Hello From Seymour, WI

TripWire

Reaction score
Just introducing myself. I'm one of those IT guys for a full time job and an Off-Ice official for a local USHL hockey team (they pay me to watch hockey!). Have two bikes. A 2010 Indian Chief Dark Horse and a new to me 2004 Goldwing CSC (purple) we are calling Gilbert (or maybe Barney). My wife had a incident on her bike with a car about 8 years ago and has never been comfortable on two wheels since. We have rented trikes a few times and she really enjoyed being a copilot so last Friday we pulled the trigger and purchased a trike. Other that the conversion it was pretty much stock, the only changes we have made so far arm rest for my copilot. Now I need to check out the forum to see what else I "need". Maybe some driver floorboards, highway pegs, mount for my Garmin Zumo 660 and to troubleshoot the rear speakers. They are currently not working most of the time.

37122550692_9f0e669f19_b.jpg

37104457446_fcce3d9cd1_b.jpg

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

If the rear speakers work intermittently, I would say to check the connections and if it has volume controls for the rear seat, check that.

Nice trike, great color! We also have a 2004 in Kelly Magenta Metallic (Honda's name for that color - the State of Missouri has it titled as "Purple") BTW, it is a 1 year only color for Gold Wings, therefore a rare and unusual color.

As far as the accessories, get a Custom Chrome, Big Bike Parts and a Kuryakyn catalog. Check out websites like CycleMax, Wingstuff, Chromeworld, etc. You'll soon be overwhelmed by the stuff you can put on a Goldwing. Oh, a high-limit credit card will be handy, too. ;)

When we got our trike it had most of the stuff I would have added anyway. The only Must-Haves were some more lighting in the rear - I added Hyperlites and some red LED running/brake light strips - a set of Baker wind deflectors - hand wings, wind wings, and trike wings - and a Diamond Custom seat - we routinely do 400 - to 500 mile days, so the stock seat didn't work and Gloria found the passenger backrest uncomfortable.

And lastly for now, an unsolicited insurance tip. A 2004 stock Goldwing in excellent condition has a Kelly blue book value of about $6000 trade in and just over $9000 retail. Unless you get an Agreed Value coverage policy, or a company that will insure the trike as a unit (rare), most insurance companies will insure the original bike as it came stock from the factory. That unit now is missing the rear wheel, fender, saddlebags, much of the drive-train and other assorted parts. The original motorcycle part of the trike is now worth much less than a 2 wheeler of the same year and condition.

Everything else is an accessory - all the chrome, aftermarket seats, pin striping/graphics, foot pegs and such. Even the trike kit itself. Anything that didn't come from the factory needs to be insured under a Customization or Accessory rider. Our insurance will pay 100% of the customization added equipment up to the maximum covered. I went over the trike and documented the price of all added items with aftermarket catalogs, the trike kit (including paint and labor) and added $2000 more accessory coverage. Every insurance company is a bit different, and each state has their own rules, so YMMV. Talk to your insurance person to make sure the whole trike, including accessories, is covered.

You can see a few of the add-ons in the picture below, like the Baker wings, Ring of Fire, aftermarket windshield and a few other farkles: (Wife is not insured as an accessory)

Attachments

• maggie Valley.jpg
    maggie Valley.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 152

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png