Engine Temperature Sensor on M8 Engine

Mar 1, 2016
Marietta, GA USA
My Power Vision ET reading on my 2017 TG is considerably higher than it was on my 2016 Freewheeler...about 35 degrees. The FW was equipped with Wards fans and the TG has Mighty Mites. (This is not a comment about the fans.) I'm wondering if the ET sensor is located differently on the M8 vs the 103 and thereby giving a different reading. Thank you for your comments.

Temperature Readings

And that probably would account for Rolf's [sjambok] higher readings.....

Thank you Bob and Kevin. My previous ET readings on 103 engines in a 2015 RK and a 2016 FW were in the area of 235-245 and I was pleased with them. On my 2017 TG the ET gets up to around 280 and that bothered me. However, your explanations make the temperature difference understandable and acceptable (to me). I suspect that my not using my IR thermometer may give rise to questions but I think that the ET reading on a PV is more consistent than a reading obtained from a hand held device...in the hands of an amateur.

On another note...I thought that my coolant fans had failed. They never came on when my Mighty Mites were operating. The coolant fans only operate briefly when the bike is turned off and/or the MMs are not operating.

On the TC's the temp sensor is on the left rear of the front cylinder head.

On the M8's it is on the front right of the rear cylinder head.

Kevin

A question for Kevin.

My PowerVision has an engine temp. field and a cyl. head temp. field. If the ET sensor is on the left of the front cyl. head, where is the cyl. head temp sensor located? 2010 Triglide

With my Power Vision I have seem temps as high as 306, But I aint scared

The M8 cools down faster than the T C, so I am playin it hard Plus if it BLOWS, I have a 7 year warranty

A question for Kevin.

My PowerVision has an engine temp. field and a cyl. head temp. field. If the ET sensor is on the left of the front cyl. head, where is the cyl. head temp sensor located? 2010 Triglide

There is no cyl. head temp sensor.

The Head Temperature # is an algorithm derived number.

This algorithm is based partially on the ET sensor, partially on the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor, partially on the MAP (manifold air pressure) and some other factors which HD-Delphi uses.

ET as displayed on the PV is a direct readout of the sensor located on the back left of the front cylinder head. This is a hard number.

What is confusing is that it is reading the cylinder head temperature, but it is called ET (engine temperature). The reading that is call a head temperature is NOT the head temperature, but an algorithm based number.

Why are these numbers important?

Besides letting you know how your engine is doing temperature wise, they are BOTH used Differently to adjust your tune...both the fuel and the spark.

The ET is used for most of the lookup tables including the fuel tables and multipliers.

The Head Temperature is used primarily for spark temp correction.

Final couple of comments-

Once the engine is warmed up, the HT will almost always be substantially higher than the ET.

Kevin

There is no cyl. head temp sensor.

The Head Temperature # is an algorithm derived number.

This algorithm is based partially on the ET sensor, partially on the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor, partially on the MAP (manifold air pressure) and some other factors which HD-Delphi uses.

ET as displayed on the PV is a direct readout of the sensor located on the back left of the front cylinder head. This is a hard number.

What is confusing is that it is reading the cylinder head temperature, but it is called ET (engine temperature). The reading that is call a head temperature is NOT the head temperature, but an algorithm based number.

Why are these numbers important?

Besides letting you know how your engine is doing temperature wise, they are BOTH used Differently to adjust your tune...both the fuel and the spark.

The ET is used for most of the lookup tables including the fuel tables and multipliers.

The Head Temperature is used primarily for spark temp correction.

Final couple of comments-

Once the engine is warmed up, the HT will almost always be substantially higher than the ET.

Kevin

Thanks for helping me wrap my head (no pun intended) around that. My ET runs around 220-225 in the Summer. The HT reads 100 above that number + _ 10. I was thinking the PowerVision Autotune wasn't working right with those HT readings in the 320-330 range. I feel MUCH better now.

Still need to get the discrete breather and tank lift.

[FONT=&quot]Jack,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your interest and support of our products.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The engine temp that can be displayed on the Power Vision screen is read directly from whichever temperature sensor the ECM looks at. It is NOT an exhaust temp. Depending on where you’re located, those temps are not all that uncommon for a big twin in the summer. Out here in the deserts of Las Vegas, when our ambient temperature is 110+, it is not uncommon for me to see temps as high as 350 or so in stop and go traffic. I checked with one of our HD experts, who told me to only be concerned if the temp gets to 380… At which time, they recommended to pull over, shut the bike off and let it cool down.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us... We're open Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific time.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Scott Webster[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Technical/Sales[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Training Coordinator[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dynojet Research, Inc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2191 Mendenhall Dr., #105[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]North Las Vegas, NV 89081[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]phone: 800-992-4993[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]fax: 702-399-14 Look at this DIRECT from PV Tech Kevin @ DK Customs is RIGHT[/FONT]

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png