Throw out bearing

Well, that sucks, Bob!!!

Did you have to drive it home without a clutch? Always a treat. :p

I was about 100 miles away and could not get it into gear. So I had it towed home. Cost a lot of $$$

Now I have coverage on the trike so if something like that happens again AAA will tow it home.

The new clutch arrived today. I have it on the engine and the throw out bearing on the Trany.

Now have to wait for my son to help me lift the engine in place tomorrow.

I usually put the tranny in first gear with the engine off and start it in first. Then just compression shift the rest of the time. :p

There must be a trick to do this. I tried it several times with no luck. People have told me in he past it can be done but I can not get it to work

Got the new clutch and bearing installed and the engine back on the trany

Took it for a ride today

Need to do some other maintenance while I have the back seat off.

Everything should be back together tomorrow

The Ol'Lady and I have a trip planned for Sunday.

I am cleaning things up while I have it apart.

I don't have any leaks that I know of (not loosing oil from the engine or trany or have oil on the shop floor) but the under side of the engine, trany and frame were very dirty. Not oily dirty, thick, black greasy stuff, had to scrape a few areas clean before wiping and painting

My Trike has been back together and was running good since my last post.

Now I have a howling noise every time I push in the clutch. It just started the other day.

It does not howl when the clutch is ingaged

It sounds like when I have had a wheel bearing go out on other cars

I think it is the new throw out bearing.

I will have to pull the engine and look at it soon

I ordered one but it is a little different then the last one I put in

It has a rounded mating surface like this one

1.jpg

The last one had a flat surface like this

2.jpg

Can I use this or do I need to order a different bearing?????

The flat one used to be considered the good one.

The stamped round face was considered the cheepo.

The last one I got was advertised as a good hd one for the high pressure clutches. It came in as a round face. Used it anyway. Seems to be ok.

The flat one used to be considered the good one.

The stamped round face was considered the cheepo.

The last one I got was advertised as a good hd one for the high pressure clutches. It came in as a round face. Used it anyway. Seems to be ok.

Thanks

I will give it a try

I'm sure you know there are two different style bearings for the vub. Depends on pressure plate style and or whether your trans has the snout for the bearing to ride on.

I'm sure you know there are two different style bearings for the vub. Depends on pressure plate style and or whether your trans has the snout for the bearing to ride on.

Yep knew that.

I have a standard clutch

This is the type of bearing that is in there now

2.jpg

I ordered the same but got one in that has a rounded surface

Well that picture is the style that goes to the pressure plate with what looks like a big washer on it. The rounded ones I always thought went directly on the clutch fingers. And that style needs the snout to keep it centered. Of course I've been wrong before.

Well that picture is the style that goes to the pressure plate with what looks like a big washer on it. The rounded ones I always thought went directly on the clutch fingers. And that style needs the snout to keep it centered. Of course I've been wrong before.

my pressure plate does have the "big washer" on it

I made my old clutch (from a previous replacement) into a table but you can still see what it was

Table 3-1.jpg

I do not want to do the work another time after this.

I will just order 1 that I know is correct.

Anyone have any suggestions on a quality one to order

Ok just wanted to be sure you knew. Can't help with parts, there are no quality parts far as I know. I had a brand new chinese bearing make noise immediately, took it out cut it apart. Wow no grease at all nothin and thats probably 20 years ago. You would think they would've gotten better over the years but apparently not.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png