Honda Accord trike

falconvan

Sep 27, 2017
Festus, Missouri, USA
Hey all, new member taking a shot at building my first trike. This car was my daily work driver for a few years, then my son's college driver and now it's back to me. Still runs excellent; has a 2.3L Vtec engine and a 5 speed manual trans. Just finished cutting the front end free last week and am planning what to do for a frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 346

welcome to trike talk. Pat......it looks like you took the plunge. It will be interesting to watch the build, any ideas for the front end?? Larry

Thanks, Larry. I'm looking at leading link and girder designs; I like them both. This whole motorcycle build direction is new to me so it's cool to try something different. One of my questions has been that since I'm using a manual transmission I'm wondering about the feasibility of being able to work a standard five speed shifter while controlling the bike one handed. I've only ridden a handful of bikes over the years and I'm wondering about the safety of using handlebars one-handed while shifting with the other, especially with my wife on the back. I'm planning on all foot operated pedals so I think that will help. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Larry. I'm looking at leading link and girder designs; I like them both. This whole motorcycle build direction is new to me so it's cool to try something different. One of my questions has been that since I'm using a manual transmission I'm wondering about the feasibility of being able to work a standard five speed shifter while controlling the bike one handed. I've only ridden a handful of bikes over the years and I'm wondering about the safety of using handlebars one-handed while shifting with the other, especially with my wife on the back. I'm planning on all foot operated pedals so I think that will help. Any suggestions?

welcome to our madness lol

personally i would go with the LL you can easily change the trail, ride height, shocks and springs ... and will be a lot more rigid than the girder (not the ride) many trikes are manual... with the right geometry on the front end you should have no issues

stace

My first build was a vw trike with a manual shift and leading link front end, with the front set up correctly, holding on with one hand while shifting was not an issue. I currently ride a v8 trike that I hope to switch to a leading link front soon. Build to your needs and post pic.

falconvan......check out last winter trike...I used a homemade leading link with a springer look built in 2 in. of trail, steers great light and stable...5 spd. left hand shift, no problems w/steer and shifting.....only thing to watch, if backing up fast, hold handle bar with a stiff arm.....it will want to turn!! stable forward....backing up...not so stable....the nature of the beast! also all foot control....sorting out some engine issues, and needing fenders and body panels.....Larry

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado. Oh Boy, another build thread. Lots of pics please and insight on why you made the choices you will make, ya know, basic strategy.

Started on the engine cage, not the prettiest but I've got one side mocked up and tacked together. As soon as I get a motor mount built for this side I'll start on the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 293
Saw a trike a guy made from a Pontiac Fiero.

Engine is in the rear. Technically a mid-engine since engine is in front of the tranny.

He did a real good job on it.

Maybe he is on this board and can post some pics.

???

think I got confused......thought you said, left hand shifting, but you didn't.

So the transmission will be on your right hand side, if you sit in front of the transaxle??

think I got confused......thought you said, left hand shifting, but you didn't.

So the transmission will be on your right hand side, if you sit in front of the transaxle??

I'm not really sure yet, Larry. I'm not going to have any controls on the handlebars; just going with a standard three pedal setup so it could go on either side. I would think having it on the right would feel more natural but I'm right handed so I don't know if I should be holding on to the handlebars with that hand while I shift. Or maybe it doesn't make a difference; what have other guys done with their shifter?

the 2.2 chrysler 5spd that i used' has the transmission on the left side.....with me sitting forward of the drivetrain. I mounted the shifter on the left and am running 1/2 in. aluminum rods/with small heims for linkage. had to fabricate some mechanism on the transmission itself. works good, easy to get used to. am using push and hold buttons on the handlebars. down shifting and signaling for a left turn is a problem, thinking of getting a timed setup for signals or mounting turns switches on the shifter?? am busy with fuel injection problems at the moment.

I've the cage tacked together; time for some finish welding plus adding some gussets to the strut and upper control arm mounts. Then I think I'll start getting the frame rails figured out.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 174

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png