Lexington Park, MD
Hi all,

The trike kit I'm going to have installed has this on its price sheet:

"Bank Angle Switch Kit: 2014 and newer model year motorcycles: required"

What is a Bank Angle Switch?

Tks....

Seeya...

It's a pain in the ---

The "bank angle sensor" shuts off the engine if the lean angle exceeds a set limit, such as when a bike is laid down. It's a safety feature mandated by the government. My only experience with it was on my 2015 Harley Freewheeler when the engine began to sputter and die. The LED screen read "Tilt" which I had to look up in the owner's manual I kept in the trunk. Each time I tried to start it, it would shut down. Dealership discovered the "bank angle sensor" was faulty and replaced it under warranty. If you ask me, stupid idea for a trike.

The "bank angle sensor" shuts off the engine if the lean angle exceeds a set limit, such as when a bike is laid down. It's a safety feature mandated by the government. My only experience with it was on my 2015 Harley Freewheeler when the engine began to sputter and die. The LED screen read "Tilt" which I had to look up in the owner's manual I kept in the trunk. Each time I tried to start it, it would shut down. Dealership discovered the "bank angle sensor" was faulty and replaced it under warranty. If you ask me, stupid idea for a trike.

"If you ask me, stupid idea for a trike"

Absolutely, if anything it should be on two wheelers.

Thank you!

Hi all,

The trike kit I'm going to have installed has this on its price sheet:

"Bank Angle Switch Kit: 2014 and newer model year motorcycles: required"

What is a Bank Angle Switch?

Tks....

Seeya...

When I added my Frankenstein kit to my 2016 HD Softail Slim S it would cut off when taking corners aggressively and display tilt. After discovering it was the bank angle sensor I had the dealership reprogram it to trike mode. It only took a few minutes and they didn't even charge me for it. This took care of the problem and it never happened since. Good Luck!!

Shop to replace my Bank Angle Sensor tomorrow on my 2011 Tri Glide

Should be interesting. They said it (BAS) was bad when i had trouble starting it a few times. The Tri Glide is new to me and it is my first Harley. Had a red Key Symbol illuminated engage cluster when i bought it and they told me it was probably just a low battery in the FOB. Being new to the Harley, I thought ok and when I replaced the FOB battery still had the issue, Thats when they said it looked like the Bank Angle Sensor was bad (no TILT in display) and would have to order one. They said they disabled the BAS function via software and I have not had a starting or running issue since. Going in tomorrow to have it installed and can't wait to see if the light goes away.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png