Iridium spark plugs

lightnin

Nov 22, 2016
groesbeck texas usa
Any of you guys running these in your tri glide ? I ran them in my last bike because it had two plugs per jug and you had to pull the gas tank to change the plugs, just like you going to have to do on the new engine HD came out with.

Any of you guys running these in your tri glide ? I ran them in my last bike because it had two plugs per jug and you had to pull the gas tank to change the plugs, just like you going to have to do on the new engine HD came out with.

Apples to Oranges, I only tried them once and that was on my Spyder [Hence the Apples to Oranges] and i pulled them out after about 5 hundred miles, I felt a slight hesitation on take off, Put the old plugs back in and no hesitation...

Now it might of been just those plugs, who knows but out they came....:Shrug:

I have checked a lot of plugs OHM wise

I have found huge scale readings from many

I like Iridium plugs

The Twin Cams did not mind them too much(I ran Autolites)

I can get my M8 plugs out with out lifting the tank on my Freewheeler, I dunno about a Tri Glide

Spark plugs are mysterious little buggers, I always used Champion in my Cars for drag racing days, 64 Cuda,..65 442,..68 440 Charger.. Never liked them in bikes? I would cut the electro back, And run them for only about 5 1/4 mile runs, then throw them away....I should have copyrighted the idea .:Shrug:

I can't speak to the M8's, but on Twin Cams we did a lot of testing several years back with several different brands of Iridium plugs, including the HD brand.

None of them performed as well in the 3 Twin Cams we tested (2 EFI and 1 carbed) as the OEM plug.

Sort of surprised us, but it is what it is.

Kevin

I can't speak to the M8's, but on Twin Cams we did a lot of testing several years back with several different brands of Iridium plugs, including the HD brand.

None of them performed as well in the 3 Twin Cams we tested (2 EFI and 1 carbed) as the OEM plug.

Sort of surprised us, but it is what it is.

Kevin

From what I have read the only advantage of Iridium and Platinum is that the electrodes last longer than the standard copper. But with that being said they are not (particularly the Iridium) as good of conductors of electricity. From everything I think I know it is best to stick with the stock H-D spark plugs. Even the Screamin' Eagle plugs (along with their plug wires) are not worth the extra $$$$$.

I have checked a lot of plugs OHM wise

I have found huge scale readings from many

I like Iridium plugs

The Twin Cams did not mind them too much(I ran Autolites)

I can get my M8 plugs out with out lifting the tank on my Freewheeler, I dunno about a Tri Glide

Basically the same sub frame up front I believe. Thus, the tri should be no different. Now that I own two of the critters, it would be in my best interest to query my indie. And, are things starting to return to normal over your way ?

Basically the same sub frame up front I believe. Thus, the tri should be no different. Now that I own two of the critters, it would be in my best interest to query my indie. And, are things starting to return to normal over your way ?

Yes, how r things in Texas

I would add to this

The ion sensing in TC and the M8 can and do detect spark knock thru the spark plugs

The M8 has knock sensors also and can advance and retard timing better

IMO the HD plain Jane or Champion and Autolite plugs are the best choices

Stay away from splitfire and fine wire lectrode plugs they can and do cause BIG problems

Yes, how r things in Texas

I would add to this

The ion sensing in TC and the M8 can and do detect spark knock thru the spark plugs

The M8 has knock sensors also and can advance and retard timing better

IMO the HD plain Jane or Champion and Autolite plugs are the best choices

Stay away from splitfire and fine wire lectrode plugs they can and do cause BIG problems

We are good here in Maypearl. Looks like LA, AL and the panhandlers of FL are going to get hit from this next one. They need to take my ex wife's broom away from her. When she flies on it drunk this is what happens. ;>) I am with you 100% on not using spitfire plugs. Like you, I prefer the Autolite or Champion. My individual stocks both :>)

Like i said before, From 64/65-68/ 69 i would cut back my plugs electro's, Champions J6 I picked up that trick from Sox and Martin...

And that would knock off about a 10th of second off my 1/4 miles times, a lot of times that was the difference between winning or losing.. But after about 5 runs my times would drop off....So five runs' pull them and toss them..

Like i said before, From 64/65-68/ 69 i would cut back my plugs electro's, Champions J6 I picked up that trick from Sox and Martin...

And that would knock off about a 10th of second off my 1/4 miles times, a lot of times that was the difference between winning or losing.. But after about 5 runs my times would drop off....So five runs' pull them and toss them..

End gaping, a little used any more racers trick

I remember doing this and indexing too

I could / would index for the first run, After that pulling 8 plugs around hot spaghetti headers between runs and trying to index them was a no-go..:Shrug:.

Yup, for the plus maybe 1 hp not really worth the effort any more especially with the modern fuels being what they are now

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png