Entering VW Trikes in Hot Rod/Motorbike events

Gator Monroe

Reaction score
There are two local Events on horizon (Hot Rods & Hogs in Cottonwood Ca. ) (Big Bike Weekend in Shasta County/Redding Ca.) and I'm wondering what class/classes are best for VW Trikes ??? (There seem to be a lot of Options beyond just "Trike Class" like "Motorcycle Pre 68 " and "Novelty" but getting Info on the actual Classes of the Shows is sketchy prior to event . Are there other classes you folks have encountered that I could opt for there at Sign Up ???

There are two local Events on horizon (Hot Rods & Hogs in Cottonwood Ca. ) (Big Bike Weekend in Shasta County/Redding Ca.) and I'm wondering what class/classes are best for VW Trikes ??? (There seem to be a lot of Options beyond just "Trike Class" like "Motorcycle Pre 68 " and "Novelty" but getting Info on the actual Classes of the Shows is sketchy prior to event . Are there other classes you folks have encountered that I could opt for there at Sign Up ???

image.jpg

Won this with my Painstaking and years in process recreation piece by piece Replica of the 1975 Baja 500 winning Harley Davidson 250 Desert Racer ( Original now in Harley Davidson museum in Wisconsin )

I never won anything with My trike.

The most common class it fits in here is "special construction".

I will tell ya a story about getting 4th place once.

Later though.

Ok story time.

I was once at a bike gathering and there was a show. Bike events usually have classes like bagger, bobber, trike, custom, full custom, ect.

The full custom was small so I tryed that class.

4 in the class.

A stock hardley with lot of chromey bits. I did not see how this fit in the class.

A store bought I think it was a big dawg as that is a southern store builder near here. I suppose to some this is a full custom even if it is assembled from off the shelf parts.

A bobber styled hardley on a stock frame but with quite a few self made parts. This one I would call "custom" but not "full". I would say this one was the only other one that truly should be even close to being in this class for a show.

Then me with my front engined vw in a motorcycle size frame.

Guess what.... I did not even place, self made parts bobber got third, chromey got second, And store bought got first.

On a different note......

At a rally the trike guys just walk on by.....indifferent.... and over to the store bought trikes.

The motorcycle guys are the ones all over it but they walk right on by the trikes and over to me.

BTW the First Place in Novelty that year was a Newer Store Bought Red & Chrome Honda Trike (With 3-4 others of different colors like it around the showgrounds & parking lots) beating out my Uber Rare Harley Racer . The following year Big Bike Weekend added a "Trike Class"

Hello, This comung weekend 9-9-17 Slidel, La. is having there Crab Fest with a car and bike show. I talked to someone about entering and they did not mention different classes. Maybe because the proceeds go to charity or they will ask when I pay my entry fee. I've never entered a show. I figure if they have an unusual or odd class, that would be for mine. If they have different classes, I will post next week where they put mine. Thanks for your time

Iv'e always been drawn to the odd and unusual . that said.... I have great respect for those that can restore to better than new. People just vote for what they want or like.

Looks like "Big Bike Weekend" Shasta County Fairgrounds/Raceway will be first show I will enter this trike . So far the classes I'm considering are (Motorcycle pre 68) (Trike) (Novelty) (Work in Progress) (Custom/Homebuilt or whatever that class is called) ... I will take Trike to Fairgrounds by trailer and enter The Judged Competition "Show & Shine" on the Sunday of the Event (Which is a big event in Redding Area for many years rivaling the Huge "Cool April Nights " Hot Rod & Custom/Vintage Car Show that is attended by folks from all over the Western States and the rest of California.

OK , so the Class offerings were sparse (No Trike ) (No Novelty) (No Competition Machine)... So I rolled the dice and entered the Trike in (Vintage 1970 & earlier ) and the Harley Davidson Motocrosser in (Special Construction) and it paid off with 1st Place Trophies for each class . I knew the rarity of the Harley Racer could have it in the Running but the Trike was a Stretch in Vintage 1970 & earlier as it has the 67 Single port Motor but unknown provenance on the rest of the concoction . I was interviewed on TV News as I was the only double 1st place winner and espoused how I love bringing out the Rare Machines to inspire other Motorcyclists & collectors of our sport ...(Dance)(Dance)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png