Fork Seal interval??

KYBubblehead

Aug 1, 2017
Covington, KY, US
I'm new to trikes; should I be thinking about doing my sliders/fork seals on a more frequent basis?

I have a rake kit with my Motor Trike conversion....

On my '03 (2 wheeler) , I did it at 60K miles.... I have 23K on the trike now.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, Honda gives no suggestions on periodic fork maintenance other then an external inspection. Basically if a seal begins to leak, then repair is needed. However, some will overhaul their forks every 25k, while other will only change their fork fluid at that interval. The angle of rake kits does speed up slider/bushing wear. Probably around 80-100k you will see excessive wear in the slider bore.

If you are looking for PM suggestions, here is what you might consider. Replace the tapered steering head bearings every 25k, and do a fork OH every 40k.

Had a MM1 that worked for me back in the mid-late 80's that was on the Michigan when they blew up the clutch/Red. gears. His name was MM1 Moreau

On my '07 MT conversion, I had the forks rebuilt at around 48000 miles. The reason, I could notice more sagging when we loaded, especially 2-up. I did have a small seal leak at around 30k miles, but the "film" cleaning of the seal stopped it.

The mechanic allowed me to see the bushings, which showed surprisingly little wear, he didn't even recommend replacing them. So, a good cleaning, new springs, synthetic fork oil & new seals, it was ready to go.

I could immediately tell a difference in stance & ride. Especially the first night ride. I had to lower the headlight setting by two clicks on the knob.

I'm new to trikes; should I be thinking about doing my sliders/fork seals on a more frequent basis?

I have a rake kit with my Motor Trike conversion....

On my '03 (2 wheeler) , I did it at 60K miles.... I have 23K on the trike now.

Thanks!

I have the Traxxion Ak-20 cartridges and Traxxions springs on my Roadsmith trike with 6 degree rake. Traxxion recommends servicing at 25,000 miles. We are heavy and live/ride in the Arkansas twisties so my slider bushing are usually showing wear signs and are changed every time.

I would not think tapered bearings or any head bearings that need replaced every 25K would be ones to buy!!!!!!!!!!:Shrug:

Correct ... however, sometimes it comes down to not having much to choose from. Until recently, their's only been one other brand out there, Pyramid. However, in the past their availability has been iffy, and recently I've read where some have found problems with them. Pyramids are also pricy. The upside is their steel is made in Japan, and the ALL-Balls are a classic example of "Made in China" with Chinese steel.

However, it now looks like there is a 3rd option. About 2 weeks about, I received a catalog that listed GL1800 steering head bearings that are made in Japan. When I sell through the ALL-Balls I have in stock, I will order in a set, try them, and report back on my experience.

However, it now looks like there is a 3rd option. About 2 weeks about, I received a catalog that listed GL1800 steering head bearings that are made in Japan. When I sell through the ALL-Balls I have in stock, I will order in a set, try them, and report back on my experience.

Please let us know what your experiences are....

Greg- would the 'Gold Valve Emulator Fork Kit' on WingStuff.com be a help? Is it worth the $$?

Thanks!

Primarily because Traxxion makes such great suspension products for GL1800, I've never installed other suspensions parts. I guess I did have Progressive front springs in my bike for a short time, but removed them almost immediately because of a "pogo" bounce. I've installed many Traxxion front springs in forks and the owners have always been happy with those. A few have had AK-20s installed and those customs liked them too.

I should also say that I did install a rear Progressive spring on a 2-whl'd Wing for a customer, and was not impressed with that ride either. However, the customer is happy with it, but probably because he's not able to feel what I do when I ride it.

I have the Traxxion Ak-20 cartridges and Traxxions springs on my Roadsmith trike with 6 degree rake. Traxxion recommends servicing at 25,000 miles. We are heavy and live/ride in the Arkansas twisties so my slider bushing are usually showing wear signs and are changed every time.

I put Traxxion on my 2012 and have regretted it. Rides like a truck. Already had to replace rear front wheel covers. As far as seals, clean the forks every time you ride and it will save lots of seals issues

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png