Rear Tire Rotation

My tires are wearing perfectly even so I see no need to rotate. Rotating tires began in order to change the front to rear because they wear differently, IMO. Don't rebalance unless I need to. Also use beads in rears + original lead weight balance.

The only True way to rotate the rear tires on a trike is to dismount the tire off the rim and reverse the tire on the rim.........Unless you have directional tires...:Shrug:

But then with over 45 thousand miles on my 11 the tires were still good [Wearing even] when i traded it in..

The only True way to rotate the rear tires on a trike is to dismount the tire off the rim and reverse the tire on the rim.........Unless you have directional tires...:Shrug:

But then with over 45 thousand miles on my 11 the tires were still good [Wearing even] when i traded it in..

Okay...I'll bite. Exactly what does that buy that moving from one side to the other doesn't except empty your wallet more? Really, I'd like to know. Slightly new place on wheel and need to rebalance?:Shrug: Reversing the tire and keeping it on the same side I can see would put it under the exact same characteristics that would have caused whatever signs of wear you may have seen ding the same to the other side of that tire. While putting right over on the left and visa versa may put that tire under completely different characteristics for whatever that might mean. I'm honestly not sure which would be "best". I truly don't. To me whole new characteristics would be better but I really don't know now that I'm thinking my way thru it here. But then I've never been great at thinking.:xzqxz: Anyway, is that what you are getting at or something else totally?

My .02 cents.

Tire rotation was initiated on 4 wheeled vehicles to even up tire wear front to rear and crossed.

For me, I had approx. 20K on my Hannigan when it was sold. The rear tires showed very little wear and were "even" across the tread width. Never entered my mind to rotate.

RideOn was installed when trike conversion was new!

I think he means, to dismount the tire from its wheel and flip it around so that the outer sidewall is now inside, and then move the tire/wheel assembly to the other side of the trike. Doing it that way means that by rotating from side to side the tire still rolls in the same direction.

I see absolutely no need to rotate the back tires (left>right).... I don't do it on my cars or trucks.

When I do rotate on cars/trucks, it's front to back.

I think he means, to dismount the tire from its wheel and flip it around so that the outer sidewall is now inside, and then move the tire/wheel assembly to the other side of the trike. Doing it that way means that by rotating from side to side the tire still rolls in the same direction.

I guess I can see it but it still puts what was on the outside still on the outside when swapped. So I still don't get except direction of rotation. Doesn't make much sense except to make your wallet thinner to me. So what's the big advantage of direction of rotation?:confused:

Sometimes people rotate the tires on their trike ,Left to right, Right to left... Just give them something to do on a slow day...No other reason to do it....IMO.....:cxtv:

With 4 wheels rotating in an X pattern,Yes....

Since they should be replaced at 1/2 tread life, I don't think I'd rotate them just to rotate them. But if I they are coming off to have them balanced, then I would.

Here are some pictures of rear tires on a trike that is in my shop now. Obviously, his tires need replaced. The right one is worn well below it's wear bars and the left one is worn to it's wear bars. These tires should have been replace probably 20-25,000 miles ago.

DSCN9228.JPGDSCN9230.JPG

Ok now Im confused.

I was under the impression you cant rotate rear tires on a trike say left to right...... I have Goodrich TAs. Radials but non directional I believe. Havent ever really read the tires markings.

My right is a bit more worn then the left but not terribly at 27K miles. Ive obviously never switched them around. Ive always been of the school of front to rear on the same sides OK with 4 wheelers. But not left to right/right to left as on a trike????

Ok now Im confused.

I was under the impression you cant rotate rear tires on a trike say left to right...... I have Goodrich TAs. Radials but non directional I believe. Havent ever really read the tires markings.

My right is a bit more worn then the left but not terribly at 27K miles. Ive obviously never switched them around. Ive always been of the school of front to rear on the same sides OK with 4 wheelers. But not left to right/right to left as on a trike????

Unless you dismount the tires off the rims turn them around on the rim , it serves no purpose...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png