Adjusting Parking Brake

52edub

Jun 14, 2015
Yorktown, VA
My parking brake isn't holding the bike anymore. I got the service manual out and unloosened the nut holding the hex rod. When I turn the rod it rotates the round tube the cable runs through. Do I need to visegrip that down to make adjustments?

My parking brake isn't holding the bike anymore. I got the service manual out and unloosened the nut holding the hex rod. When I turn the rod it rotates the round tube the cable runs through. Do I need to visegrip that down to make adjustments?

What year free do you have...?

Year doesn't matter. Just hold the cable cover with your hand

See # 29, hold the front of this with a pliars while you turn the barrel

HD15FLHTCUTG033.gif

I've never needed anything other than wrenches. Loosen up the jamb nut and then turn the hex rod with a wrench. Everything will rotate as needed. Sometimes it will take a bit of tension before everything rotates along the cable path. Adjust so it holds on the 4th click down.

Bob :Dorag:

Sometimes it will take a bit of tension before everything rotates along the cable Bob, if u hold the front part of the adjuster u should not feel the tension, I can then turn the adjuster barrel with my fingers. Try it next time just for grins and let me know if it works 4 u

The hex rod finally broke free and I got the brake adjusted. Probably two years of water spray really made it tight. I ran it out more than needed and put some anti-sieze on it before I adjusted to where it holds the bike.

The hex rod finally broke free and I got the brake adjusted. Probably two years of water spray really made it tight. I ran it out more than needed and put some anti-sieze on it before I adjusted to where it holds the bike.

Good job, put the rubber boot back on, I like to pack a bit of

shopping
in the boot and use new zip ties front and back on the boot

Squirt it with some penetrating oil, wait a bit and then grab the round portion of the rod (pliers or visegrips) while turning the hex portion with a wrench. Mine broke free very quickly. I turned it way past what I needed so could add some anti sieze to the rod. Adjusted per service manual tires on the ground.

Parking Brake

I'm new to TT. Last night I was thinking about my parking brake and it not holding. So this morning I did a search here on TT. Found the exact answer to the problem. Thanks guys for the help. Also you can start a trike in gear. Pull until the clutch, put your foot on the brake and hit the start switch.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png