What kind of oil?

Aug 4, 2017
Maysville
According to the paperwork I've got a 2009, 1600cc VW motor on my trike. I have no idea what kind of oil to use but was told it had to have zinc in it??. What about additives? Synthetic oil? etc. Also, it doesn't have a spin on filter but I was told I could get a kit to convert it. Any ideas where? I'm very new to this VW stuff.

According to the paperwork I've got a 2009, 1600cc VW motor on my trike. I have no idea what kind of oil to use but was told it had to have zinc in it??. What about additives? Synthetic oil? etc. Also, it doesn't have a spin on filter but I was told I could get a kit to convert it. Any ideas where? I'm very new to this VW stuff.

I used straight 30 Weight , But that was with a 65 dune buggy, And a 71 and 73 bug...:Shrug:

The problem with oils is that they have changed over the years. Epa rules and the needs of modern cars being much different than our old motors.

You really need an oil formulated for a flat tappet mechanical solid lifter cam.

That means zddp content.

Zddp levels have been restricted low by epa.

So anything correct for our motors is technically illegal to use on the street.

There are specialty high dollar oils for older engines that you can order.

The most available over the counter retail oil is Valvoline VR1 Racing.

Stay as close to 30 weight as you can.

If you have an old loose motor use a little thicker oil until you have sufficient pressure.

Recommended oil

I use Quantum Platinum 5/40 fully synthetic in my 1600 air cooled. When I bought it the previous owner had used some type of oil that emulsified in the oil filler cap area. Since using Quantum I've had no problem at all. The Quantum was recommended by a place that works on aircooled VW's all the time.

After a lot of googling I ended up with Valvoline VR1 20W-50 racing oil which has the maximum amount of zinc already in it. I ordered some Shaeffer oil that was recommended and I bought a bottle of zinc additive but I think I'm good for now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png