2018 GL1800 GoldWing - how to decipher the BS

GoldWingrGreg

<b>JustWings.com</>
May 12, 2016
Zephyrhills, FL, USA
There is lots of speculation out there on our next Wing, the 2018 GL1800 Goldwing. Some of us are new to GoldWings, while other have forgotten what makes a GoldWing different from all other motorcycles. Yes ... we all know it has an water cooled, opposed, engine, and it's shaft drive, and it's now made for long distance touring. But it more then that.

Because Honda has various divisions ... cars, powersports, jets ... much of the technology of one gets cross engineered into the other. For example ... remember Honda's tv commercial on the Del Sol ... where the guy is getting blasted by the wind as he's trying to get into his Del Sol that has its top down ??? He gets in and the affects on him with the wind blowing is gone ... no buffeting !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6oqZCh8Fck

No buffeting came from the GL1500. Honda designed the front cowl, and windscreen after 2 years of research and development in a wind tunnel. What we ended up with was no buffeting for the rider. Much of it due to the shape of the cowl, windscreen, and those air-holes in the rubber fillers between the mirrors and the cowl ... remember those air-holes. That technology spilled into the Del-Sol.

The GL1800 was the first motor vehicle to have an MP3 plug. Today, we take that all for granted and want bluetooth. But the truth still remains, that the GL1800 started that trend. The Honda Element was the 2nd vehicle to have an MP3 plug.

Or how about the adjustable seat that come on a GL1100. The adjustable seat distinguish a GW as a long distance touring m/c.

Such developments are what makes GoldWing stand out. So for anyone passing on rumors and writing articles about the 6th generation, until I start reading inventions that are not currently being used, it is all BS !!!

Can anyone think of others i.e. ???

- one key to open all compartments

- a remote that unlocked them all

- a radio

- fuel injection

- adjustable headlamps

- hardshell storage

- OEM windscreen

- an onboard compressed to pump up a tire

You have to look at one or shall I say two models of the GL1200 that were advanced for their time and that would be the 1985 GL1200 Limited and the 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi. These two Wings were the future of where the GL1500 may have gone if CFI was successful. Instead the GL1500 received 2 carbs and early 1500 had both the ECM and carb control unit. Fuel Injection on a Wing has been done, an on board trip computer was already on these two bikes, cruise control, auto-leveling suspension and digital display. These were two expensive bikes back then, I believe new they were $10,000.00.

My personal experience started with new 1989 GL1500. I remember my first ride ... it was a "jaw dropping" experience. The same was true when riding a GL1800 for the first time.

For me, I'd expect my first ride on Gen 6 to be a "jaw dropper" once again. And to come with features I've wanted for a long time. I want active headlamps that do not point in the trees when I layover in a turn. Since many of us ride in groups, I want a linked cruise control. Meaning that 6 Wings can "link" into the lead bike's cruise control, set the cruise control, and as a group, the Wings speed up and decrease in speed together. Weather radar is now out, but I wanted that back in 2004. A passenger rear airbag would be nice. Radio controls for the passenger ... WTF ... let my GF look for stations !!! A suspension system with riding style choices ... engine mode choices for a spirited rider. Possibly things that electrically fold in like mirrors. Of coarse the same stuff everyone else wants ... a reliable transmission, better suspension, blue-tooth, and a better sound system.

When I read about stuff like that, it's no longer speculation.

You have to look at one or shall I say two models of the GL1200 that were advanced for their time and that would be the 1985 GL1200 Limited and the 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi. These two Wings were the future of where the GL1500 may have gone if CFI was successful. Instead the GL1500 received 2 carbs and early 1500 had both the ECM and carb control unit. Fuel Injection on a Wing has been done, an on board trip computer was already on these two bikes, cruise control, auto-leveling suspension and digital display. These were two expensive bikes back then, I believe new they were $10,000.00.

I remember both of them. When wanting to buy a 1988 Wing, I could not believe it did not have FI, a CD player, and, because of reverse, back-up lights. I used those reasons to not buy one. Plus, to me they were so ugly ... and all that plastic. Looking back, I really did't buy one because the price of a gen 4 had jumped to $12,000.

Later I read this in Honda's GoldWing history book. The reason gen 4 didn't have FI was because Honda felt that the public was not yet willing to trust it, and they didn't feel comfortable with their dealer network to repair it.

They were having issues with techs trained for the 1200s, imagine the disaster it would have been on the 1500. The Limited and SEi were the future for the Goldwing and while it may not have become part of the 1500 it would appear some time down the road on a new Wing and as technology got better it found its way to the new 1800. Electronics from Honda's automobile division found its way into the new 1800. Somewhere in the test halls of Honda is a GL1500 with a full EFI set up, just like the airbag video I had posted some time ago that showed the system tested on a 1500. Things are being tested by Honda and most likely on present models.

It's just like the "Unicorn" GL1000s that were preproduction models, they have unique parts that will not interchange with the 1975. They carry the 12/1974 on their VIN tag and there are/were 48 total made and they still may be out there. Someone may have one or know someone who does.

Greg, you live in Florida you may want a windshield wiper like the Japanese spec Wings.

From what I've read elsewhere, to me it is BS. Its second hand information that changes constantly, relayed by someone who supposedly saw and rode the new Wing and tells it to someone else to blab on the Internet. Be it a unicorn or a ufo someone will try to make a story out of it, stir up the masses. Instead of being the reporter of second hand info, let the person who actually saw and rode the bike get a screen name and talk about it. With all the nonsense being second hand reported I'm amazed they didn't say the new Wing glows in the dark.

Honda will present the new Wing when they are ready. All we can do is wait.

No new GoldWing for me again

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/The-motorcycle-becoming-thing-of-the-past

TOKYO -- Many Japanese motorcycle models are being retired as the industry's big names adjust to tighter safety and environmental regulations as well shrinking popularity.

Japan's motorcycle market is now 11% of what it was at its peak, with annual sales totaling 370,000 units.

Starting in September, makers will be required to halve the emissions of existing models with engine displacements of over 50cc.

The requirement will bring the domestic environmental regulations in line with the EU's old Euro 4 standards. The government is mulling further tightening the regulations in 2020 or later.

Further adding to manufacturers' costs, the government in 2018 plans to require motorcycles to have anti-lock brakes.

Honda Motor, the top maker, with a market share of over 40%, has made 24 of its 74 models compatible with the incoming environmental and safety requirements. Of the remaining models, the Super Cub small bike and the 1800cc Goldwing are being killed off for now; they are to be reintroduced after they can be made regulation-compliant.

Maybe the Chinese are onto something. They might be producing something that looks like a GL1800, only its electric.

Attachments

• honda-goldwing-copycat-jiangsu-xinri-electric-bike.jpg
    honda-goldwing-copycat-jiangsu-xinri-electric-bike.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 80231.jpg
    80231.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 315
What the heck is happening here. The GW was the last touring bike in Honda's lineup. The ST1300 & CTX1300 were both discontinued in 2014?

All that will leave us with is the underpowered V-twinkies...

And it doesn't appear that the other manufacturers faired any better.

Beemer, anyone?

I believe Craig Vetter preempted Honda by several years, as far as fairings went, w/his Windjammer fairing in which a radio could be mounted! Met him, where I worked at the time, as he was talking to us about designing new park/signal lamps to be incorporated into his fairing.

Thanks Greg. Lets hope those improvements come true. It hardly seems that Honda would go to all the trouble to re-tool, get new contracts for electronics, and end production with one model year.

Let's hope not.

I heard a strange rumor about the Wing coming back to the states at the former Ohio facility where GLs were once built in Ohio. That would mean no 2018, but a 2019.

I wait for a newsletter to come to my email from Honda telling me a new Wing has arrived.

I sent emails to the top brass at Honda in California about the scuttlebutt being created by one person on another forum about a new Wing that a number of people got to view and test ride and also received money. Second hand or made up info to draw people to a dying forum and then post it on their facebook page.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png