Shift banging?

520fd

550+ Posts
Reaction score
The ad's about the smooth shifting of the 2017 Tri-Glide to me is not correct. Granted I only have 1250 miles on the trike. It's noisy as hell. Like it slam's in gear. I talk to a friend that has a 2017 Tri-Glide. He said it was noisy when he first got his, but he only has just over 1000 miles on his trike. Wednesday I go in for my 1000 mile service. Get some Syn 3 put in it. I also like the Bel-Ray transmission saver put in it. Hopefully it will quite down and get smoother shifting.

The ad's about the smooth shifting of the 2017 Tri-Glide to me is not correct. Granted I only have 1250 miles on the trike. It's noisy as hell. Like it slam's in gear. I talk to a friend that has a 2017 Tri-Glide. He said it was noisy when he first got his, but he only has just over 1000 miles on his trike. Wednesday I go in for my 1000 mile service. Get some Syn 3 put in it. I also like the Bel-Ray transmission saver put in it. Hopefully it will quite down and get smoother shifting.

Are you talking about when you go from neutral to first, Or through all gears.....:Shrug:

Bel Ray is a good choice

IMO motor oil just cant measure up

I used to run straight STP in my 4 speed Panhead It shifted good til around November in Minnesota The tranny leaked real bad, back then there was NO good fix 4 the 4 speeds

https://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49, read this I am not a sales person, BUT This stuff WORKS JMO

My 14 has over 20K on it and it bangs through most of the gears. And that's with Redline.

I was told to turn the radio up and it won't be as bad! :clapping:

I never use anything lighter than 75-90 wt in the transmission. I would suggest 75-110 or 75-140 Amsoil.:cxtv:

My 14 has over 20K on it and it bangs through most of the gears. And that's with Redline.

I was told to turn the radio up and it won't be as bad! :clapping:

I dunno what is going on with ur tranny

I have yet to C a tranny not quieted down with Redline with Shockproof

I dunno what is going on with ur tranny

I have yet to C a tranny not quieted down with Redline with Shockproof

Service Writer at the local dealer told me his Bagger is the same way and they have tried everything to quiet it down.

A parts guy at another dealership told me it's caused by me not clutching and shifting correctly (after 50 years of riding).

I have Redline Shockproof Heavy in my 2017 Tri as I have in all my bikes since 2000 I have also used Belray Gear saver, It will quite the trans down some but makes shifting a lot easier than any motor oil . It still makes noise.

Believe it or not... And i know most will not...Harley engineers did extensive testing on the perceived Noise, Clunking ETC, They tried everything to stop it, Different cluch plates, Even Magic Oils, And what they have determined, It is cause by the EPA's strict mandate on sound levels.... When they equipped their test bike with an open exhaust and a free flowing air cleaner' The transmission noise and clunking was all but eradicated.....:Shrug:

Believe it or not... And i know most will not...Harley engineers did extensive testing on the perceived Noise, Clunking ETC, They tried everything to stop it, Different cluch plates, Even Magic Oils, And what they have determined, It is cause by the EPA's strict mandate on sound levels.... When they equipped their test bike with an open exhaust and a free flowing air cleaner' The transmission noise and clunking was all but eradicated.....:Shrug:

Yup, and to further more this

A constant mesh tranny is going to clunk some NO MATTER WHAT lube u use

It is too bad HD cannot figure out a way to make a full synchro tranny with out making a case bigger than what we have now, PLUS keeping the expense and weight down to make the bean counters happy

This is JMO

A clunking (extremely loud ) tranny is unacceptable to me now days JMO

All gears. My other bike were never this noisy. Maybe they forgot to put oil in the trany?

I had a lot of bikes over the years .Mostly Japanese, And Some were noisier , and some not, My Victory was noisier than my 11 Tri, But my 17 is quieter than my 11Tri....I had a new Honda 929, That sounded like you were hitting the case's with a hammer going though the gears...I guess its all perception...:Shrug:

Well, I had my 1000 mile check-up. I had them put Bel Ray Transmission Saver in it. Big difference with the shifting noise. New trikes come the Black oil filter. I've always put the Chrome filter on my bikes. When I got the trike back, sure as hell, they put a Black filter on it. Bastards.

Well, I had my 1000 mile check-up. I had them put Bel Ray Transmission Saver in it. Big difference with the shifting noise. New trikes come the Black oil filter. I've always put the Chrome filter on my bikes. When I got the trike back, sure as hell, they put a Black filter on it. Bastards.

I like the way u talk and I agree, if u wanted the chrome 1 then yup they r batards

When i had my thousand mile done they asked, Me if i wanted chrome nope! black is good enough for me...Im surprised they didn't ask...:Shrug:

When i had my thousand mile done they asked, Me if i wanted chrome nope! black is good enough for me...Im surprised they didn't ask...:Shrug:

Ya, me too. All my 16 other Harley's had Chrome, and I never had to ask. Granted thier about 3 or 4 dollars more. But I can afford it. Just saying.

I also use Bel-Ray 85W-140 in my 2014. WAY BETTER than just engine oil.

Choose ANY real gear oil product for your transmission and you will be much happier.

FWIW I use H-D Formula+ in my Primary .... again an oil specifically designed for primary/clutch.

Bob :Dorag:

Just an up-date for the noisy shift. When I had the Bel-ray put in the tranny. It worked way better than the stuff they put in at the factory. Well, I've noticed that when the trike is cold, I could'nt even tell that it shifted it was so quiet. After it warmed up, there came my old noisy shift back. Maybe it will get better with time? I don't know. Damn, I thought I had it fixed.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png