no brake lights on trailer

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Goldwing trike with a csc kit. I recently purchased a nomad trailer to pull behind. The problem is the brake lights don't work on the trailer, It has the flat 4 wire connection and plugs end to the wire from the trike. Tail lights work, and both signal lights work, but when you apply the brakes there is no current coming from the trike to turn on the brake lights. The brake light and turn signals are all in one light on the trailer, not like the separate lights on the trike.Do I need a special plug adapter or maybe my trike was wired correctly at time of conversion. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Hogfan....

The 4 wires should be

1. ground (white wire)

2. running lights (brown wire)

3. left turn and stop (yellow wire)

4. right turn and stop (green wire)

Have you checked to see if you get voltage from the bike when you step on the brakes?

The 4 wires shou1. ground (white wire)

2. running lights (brown wire)

3. left turn and stop (yellow wire)

4. right turn and stop (green wire)

Have you checked to see if you get voltage from the bike when you step on the brakes?

Yes i have checked, there is no voltage coming from the bike when you apply the brakes.

Yes i have checked, there is no voltage coming from the bike when you apply the brakes.

Ok.

I'm not familiar with the CSC conversion wiring. Hopefully someone has a wiring diagram they can share or maybe CSC can send you one.

I think it depends on the isolator kit purchased for your Wing on weather it can be a 4 pin or a 5 pin. To test, take a test light and see if the wires coming to the trailer connector from the Wings operate as described above.

OH ... I see you have already done that. That probably means that a 5 pin isolator kit is needed. I always order mine from here. Because you have trike, it will probably not be plug-n-play.

If someone else uses a 4-pin, and has both turns and brake lights that work correctly, please let me know.

Reactions: GRR
I have a 2006 Goldwing trike with a csc kit. I recently purchased a nomad trailer to pull behind. The problem is the brake lights don't work on the trailer, It has the flat 4 wire connection and plugs end to the wire from the trike. Tail lights work, and both signal lights work, but when you apply the brakes there is no current coming from the trike to turn on the brake lights. The brake light and turn signals are all in one light on the trailer, not like the separate lights on the trike.Do I need a special plug adapter or maybe my trike was wired correctly at time of conversion. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Hogfan....

Back in 2000 (17 years ago) I had the same problem. The trailer work well behind the family car but not the trike. A friend recommended I add separate turn signals and go with a five pin connection. I did as he suggested and it worked. Haven't had a problem since.

Gideon-1.JPG

First Trike 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade with a Tri-King conversion

100_0556.jpg

Now ride a 2003 Valkyrie with a cSc conversion

Last edited:
What others are saying is what I thought. The trailer must have separate brake and turn signal bulbs with a 5 wire plug. The CSC above also supports that. 5 wires are required for trailer wiring, and a 6th wire is used for an interior light.

Here is what makes a GL1800 different then a car. On a car, in its turn signal switch not only turns a turn signal on, but it turns the brake light on that side off. Our turn signal switch does not have that function, thus on a GL1800 all turn bulbs and brake light bulbs run on a separate circute.

What others are saying is what I thought. The trailer must have separate brake and turn signal bulbs with a 5 wire plug. The CSC above also supports that. 5 wires are required for trailer wiring, and a 6th wire is used for an interior light.

Here is what makes a GL1800 different then a car. On a car, in its turn signal switch not only turns a turn signal on, but it turns the brake light on that side off. Our turn signal switch does not have that function, thus on a GL1800 all turn bulbs and brake light bulbs run on a separate circute.

You are correct, after further investigation the wire from the trike is a 6 post, top row has 4 wires and the second row has 2, the 4 wire connection will plug into the top row, but the brake lite is one on the second row. Thanks for your help

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png