time. I came to my Spyder after 50 years on 2 wheels and 4 years on a Goldwing Trike.

Relax your grip and steering will be easier.

Your Spyder VTwin is not a Harley or a Vstar,let it rev don't lug it. I usually don't shift until around 5500. I never go to 5ht gear unless out on the freeway,on back roads and and around I am usually in 3rd or 4th.

Your bike has power steering so don't muscle it and relax your grip,things will get easier.

Ride Ride Ride.

Welcome to the world of the Spyder.

That right there will be the hardest thing to conquer. It just isn't a natural grip on handlebars. But doing so will stop the twitching you introduce by constantly trying to correct every little bump in the road. But man it's hard to LET GO.

That right there will be the hardest thing to conquer. It just isn't a natural grip on handlebars. But doing so will stop the twitching you introduce by constantly trying to correct every little bump in the road. But man it's hard to LET GO.

One of the best $15 investments were the Spyderpop foam grips that I installed over the skinny stock grips on my F3S. It instantly allowed me to more lightly grip the handlebars and thus not get the wandering induced by too tight a grip on the bars.

2012 Spyder RT SE5

I just bought a 2012 RT SE5 after riding 2 wheels for almost 40 years. I was injured in Iraq and am no longer able to safely ride on two wheels do to Balance issues. So far the Spyder has been great. Easy to ride with the hand controls. Easy to maneuver , and a true reverse gear (Not some slow after market snail pace reverse) makes it easy to back it out of or into my garage. The only thing I really miss is being able to stretch my legs out in front of me. I think I saw somewhere that they make Highway pegs for the spyder. If anyone else has seen these or tried them let me know how they worked out.

I stretch out with my hwy pegs that I modified a bit from the place that sells them

Rivco has hwy mounts too.

If you have a passenger, install armrests. It will make the passenger feel more secure. Had a 2011 RTSE. Really liked the trike. Beginning to have a few issues, so traded it in for a Prowler (no power steering on that!).

I just bought a 2012 RT SE5 after riding 2 wheels for almost 40 years. I was injured in Iraq and am no longer able to safely ride on two wheels do to Balance issues. So far the Spyder has been great. Easy to ride with the hand controls. Easy to maneuver , and a true reverse gear (Not some slow after market snail pace reverse) makes it easy to back it out of or into my garage. The only thing I really miss is being able to stretch my legs out in front of me. I think I saw somewhere that they make Highway pegs for the spyder. If anyone else has seen these or tried them let me know how they worked out.

Our my wife's Spyder RT we put floorboards that allowed her to stretch out. The product is/was called Seal Boards. I don't know if they are still being made but hopefully they are. We traded her 12 for a 16 which uses a totally different set up.

This is what I have on my Spyder :Coffee:

I can move it forward of backwards depending on your leg length and comfort levels.

I modified it a bit from the original setup I bought from Lamonster.

Attachments

• HWy Peg.jpg
    HWy Peg.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 253
Wow, Since getting a steroid shot in my Piriformis muscle a few weeks ago, my 2015 F3S is significantly more comfortable to ride with floorboards and an upgraded seat with air bladder added. I went on a 350 mile ride today and it was just a delight to ride. I love my 2017 Harley Tri Glide Ultra but I also really love the responsiveness and power of the 2015 F3S. In a couple of week, I will be getting a hip replacement and hopefully, in about 6-8 weeks time, I will be out on both machines enjoying having a hip that does not constantly ache and having a ball with my two trikes!

Well good luck on your surgery. Did you see someone has done some update to the ECU and made the Spyders even happier now. Been all over SL as of late.

Well good luck on your surgery. Did you see someone has done some update to the ECU and made the Spyders even happier now. Been all over SL as of late.

Have not been following the Spyder forums too closely as of late. Please direct me to where the ECU update is being discussed. Also thanks for the kind words about my upcoming surgery. My "spine" has stiffened such that I am really ready to get it over with:clapping:, rehab and get more fully back into life from an athletic standpoint.

Have not been following the Spyder forums too closely as of late. Please direct me to where the ECU update is being discussed. Also thanks for the kind words about my upcoming surgery. My "spine" has stiffened such that I am really ready to get it over with:clapping:, rehab and get more fully back into life from an athletic standpoint.

Go to the search area and Type Monster on SL. Look for ECU flash or similar. The few that have done the flash have been raving about it so far.

Speedy recovery to you !

Go to the search area and Type Monster on SL. Look for ECU flash or similar. The few that have done the flash have been raving about it so far.

Speedy recovery to you !

Wow, I looked at the two competing ECU flash programs. I really like the Monster FI flash. Too bad that I bought an extended warranty. The thing about Can-Am's is that engine/transmission gremlins can be really expensive to fix and messing with the ECU can get a warranty voided. That is why I have my Brunton Stalker with a supercharged V6 engine in a 1500 pound package that allows me to have all of the fun one could ever want (it gobbles up Vets except the new Z06 for breakfast especially in the twisties).

Attachments

• Stalker.jpg
    Stalker.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 201
Wow, I looked at the two competing ECU flash programs. I really like the Monster FI flash. Too bad that I bought an extended warranty. The thing about Can-Am's is that engine/transmission gremlins can be really expensive to fix and messing with the ECU can get a warranty voided. That is why I have my Brunton Stalker with a supercharged V6 engine in a 1500 pound package that allows me to have all of the fun one could ever want (it gobbles up Vets except the new Z06 for breakfast especially in the twisties).

Yeah I was waiting to see if anyone has issues after they retuned the ECU before I would consider that mod.

That is sure one sharp Stalker :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png