Bleeding the brakes on a Lehman II on a 2007 GL1800

Jun 22, 2017
Spokane, WA USA
Fellow Trikers...

This weekend I undertook the bleeding of my brakes since they were spongy. Not sure why or how it happened, but it did. So, read the book on the GL1800 and started bleeding the brakes, starting with the Left Front Caliper. When we go to the rear calipers, I was greeted with a surprise. There are TWO brake lines to each caliper. We bled both of them several times before getting the air out of the system. Well, after a short test drive, the brakes are still spongy and now the front ones grab pretty hard. Before, the foot pedal went to the floor board and had to pump it several times before getting any braking. Now I pump it twice and look out. The front takes a dive. So, I'm being careful on the use of the rear brake. Now, I'm going to replace the pads on the rear and maybe the front as well and bleed the brakes again. I looked at the installation manual for the Lehman Monarch II kit and in the AFTER diagram it appears the PCV valve is NO longer in the system. But I'm not able to really determine that. The after Diagram is found on page 14 of the Lehman Monarch II Installation manual.

So, my questions are:

Question 1; Is this the case? Is PCV valve no longer in the system.

Question 2; Why is there two brake lines to each rear caliper and can someone give me a theory of operation of why.

Question 3; What is the proper way to bleed all these lines.

Question 4; How many times do YOU bleed each line. I've seen anywhere from 10 to 15+ times. At this stage of the game, going to get yet another can of DOT4, maybe two and see about flushing out all the lines.

Any help that you folks can give is greatly appreciated.

Ride Safe my friends..

Chuck

Update

Well, I have an update now. Thanks to Lee, I have the proper procedure to bleed the brakes. Thank you Lee. With that being said, here is an update. Yesterday, we started the process of bleeding the lines once again. But this time I replaced the rear pads and glad I did, they needed it. So, once that was done, we started bleeding the brakes and we found something. Now, we didn't see a leak before, no fluid on the ground or anything. Not until I took the right caliper off. First attempt at bleeding, I hear this "Stop, we have a leak." I looked and yep, there sure was. It was at the "T-Block" and it was from the Banjo Bolts from the Master Cylinder. It looked like it was coming from the Lower Bolt and so we removed the bolt, checked the block, check the bolt, the washers and the coupling itself. Nothing out of the ordinary. It all looked good, so we put it all back together. Wrong, still had a leak. And it looked worse. So, looked at the book again and it stated that the oil washers be replaced whenever you break the line. So, got the part number and off to the Honda shop we go. I asked for two and then decided, maybe I should get four. Don't know why but I did. Removed the bottom bolt again and replaced both the inner and outer washers. Tightened the bolt and tested. Darn it, still had a leak. This was the lower line. Got a better look and found the leak was from the SUP line, the upper line. Alex went to loosen the bolt and it was already loose. Well, we found the culprit. Removed the bolt to see what was going on. Bolt removed and there was only ONE washer. Thinking we dropped it, checked the surrounding area and nothing found. Now, I find it hard to believe that it was this way from the beginning. I recently had the Pinion Gears replaced by a Honda shop and they completed the brake recall. I can't prove it, but I'm thinking they took the lines off to replace the gears and didn't put in the washer. Anyway, now I know the reason why I bought four washers. They are a CRUSH washer. Lesson learned. Bled the brakes and life is wonderful. Still have questions why two lines to each caliper though. Only one piston, but there must be a reason. Bottom line, I now have rear brakes and the front doesn't dive like it did. I'm going to be purchasing some additional Oil Bolt washers along with some extra crush washers for the oil drain plug too.

:clap::clap::clap::scooter::scooter::scooter::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Chuck

Still have questions why two lines to each caliper though. Only one piston, but there must be a reason. Bottom line, I now have rear brakes and the front doesn't dive like it did.

:clap::clap::clap::scooter::scooter::scooter::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Chuck

STEP PISTON.jpg

The caliper has 2 different bores and the piston is a step piston similar to above. That is why there are 2 lines.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png