1700 miles and one grizzly

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
I got up the gumption to take a 1700 mile trike trip with my cousin Darrell that included Yellowstone park in Wyoming, Montana's wise river and into the Idaho panhandle before heading to Pocatello to see mom.

The entire trip was so smoky my oxygen machine got a hell of a work out and although I'm not in the best of condition we camped out the entire way.

There is a new motorcycle campground outside Wapiti Wyoming (30 miles from park entrance and an equal distance from Cody, Wyoming) called "wheels of wonderment" that is very nicely set up for bikers with great accommodations including cabins if you wish. Camp sites are $20.00 per night.

the shower facility even has a free massage chair for end of the day relaxing.

the owners are very friendly and Pete offers guided trips over Chief Joseph highway and is a motorcycle enthusiast in his own right.

Darrell and I needed no guide as we have been here many times.

DSCF3640 (600 x 448).jpg

Backtracking to Cody, Wyoming allows us to go over Chief Joseph highway and brought us to the road going over the bear tooth highway into Montana.

The smoke was so thick up there we wouldn't have been able to see much so we decided to pass on the beartooth and enter into the park through Cooke city.

That was a disappointment as the Chief Joseph and the beartooth highway are one of the premier rides in the country.

Chief Joseph summit

DSCF3642 (600 x 448).jpg

Chief Joseph highway.

As you can see it is a winding road and helps feed my need for the high country.

DSCF3644 (600 x 448).jpg

We made our way around the park taking two days to enjoy all it attractions.

This is Mammoth hot springs.

You can see the way the sediments from the springs have created a world of wonder?

DSCF3648 (600 x 448).jpg

Mammoth.

DSCF3653 (600 x 448).jpg

Mammoth

DSCF3654 (448 x 600).jpg

My main reason for going was my need to see the grand canyon of the Yellowstone's again before I kick the bucket.

I always find this sight life affirming, It's natural wonder and beauty always revives my soul.

Canyon below the falls at Yellowstone.

trust me this a very deep canyon and the colors it creates on the canyon walls are breathtaking.

This is nature at it's finest.

DSCF3657 (600 x 448).jpg

The falls from the southern canyon rim.

The Yellowstone river runs through Hayden valley in a sedate manner and you would never imagine that it suddenly becomes a behemoth and tumbles thousands of feet into a chasm, The noise can be deafening, The river becomes a raging monster and one of the most inspiring sights you will ever see.

DSCF3660 (448 x 600).jpg

Sothern canyon rim.

DSCF3670 (448 x 600).jpg

Southern rim.

As I said the river runs very sedately and there is a bridge that allows you to cross above the falls to the northern rim.

DSCF3671 (448 x 600).jpg

more 1700 miles

A shot as close as I could get to the head of the falls, Watching it is mesmerizing and can leave you weak at the knees.

DSCF4724 (600 x 450).jpg

This is the devils mouth in Hayden valley, The temperature of the water makes this cavern surge as if it is breathing.

DSCF3672 (448 x 600).jpg

Yellowstone below Mammoth hot springs.

The smoke is getting to be a factor for me.

DSCF4679 (600 x 450).jpg

Somewhere in Hayden valley

Hayden Valley close to lake Yellowstone is an area where wildlife viewing is a certainty. I guarantee herds of bison, perhaps elk, wolves and the place where I have seen the most grizzly bear presence over the years.

DSCF4682 copy (600 x 434).jpg

There was a bull bison killed in the rut on the edge of the Yellowstone river and there was a boar grizzly feeding on the carcass.

my physical condition didn't allow me to get anywhere near range to take a photo but I could prop my cane on a guardrail for a good look through my binoculars.

This boar grizzly was huge and seeing it on the carcass for comparison drove home it's size.

I watched some Asian tourist get a might to close before a ranger hauled him back, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to see a mauling?

I really don't understand some people, That bear will kill him and it's going to hurt the entire time he is dying.

With my binoculars I could see a couple wolves along the tree line awaiting their turn at feeding.

DSCF4737 (600 x 450).jpg

Along the wise river route in Montana outside Victor, Idaho.

DSCF4748 (600 x 450).jpg

Cousin Darrell in a photo op somewhere near the Montana/Idaho border.

DSCF4749 (600 x 450).jpg

Cousins by birth, Brothers by choice.

DSCF4754 (600 x 450).jpg

Way Kewl Paul .. sorry you didn't get all out of it you hoped, but, also glad you got to see the canyon once more. It is breathtaking and always brings a smile to my heart as well.

Be well my friend.

Sounds like the 2 of you had a fun trip Paul.

I'm also a bit jealous, as I'm no longer able to physically "camp" in a tent out in nature. Enjoyed my fair share as a youngster though, so all is not lost.

Glad you got the opportunity to do the trip, and thanks for the pics!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png